Gift idea for a friend with a JKU

PeterL

Hey wayalifers!

A good friend of mine is doing me a real huge favor, really helping me out. I'd like to get him a gift, something for his 2015 JKU sport. I could use some ideas, maybe things/items that he could use, but not necessarily out of his immediate scope of jeeping. I have little insight :doh: as it comes to jeeps, so I'd love to hear what you folks (with much more experience) would have appreciated receiving early on.

A little background, it's his first jeep, its unmodified. I know he does some light off-roading, so I was thinking perhaps some recovery gear, maybe a kit of some sort. I was thinking a hi-lift jack, but then again, I don't KNOW if he's going to need it yet, and would rather give him something that he could really use much sooner, more often.

Also, since its bound to be asked, I'm feeling generou$, but not "bro you saved my life" generous, but also not "you spent so much now its awkward" generous either, if that makes sense. I'm not in the quality lift kit range, but definitely above an enthusiast keychain...ya know?

Thank you in advance!

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
If your talking about a lift that's money so since your not going super cheap on the gift what about some skids?

Napalm

Gonna shoot from left field here since there's hundreds of thing you could get for him.

Not sure how much you are really wanting to spend, but you could do a recovery gear bag with a tow strap, gloves, D rings, etc in it.

If you want to be friend of the year, buy him some Truck Lite LED headlights. These are literally one of the best mods you can do to any Jeep, stock or not. And they help you on road and off road. :)

Last edited:

Corby417

My first thought was a recovery gear package too. Possibly a winch even? Not sure if he's got the bumper for it yet though, but there's another idea lol. I've been looking at some A pillar lights from rigid industries that I think are going for about $200 for the pair. If he's planning on adding a lot of lights or other accessories, switch pros sp-8100 or something similar would be awesome too.

Trucklites is a solid idea, for anyone with a jeep, off-roader or not. You could even piece together some inexpensive items as a package; like rubber mats, grab handles and a sunshade?

WJCO

Meme King
Gift card to quadratec. He could get a lot from there and get whatever he wants.

Edit: Catahoula beat me to it.

PeterL

Thanks for all the great ideas folks, I really do appreciate the input. I have 1 more day, so keep the ideas coming!

Felixrlatorre

Hi there. I'm new on this and I like to help you out. All the ideas that are been posted are good ones. Here is mine. Think about a lift kit at least 2.5 in. To start. There are many of theme on the web for an affordable price. In quadratec.con and many other website have pretty good lift kit so you may check it out.

Speeddmn

Since you didn't specify a budget, only a few words to key in on, I'm guessing in the $500 range? If more cool, less, cool, etc.

If he has a stock JKU, and you got him a cheap lift, the shocks that come with it, will be toast quickly, so now he needs new ones, more $$. Go to high and you need to start adding a few items to make the lift work correctly, more $$. Raising the jeep up will make the stock wheels and tires look cheap/small, more $$ to fix that. -- So I think a lift is a no go.

Recovery gear is a great tool to have and everyone should have it. If he dosent have a winch, then 90% of the recovery gear bag is about worthless.... I mean a strap is a strap, but in the end, it works when paired with a winch.

Winch, well if you read enough on here 75% of the folks will say buy a Warn, buy it once, buy it for life (I think that is a slogan, can't place the company though). Now for a loaded JKU weight you will want 8-9k at the smallest, 10k for the best safety. Of the different models you can spend 400-1200 on this item. You can buy a cheaper non Warn for mere pennies, then he will go to use it and it will fail.... Back to buying again, more $$ (should have bought that Warn) Recommend a Warn Zeon 10, runs around 800 bucks, or so and he wants to upgrade to a synthetic line later he can.

Headlights were mentioned, TruckLites for the set will run around 400 plug and play, best money ever spent. A few more 200 or so and you can get the heated lens version so it will melt ice/snow. THESE ARE WORTH THERE WEIGHT IN GOLD!!!!

Misc do-dads for the inside, outside, stickers, badges... those are personal touches I think best left to the owner.

Other items to consider Yeti cooler, year supply of car washes, maybe find a mobile auto detailer get the full treatment inside and out.

Ddays

Hooked
An EVO leveling kit is only $234.00

p-3596-EVO-1095.jpg

Pair that with a set of Rancho shocks on special this month and he'd have a nice setup!

shocktober_rebatefront_us_zpspro6bp7n_e9be85dbaa01462fda9b7b45cfe043dcdd07ae0b.jpg

GraniteCrystal

The leveling kit is too personal for my taste. There's a decent chance he'll end up replacing it with something else down the road and you don't know what his aspirations for the suspension are.

I'd go with headlights. Truck Lites or JW Speaker are the two everyone goes with. Both are awesome. Slightly different light patterns and aesthetic. I prefer the JW myself. It's something he'll use right away, is a huge improvement over stock, changes the look of the Jeep, and he'll never need to upgrade them.

Top Bottom