Ob_tj's transformation of the green lantern

Oreo

So I have my 8.8 swap ready to go just needs to be all welded up. Just now seeking a little help. A good friend is offering up a good set of used 37 inch Toyos. I know I am going to have to do a whole lot of cutting. But my question to everyone is.. I have no clue on what gears to put in it, 4.88s? This is a big jump for my TJ and I'd just like some input on things that should be replaced with newer and better.

I'd do 5.13s with 37" tires.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Back when I was running 37's on my old TJ, I ran it with 5.13. No matter how you look at it, your TJ will kind of feel like a dog with 37's but the 5.13's will help quite a bit.

ob_tj

Back when I was running 37's on my old TJ, I ran it with 5.13. No matter how you look at it, your TJ will kind of feel like a dog with 37's but the 5.13's will help quite a bit.

That's what I was thinking. That's why I was really concerned about what gears to run. With the tires I have now that are little bigger than my old 33s it feels like a dog with 4.10s.

ob_tj

I called the local axle and gear shop near me for a quote on a regear package. After everything it is going to be 1600. But here is the kicker. He said he wouldn't comfortably put 5.13s on my Dana 30 front axle because the pinion would be way to small. All he'd do is 4.88s. On a TJ I have no clue if that would be enough to push 37s...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I called the local axle and gear shop near me for a quote on a regear package. After everything it is going to be 1600. But here is the kicker. He said he wouldn't comfortably put 5.13s on my Dana 30 front axle because the pinion would be way to small. All he'd do is 4.88s. On a TJ I have no clue if that would be enough to push 37s...

What you're guy is saying is right. 5.13 is the right ratio for 37's but on a Dana 30, it will have a pinion that is real small and it will be a weak point. 4.88 will help out a lot but you won't have as much power as 5.13. It's a tough call.

ob_tj

What you're guy is saying is right. 5.13 is the right ratio for 37's but on a Dana 30, it will have a pinion that is real small and it will be a weak point. 4.88 will help out a lot but you won't have as much power as 5.13. It's a tough call.

It really is a tough one for me. I want to get decent MPG and have power but I don't want to have that weak point of a small pinion..

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It really is a tough one for me. I want to get decent MPG and have power but I don't want to have that weak point of a small pinion..

Well, being that you have a TJ, you might be okay being that they are a lot lighter than a JK. So long as you wheel with it having a weak point in mind, you might be able to get by.

ob_tj

Well, being that you have a TJ, you might be okay being that they are a lot lighter than a JK. So long as you wheel with it having a weak point in mind, you might be able to get by.

So what your saying is no skinny pedal on big obstacles?? lol I'm probably going to bite the bullet and just go with 5.13s.

ob_tj

The dana 30 in your tj wont take any lower gear than the 4.88. Maby time for a pro rock 44.

Are you saying that you physically can't do it or you shouldn't? Because you can buy 5.13s for a tj Dana 30. And It would be awesome to put a PR 44 in but it's just not in the cards for this rig.

YKRUBICON

Are you saying that you physically can't do it or you shouldn't? Because you can buy 5.13s for a tj Dana 30. And It would be awesome to put a PR 44 in but it's just not in the cards for this rig.
Holy s*it. I just saw that. I thought it was only available for the jk. When i purchaced gears for my yj a couple of years ago 4.88 was the lowest i could get. Man i wonder how small that pinion is?

WJCO

Meme King

Holy s*it. I just saw that. I thought it was only available for the jk. When i purchaced gears for my yj a couple of years ago 4.88 was the lowest i could get. Man i wonder how small that pinion is?

mYKP0a8F4Fu2sw7f3MU3adg.jpg .......

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So what your saying is no skinny pedal on big obstacles?? lol I'm probably going to bite the bullet and just go with 5.13s.

LOL!! That and make sure to keep your front open. Back when I was running 37's on my TJ, I was doing it with 4.88's in my Dana 30 and it held up well for me but it could suck to drive as it had no power.

ob_tj

Yup most of the major gear companies are selling them now!
LOL!! That and make sure to keep your front open. Back when I was running 37's on my TJ, I was doing it with 4.88's in my Dana 30 and it held up well for me but it could suck to drive as it had no power.

I would never lock a Dana 30! I just hope I get a couple of good wheeling trips with it before it decides to let go!

I-Eat-Mud

Little late here, but I have 5.13 gears on my 37s and I'm very glad I didn't go with 4.88. Plenty of pep in the low end and getting on the highway. Getting 16mpg mixed highway and city driving during the week. Mostly highway though.

Love the green by the way. Jeep looks great.

Top Bottom