Tow rigs

jeffj

Caught the Bug
Half ton for life. I use a wore out 97 f-150 with 184k on the clock and a 18ft 3.5 ton big tex. I use weight distribution bars and keep the trailer brakes adjusted up. No problems tuggin it around the mountains of wv.

3/4 and one ton trucks are overkill anymore a new f-150 with the ecoboost 6 cyl can tow around 12k which is plenty to tote a jeep around. Doesn't need def, doesn't need fuel filters every other oil change, hell the oil change wont run you 100 bucks like a diesel. Gas is cheaper than diesel fuel, and a half ton is more comfortable to drive on a daily basis than a 3/4 or one ton.

Im not sayin to buy a janky ol half ton like i have, i run what i can afford. Im just saying dont overlook a half ton if youre in the market for a tow pig.

I can understand with the price of diesels and the price to run them, but if your going to pull a semi-heavy load safely you need the correct equipment. I also live in the hills of WV and I've lived on a 10% grade 5 mile mountain all my life. I have seen many people lose their life's on that mountain trying to trust your brakes. Safety is not about if the motor can pull it it's about the motor holding you back so you don't have trust your brakes. Most half ton trucks will just run on when you gear them down. I understand if you have a short way to go and just limp along, but if you going to do any substantial distance or load you really need to do it right.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

tippedover

Don't know a lot about trucks but looking at getting my first truck in the next few months looking at ram 2500s or chevy. The main question I have is on trailers, will go double axel (think..) but any thing worth staying away from wood planks on them etc... seems like there are a few ways to skin the cat on trailers. Any help would be great

Mizippi

Don't know a lot about trucks but looking at getting my first truck in the next few months looking at ram 2500s or chevy. The main question I have is on trailers, will go double axel (think..) but any thing worth staying away from wood planks on them etc... seems like there are a few ways to skin the cat on trailers. Any help would be great

A couple of things come to mind:

- trailer brakes are great...more the better
- wood floors are fine...and light
- you will haul more than you think...go big as you can
- I got a 20' trailer, but that long is not required
- I have pulled with 1/2 tons and 3/4 tons...again go as big as you can (my cummins laughs at the 11k lbs, but it is a beast to drive around town)

None of this is science, but I hope it helps.

tippedover

A couple of things come to mind:

- trailer brakes are great...more the better
- wood floors are fine...and light
- you will haul more than you think...go big as you can
- I got a 20' trailer, but that long is not required
- I have pulled with 1/2 tons and 3/4 tons...again go as big as you can (my cummins laughs at the 11k lbs, but it is a beast to drive around town)

None of this is science, but I hope it helps.

Do you have a 2500 or 3500? Is it worse than driving a big jeep around town?
How wide is your trailer 6.4? Was looking online at 20 footers think that is a good way to go

Mizippi

Do you have a 2500 or 3500? Is it worse than driving a big jeep around town?
How wide is your trailer 6.4? Was looking online at 20 footers think that is a good way to go

I have a 2500, and it tows the ~11k lbs like a champ.

My trailer has drive over fenders and is 102" wide. Basically wide enough for a SxS (or golf cart) to sit perpendicular to the jeep on the trailer.

RUBEERCON

Will my new GMC 1/2 ton 4x4 with 6.2 pull my JKU very well ? I think the engine is 420hp/460 tq and runs 8 spd auto with a high 323 gear. It's rated at 9100lbs. I would rather use a trailer on 3 plus hour trips now that I have 488s in jeep. I would pull it once or twice a year around 300 miles one way. Have considered tow hitch but a lighter weight trailer would be best.
I have a semi and and a 4x diesel excursion that will obviously do the job, just curious about my GMC.

holliewood61

Will my new GMC 1/2 ton 4x4 with 6.2 pull my JKU very well ? I think the engine is 420hp/460 tq and runs 8 spd auto with a high 323 gear. It's rated at 9100lbs. I would rather use a trailer on 3 plus hour trips now that I have 488s in jeep. I would pull it once or twice a year around 300 miles one way. Have considered tow hitch but a lighter weight trailer would be best.
I have a semi and and a 4x diesel excursion that will obviously do the job, just curious about my GMC.

The only problem, or should I say inconvenience i could see would be the 8 speed. I feel like it would be constantly shifting and searching for a gear pulling a trailer.

Sent from my LGLS991 using WAYALIFE mobile app

FallonJeeper

16403226_10206353815483573_5696025747315191713_o.jpg
Here's my contribution.
2011 F350 Super Duty Lariat

6.7 Scorpion Engine, Flashpaq tuned.

This shot is my setup for King of the Hammers trip 2017.

I haul everything from my J10, wife's '76 F250 mud truck to my 31' ball hitch travel trailer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Here's my contribution.
2011 F350 Super Duty Lariat

6.7 Scorpion Engine, Flashpaq tuned.

This shot is my setup for King of the Hammers trip 2017.

I haul everything from my J10, wife's '76 F250 mud truck to my 31' ball hitch travel trailer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

That looks like a fantastic setup! :thumb:

Top Bottom