On Board air compressor vs tank style air

Peak

Is it okay to mount a CO2 tank horizontal? I like the idea of keeping it high about the seat like this picture
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1441225554.728822.jpg

KenB1010

Yes, it's OK to mount the tank in a horizontal position. The down side is that you would need to move the tank to somewhat vertical in order to use it. CO2 is a liquid when under pressure, if you introduce the liquid into the valve it will ice cap the valve severely limiting its use.

vjusmc

I'm found a company out of Las Vegas which sells what looks like a good air compressor. They offer a two year warranty, high output, and priced decently. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on one of their kits and swapping out the tank for a 3 gallon setup. My only issue would be figuring out a mount location for the tank. I am planning on installing the compressor itself in the engine compartment by using a brake mounting bracket. Does anyone here have any experience with this company ?
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1442568607.895310.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
I went with a tank strictly for the cost. My entire tank set-up cost me right at $300 with mounting bracket, I have refilled my 35's and my cousins 37's twice now ( 16 tires ) and still have Co2 in the tank, and I pay $10 to refill. Its fast and quiet. I just couldn't justify $700 for the ARB twin. I got the tank and had $400 left over to spend on other things.

I am still kicking around these two options as well but I haven't been able to get anyone to confirm how long these tanks will last. I would think that this being liquid CO2, you should be able to fill tires up quite a few times. Anyone out there ever run the tank empty and kept track of how many tires they were able to fill?

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I'm found a company out of Las Vegas which sells what looks like a good air compressor. They offer a two year warranty, high output, and priced decently. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on one of their kits and swapping out the tank for a 3 gallon setup. My only issue would be figuring out a mount location for the tank. I am planning on installing the compressor itself in the engine compartment by using a brake mounting bracket. Does anyone here have any experience with this company ?
View attachment 165399

Coming from the air ride world....I have never heard one bad thing about Air Zenith compressors other than cost, they are more than viar but supposed to be better.

Ddays

Hooked
Last time I refilled my tank I had filled 16 tires, 8 35's and 8 37's. Still had Co2 in the tank

Great, thanks!
In the meantime I looked up the specs on Powertanks site and your results pretty much match what they say (based on a 10# tank)
35's = 30 fills/10 psi increase 16 fills/20 psi increase
37's = 24 fills/10 psi increase 13 fills/20 psi increase
40's = 14 fills/10 psi increase 7 fills/20 psi increase

I was considering using a tank for my lockers and tire re-fill and was told by a sales guy that the output would be significantly more that what's shown above.
Looks like I'll be looking at an ARB twin or Viair system. Co2 looks like a good idea for tire fill if you wanted two systems, plus could be tapped into
for locker operation in the event of a compressor failure.

vjusmc

Coming from the air ride world....I have never heard one bad thing about Air Zenith compressors other than cost, they are more than viar but supposed to be better.

Thanks for the input. I will most likely go with the air-zenith setup. I'm planning on mounting the compressor somewhere in the engine bay with a modified bracket and making a custom leader hose to the 3 gallon aluminum air tank which I plan on mounting under the jeep somewhere. I guess we will see how it works out. It's more expensive than viair but does produce more CFM and still cheaper than an ARB dual compressor setup.

Magilla

On Board Air or Co2?

I am trying to decide between getting on board air or Co2 tanks for our 2013 JK. Many of the forums and discussions that I have found are outdated. I'd like some current product input from people that have used it.

Munky

I haven't used CO2 for OBA, but I do have an ARB CKSA12 installed on an EVO-1087 mounting bracket. Its the smallest/cheapest compressor that ARB makes, takes about 40 mins to air up 4 35x12.50x17 from 14psi upto 32psi. It maybe slow but its way better than not having air at all, i used it the other day to air up someone's complete flat. Not sure of the tire size but it went from 0 to 38 psi in about 10 mins or so.
IMG_8082.jpg

Rubicon310

I have a lot of experience with both. I bought a power tank several years ago and after running several trails and having to air up, I realized that the co2 alone would not cut it. I purchased a via air compressor that works great.

Here's the advantages of c02:
Very very fast to air up tires.
You can run air tools.
You don't need to hook up to a battery.

Disadvantages:
Line freezes if airing up larger tires in cold weather.
You'll run out.
Pricey to fill.
When in a group, everyone asks to use it.

I've started taking both my via air and co2 tank now.

I seem to use the via air more although it takes longer to fill tires.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I have a lot of experience with both. I bought a power tank several years ago and after running several trails and having to air up, I realized that the co2 alone would not cut it. I purchased a via air compressor that works great.

Here's the advantages of c02:
Very very fast to air up tires.
You can run air tools.
You don't need to hook up to a battery.

Disadvantages:
Line freezes if airing up larger tires in cold weather.
You'll run out.
Pricey to fill.
When in a group, everyone asks to use it.

I've started taking both my via air and co2 tank now.

I seem to use the via air more although it takes longer to fill tires.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Being a Master SCUBA Diver, I have 9 tanks at home. I used an extra regulator and attached air quick disconnects. I have been using a 63 cfm aluminum tank, mostly due to it's size. It's fills tires up quickly with good filtered air and the refills are only $5. I get about 4 good fill ups on a tank. However, I plan on putting a compressor on the rig too. As in diving, sometimes having a redundant system is good.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

TRLJNKY

For now I use CO2. Its cost effective but one day Id like to have OBA. I wanted to be self sufficent and didnt want to be that guy that begs for air after a run. Rubicon310 has some good points.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I have the ARB twin. Last time I was out, I did a set of 33s and a set of 37s in 15 minutes. This was airing up both from around 15psi to 29 psi. Bad ass machine.

Heavyhaul07

I've used both both good and bad. If it were me and I had the money I'd get the arb twin compressor it is fast. Or one of the arb compressor as I feel they are faster than the viair. Then down the road a co2 tank for back up

Onefin

I chose the ARB twin mounted underhood, as I wanted something that was always there and didn't need to be loaded in the jeep for every trip.
We live in BFE and everything is a pain in the ass, so I made the assumption that getting a CO2 tank filled would be a pain in the ass also.

Top Bottom