Tj lift kit

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Guys,
Which is the best 4" lift kit for the tj?

4" is a lot of lift for a TJ and a lot of times, the coils end up yielding more lift than that. Unless you're only going to use your Jeep off road, I might recommend you looking into a long arm kit. I've run a Full Traction long arm kit in the past and it's made for 4"-6" of lift. I thought it was a really well made kit and one that doesn't require any welding.

http://4x4xplor.com/full-traction.html

Otherwise, I have also run a 3.5" Rubicon Express kit and thought it worked well too.

http://4x4xplor.com/RE-SuperFlex.html

Just know that depending on the year of your TJ, you may need to do a slip yoke eliminator and install a new drive shaft with it.

http://4x4xplor.com/SYE-CV.html

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Why long arm? Is the zone 4 1/4" any good? Looks to be all bolt on.

It'll help correct your suspension geometry and offer a better ride. If your Jeep is a daily driver, this can be nice to have. I am not a fan of Zone.

WJCO

Meme King
Why long arm? Is the zone 4 1/4" any good? Looks to be all bolt on.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

It'll help correct your suspension geometry and offer a better ride. If your Jeep is a daily driver, this can be nice to have. I am not a fan of Zone.

Not a TJ driver here, but I have a Zone 4 on my WJ. Zone offers a pretty complete kit for a low price, however, I wish I had done more research before purchasing. Shock bushings failed in under 1000 miles with light offroading. I just found a lower control arm bushing that failed after about 10,000 miles, came out of the arm. As far as the ride, it's fairly stiff, I would say tolerable, but that's it. If I were in the market again for a kit, I wouldn't do Zone either. One thing I will say though, their WJ track bar bushings are pretty sweet, hard enough to not wear out and just hard enough to not be noisy. Wish they'd done the same with their other bushings. Everything else is definitely on the lower end, IMO.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What is your opinion about rough country's long arm kit??

I have no experience with Rough Country TJ kits but I have installed and tested a few on JK's and found the quality of their products to be sub par. I would not recommend them.

Sgt_USMC

Ok, i didnt know it would not correct the geometry. I know lifting anything messes with the steering geo and the pinion angle, i thought they would have the parts to correct that with the kit.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, i didnt know it would not correct the geometry. I know lifting anything messes with the steering geo and the pinion angle, i thought they would have the parts to correct that with the kit.

The control arms on a TJ are really really short. When you lift 4" or taller, they will sit at a very steep angle and this will contribute to a less than satisfactory ride on pavement. Long arms were created back during the TJ days to address this very problem and they do this by relocating the mounting points on the frame further toward the center of it. The longer arms help reduce the angle of the arms and brings them back closer to stock. This isn't as much of a problem on a JK being that their arms are so much longer right from the factory.

tdans

I had a 4" lift with short arms before and it drove so crappy and rough! I have a rock krawler long arm kit now and it drives awesome! Also I would get an sye kit because if you don't the driveshaft will rumble like crazy! The teraflex extreme short shaft kit is a little more expensive but worth the money to get a longer rear driveshaft.

geomoutj

So, just to conclude on this.
If I install adjustable control arms:
A) will it gonna ride better?
B) it still gonna need a sye?
C) is the drop case spacers mandatory?
E) will the pinion angle gonna change?
After the installation of the control arms do I have to install an adjustable trackbar also?

kep01

So, just to conclude on this.
If I install adjustable control arms:
A) will it gonna ride better?
B) it still gonna need a sye?
C) is the drop case spacers mandatory?
E) will the pinion angle gonna change?
After the installation of the control arms do I have to install an adjustable trackbar also?

i have rough country long arms, they work. Are they the best out there? No. but if your on a budget like me then they will do just fine. no welding is involved, just bolt everything on. it will ride alot better once you put them on. i would suggest you doing a SYE so that you dont have any drive line vibes. with the rough country it will drop the case about an inch. the arms come with all the measurements to correct the pinion angle, i would go ahead and install adjustable track arm in the front, the kit will have what you need for the rear. Hope this helps.

geomoutj

i have rough country long arms, they work. Are they the best out there? No. but if your on a budget like me then they will do just fine. no welding is involved, just bolt everything on. it will ride alot better once you put them on. i would suggest you doing a SYE so that you dont have any drive line vibes. with the rough country it will drop the case about an inch. the arms come with all the measurements to correct the pinion angle, i would go ahead and install adjustable track arm in the front, the kit will have what you need for the rear. Hope this helps.

Thank you!!!

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Does anybody make a lift for the TJ that would ride equivalent to the EVO plush rides? I know ride quality is subjective but many here know the EVO coils and get what I'm looking for, preferably in the 3 to 3.5 inch range. 99 Wrangler already has a sye so that's not a concern, just a really old suspension that rides like a buckboard.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom