NEW Shoes for MOBY : 40x13.50R17 Cooper Discoverer STT Pro M/T Tires

aTX427

How many miles do you have on the 40's and what is your long term feedback. I noticed you purchased another set for Rubicat. I take it you are not going back to Trail Grapplers?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
How many miles do you have on the 40's and what is your long term feedback. I noticed you purchased another set for Rubicat. I take it you are not going back to Trail Grapplers?

I would assume he thinks they suck since he has bought like five sets now.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL!! Actually only been 4 sets of Coopers :D

Regarding the 40's on Moby, I'll have to double check when I get him back but I think he's got about 10k or so on them. Trail Grapplers are great tires but I personally like these new Cooper STT Pros better.

Jmo

Chamber pro backspacing with DTD

Here are shots of our new 40x13.50 Cooper Discoverer STT Pros mounted on ATX Chamber Pro II bead lock wheels and installed on Moby! Enjoy :cool:

View attachment 226364

View attachment 226366

View attachment 226367

View attachment 226368

View attachment 226369

View attachment 226372

View attachment 226370

View attachment 226371

View attachment 226373

View attachment 226374

For those of you who are interested, installed, aired up to 30 psi and with the full weight of our Jeep on the tires, the Cooper STT Pros measured 38-7/16" to the edge of the tread and that puts them at almost an inch taller than our old Toyo M/T's which came in at 37-1/2".
View attachment 226381

Also, for those of you who were wanting to know, the weight difference is between a 40x13.50/R17 Cooper STT Pro and Toyo Open Country M/T, is about 15 lbs. Both mounted on an ATX Chamber Pro II bead lock wheel, the Cooper weighed in at 134.8 lbs. and the Toyo weighed in at 150 lbs.

Without having these tires balanced, we took Moby for a test drive and and found them to ride surprisingly clean and without any issues up to about 70 MPH. At 70, the front end stayed clean but we could feel some shimming in the rear end indicating one or maybe both tires were a tad out of balance. The shimming faded substantially at about 80 MPH. Needless to say, we'll be getting them balanced soon.

Because of the large lugs and voids that mud terrains have, they ALL sing louder on pavement than an all terrain or street tire and of all the ones we've tested to date, we have found Cooper STT Pros to be slightly louder than something like a new Toyo M/T. That being said, our old Toyos had about 17,000 miles on them and were actually louder on pavement than our new Coopers. Of course, compared to our old Nitto Mud Grapplers, these Coopers are essentially silent.

Im building this exact same set up with Dynatrac 68.5" Axels (old style knuckles) on 40" tires with the evo double throw down. If I go with the ATX chamber pro rims with 4" backspacing will I run into any clearance issues with the DTD?

Im debating the chamber pro with 4" backspacing or Slabs with 3.5" backspacing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Im building this exact same set up with Dynatrac 68.5" Axels (old style knuckles) on 40" tires with the evo double throw down. If I go with the ATX chamber pro rims with 4" backspacing will I run into any clearance issues with the DTD?

Thanks,

If you mean clearance issues as in turning to a full lock or coming into contact with your coil overs or bypass shocks, no. At least, we don't have any issues on Moby. If you mean clearance issues in terms of making contact with the fenders or body, that all depends on how you set up your DTD. We run Moby as low as possible and with only as much bump stop extension as is necessary in the rear. We did a lot of trimming to make all this work.

Basscat

Thanks,

I run a similar set up and suggest the 4” back spacing will work just fine with no issues. Trimming and bump stops will be the key as you set it up, flex test and cycle.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom