Superduty axle swap on a jku

Sahara_Maverick

Nice looking project!
Question to the folks who did this swap. Did you also change the engine? My JKU has that old anemic 3.8L and it would have a very hard time spinning these guys.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Blade

I have been building a list of parts for doing a SD axle swap. I know the devil is in the details, so if you want to send me what I am missing, I can update the master for others interested in taking on the project. If not appropriate, let me know and I can delete it.

Ok, lemme start from the top.

Front:
breather bung.
front axle tube seals.
mill knuckle for steering arm.
abs sensors from dodge ram.
Yoke
Driveshaft
Teraflex brake line anchor kit

Rear:
breather bung.
98" e-brake cables for F-250 super duty.
rear hub seals(inner/outer)
Yoke
Driveshaft

Misc:
Master cyl. part number correct, but will need a secondary reservoir if you have manual trans.
RUFFSTUFF 7/8 heim steering. call request longer tie rod dom.

I think that's all I can remember at the moment.

Last edited:

Broke_JKowner

I'd post some pictures but my phone isn't letting me but so far I have the artec 1ton swapkit, Artec 60T tone rings and sensor mounts,ruff stuff cover, grizzly locker, 5.38s,1350 yoke, install kit, rotors and pads.
Just waiting for the abs stuff and pinion yoke to get delivered.

Pretty excited to get it all cleaned up and welded up so atleast it will start to look like progress!

Where did you get your ABS stuff? Also did you have to do anything with your JK's computer for the ABS to continue to work?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BigPrince

any aftermarket programmer can help you correct Speedo

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Depends on the axles and tone rings used. If you swap to a front superduty 60, you'll most likely match the rear to the front's tone ring count of 60. Due to the change on the tone ring count from 52 to 60, it is required to set a nonstandard axle gear ratio (e.g. my 5.38s are set for (52/60)*5.38=4.66). This also requires a change to the tire size to get the speed correct and it's not the tire size of the tire. In my case for my 41.5s it's somewhere around a 34" setting in the computer. If you don't do this, the Jeep may freak out and put you into limp mode which happened to me before i set the correct ratio.

To make that change, I had to use an older black and white Superchips Flashpaq. I've heard the TrailDash2 will allow a non-standard gear ratio. Most other programmers - AEV Procal, Diablo Trinity, newer color Flashpaq/Flashcal will only allow you to set standard gear ratios (5.38, 4.88, 4.56, etc). So you gotta be sure to get the right programmer.

Broke_JKowner

Depends on the axles and tone rings used. If you swap to a front superduty 60, you'll most likely match the rear to the front's tone ring count of 60. Due to the change on the tone ring count from 52 to 60, it is required to set a nonstandard axle gear ratio (e.g. my 5.38s are set for (52/60)*5.38=4.66). This also requires a change to the tire size to get the speed correct and it's not the tire size of the tire. In my case for my 41.5s it's somewhere around a 34" setting in the computer. If you don't do this, the Jeep may freak out and put you into limp mode which happened to me before i set the correct ratio.

To make that change, I had to use an older black and white Superchips Flashpaq. I've heard the TrailDash2 will allow a non-standard gear ratio. Most other programmers - AEV Procal, Diablo Trinity, newer color Flashpaq/Flashcal will only allow you to set standard gear ratios (5.38, 4.88, 4.56, etc). So you gotta be sure to get the right programmer.

There's a reason I do ultrasound for a living and it's not bc if my mad math skills. Do you have some sort of equation to calculate which gear ratio and tire size to program into the programmer?

madstiles

The programmer does it for you you just follow instructions. Well that's how superchips works anyways. All you need is a tape measure to get actual tire size.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

BigPrince

There's a reason I do ultrasound for a living and it's not bc if my mad math skills. Do you have some sort of equation to calculate which gear ratio and tire size to program into the programmer?

(Stock tooth count / new tooth count) * gear ratio

You can do the same for the tire count and it should get you close but I highly recommend using a gps source to confirm.

The programmer does it for you you just follow instructions. Well that's how superchips works anyways. All you need is a tape measure to get actual tire size.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

When you change tone ring tooth counts, you have to manually adjust your measurement. Programmer will indeed program it in but it will not be your real size as the gear ratio change, changes the reading.

Last edited:
Top Bottom