On Board air compressor vs tank style air

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For those running co2, how do you have the tank mounted? Or is it just carefully packed between things?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Most of the guys I know who carry one use a Powertank and have the mount that attaches to the roll bar at the back next to the tailgate. Bout as out of the way as it gets for a setup like that.

CastleRockJeep

I bought the setup with the "track pack". I just pack it carefully with the rest of my trail gear. I didn't mount it on the roll bar as I thought/think, it would interfere with the operation of the soft top.

Road_king

I agree that the battery impact wrenches rock - my sears 18v with lithium battery has helped change many tires!

I have a Warn Powerplant and carry a 10 CO2 bottle. One hose fits both and the alum 10lb bottle with a fixed regulator was like $160 delivered.

CO2 is a pain - I have not located a refill place in the Indio CA area yet.

$10 fill while you wait in St George UT to $20 in Montrose CO Tuesday only - drop off one day - pick up the next.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thunder

I mounted my Co2 tank with the Springtail Solutions side rack.

attachment.php

Brute

Hooked
On Board Air or Co2?

I have an ARB twin...just aired up my 39x13.50R17's from 4psi to 30psi in about 5min each...

I also carry a 20v Dewalt 1/2" impact driver, spare battery & charger...I installed a 500w inverter behind the seat to charge the impact driver, a pair of frs hand held radios & my Delorme InReach sat communicator

Basscat

I am trying to decide between getting on board air or Co2 tanks for our 2013 JK. Many of the forums and discussions that I have found are outdated. I'd like some current product input from people that have used it.

I've used both extensively.

CO2 is quicker but you run out and have to find a welding supply store or something similar to refill. There's also the requirement for hydrostatic testing of the tank periodically in order to continue using it.

OBA is a bit slower but not too much if you go with the big ARB twin or something similar. Smaller footprint. Also unlimited supply (if battery isn't dead) at no cost beyond initial purchase.

I have both but prefer OBA.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

GraniteCrystal

Thread revival!!

Anyone else had issues with their ARB overheating? One person mentions this earlier in the thread and I've heard it elsewhere as well. That's kind of a showstopper for me if the long term plan is to not only air up tires but also lockers from this. If it overheats on me the moment I need lockers, that's no good. Only an issue if mounted in the engine bay perhaps?

benatc1

Hooked
It likely won't overheat when using lockers as it rarely cycles during use of activation/deactivation. I suppose it could when airing up, I've never had an issue when taking my 35s from 12 back to 30psi in the hot nevada desert- mine is also mounted in the engine bay

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
It likely won't overheat when using lockers as it rarely cycles during use of activation/deactivation. I suppose it could when airing up, I've never had an issue when taking my 35s from 12 back to 30psi in the hot nevada desert- mine is also mounted in the engine bay

How often are they suppose to kick on? Mines about every 8-10 min. And will kick on for a split second

benatc1

Hooked
How often are they suppose to kick on? Mines about every 8-10 min. And will kick on for a split second

Not sure what they are supposed to do but mine barely ever does, maybe only a few times a day while I'm out, depends on how much on and off I guess. Might be worth seeing if your seeping air anywhere.but it is just a quick burp when it cycles

Ddays

Hooked

Not sure what they are supposed to do but mine barely ever does, maybe only a few times a day while I'm out, depends on how much on and off I guess. Might be worth seeing if your seeping air anywhere.but it is just a quick burp when it cycles

^What Benatc1 said. If you're cycling that often without actuating anything you have a leak somewhere. Hopefully its at one of the bulkhead fittings at one of the diffs or at the manifold.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
^What Benatc1 said. If you're cycling that often without actuating anything you have a leak somewhere. Hopefully its at one of the bulkhead fittings at one of the diffs or at the manifold.

I think it's the solenoid. I went through and redid the teflon and didn't tighten it all the way down. Cause at first it was kicking on every minute and got it to where it's like every 9-10 min. I just don't have a thin enough wrench.

Top Bottom