37" Nitto Trail Grapplers vs Cooper STT Pro's

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I can't seem to find the STT 40X13.50's.....Just out of curiosity. What is the weight difference between the 37X13.50 and the 40"'s?

Neither can I. If I could, Rubicat would be running them as well. Apparently, they've been a hot seller and they're back ordered now. The 37x13.50 weighs 81 lbs. and the 40x13.50 weighs 91.5 lbs. Basically, there's a 10.5 lbs. difference.

Neither can I. If I could, Rubicat would be running them as well. Apparently, they've been a hot seller and they're back ordered now. The 37x13.50 weighs 81 lbs. and the 40x13.50 weighs 91.5 lbs. Basically, there's a 10.5 lbs. difference.
And they're brand spanking new in 40s too right? Must have surprised them when they found out he demand they were getting so quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

rlm8541

So maybe you can answer this for me. Everyone seems pretty comfortable running 37's with D44's. I have mine trussed and Gussed. Im running a 35 spline axels. I have the STT 37X13.50's ordered.....is the 10 extra pounds per wheel that large of an issue on the pinion that D60's are a must to run the 40's or would I be ok?

Seems most everyone is pretty adamant that you don't run 40's without upgrading to the 60's. Have a hard time seeing 10lbs being that large of a factor. I could be "completely" wrong and will stay with the 37's if that 10lbs is a major factor......Just have the "40 fever" before I even nut up the 37's...lol

Judesign

Caught the Bug
37" Nitto Trail Grapplers vs Cooper STT Pro's

It's not just the weight but also the rotational momentum of a larger tire that compounds the force on your drive train.

Ddays

Hooked
40" tires are gonna require 5:38 gears and at that ratio your pinion gear shaft gets really small. A mall crawler could get away with it probably but any serious offroading will snap it quick.

Here's the difference in pinion shaft diameters between D30/D44/D60

DSC05426.jpg

WJCO had one showing the D44/D60/D80 and it is just as dramatic a difference between the D60 & D80

Last edited:

jeffj

Caught the Bug
So maybe you can answer this for me. Everyone seems pretty comfortable running 37's with D44's. I have mine trussed and Gussed. Im running a 35 spline axels. I have the STT 37X13.50's ordered.....is the 10 extra pounds per wheel that large of an issue on the pinion that D60's are a must to run the 40's or would I be ok?

Seems most everyone is pretty adamant that you don't run 40's without upgrading to the 60's. Have a hard time seeing 10lbs being that large of a factor. I could be "completely" wrong and will stay with the 37's if that 10lbs is a major factor......Just have the "40 fever" before I even nut up the 37's...lol[/QUO

Leverage will make more of a difference than weight. I was bending a lot of axel flanges with 37's. 40's would be a lot worse.

longarmwj

I have extensive experience with both and what I can tell you is this:

I enjoyed running the Nitto Trail Grapplers and found that they worked well on the trail. They hooked up well on the rocks and seemed to wear fairly well. What I didn't like about them is that the 37's only came in a Load Range C and their sidewalls weren't as strong as I would prefer. I also didn't like that they weren't offered in a 13.50 width. On pavement, they were pretty quite for an MT but they had a strong radial pull to the left and I found that to be annoying. Overall, they're a good tire, their 37's are made in the USA and I would run them again if I had to.

Cooper Discoverer STT Pros are what I'm running now and I absolutely LOVE them! They hook up MUCH BETTER on the rocks and so far, I've found them to wear much better than the Trail Grapplers. I LOVE the fact that they're 37's are available in a 13.50 width and in a Load Range E. The sidewalls on their 37's are extremely tough and I haven't noticed any radial pull from them. They are a bit louder on pavement but just by a bit. If it matters, they are without question, the BEST MT I have ever driven on in ice and snow. The other thing I really like about them is that I could get 5 tires for the price of 4 Trail Grapplers which is quite a deal and of course, Cooper are made in the USA.

Hope that helps.

20161014161200-99dc2a6d.jpg

Well that just sold me on STTs. I know what I'm getting when my MTRs wear out

SDG

Caught the Bug
40" tires are gonna require 5:38 gears and at that ratio your pinion gear shaft gets really small. A mall crawler could get away with it probably but any serious offroading will snap it quick.

Here's the difference in pinion shaft diameters between D30/D44/D60

View attachment 255314

WJCO had one showing the D44/D60/D80 and it is just as dramatic a difference between the D60 & D80
dana-44-dana-60-and-dana-80-pinion+%281%29.jpeg

40/60/80

dana-44-dana-60-ring-gear.jpeg

Like was said its not the weight so much as the strain put on component trying to turn them, especially when they are bound up.

SLO

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread but what wheels are on Rubicat in this picture. I don’t think those are what were on her when she was sold, right?

Yes, we're running 40's on Moby and 37's on Rubicat. The 40's are Load Range C and do offer a nicer ride but I don't think these Coopers are offered in any other load range. The only consumer friendly 40 that I know of (or at least that I have personally tested) that comes in a load range E is a 40x15.50R20 Toyo MT and comparable Nitto Mud Grappler. Aside from the freak blowout, I have been very happy with these 40's as is or at least for now. Time and more use may or may not change that.

main.php

Ddays

Hooked
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread but what wheels are on Rubicat in this picture. I don’t think those are what were on her when she was sold, right?

Those ^^ were ATX Chamber Pro's. Eddie swapped in a new front axle and went with Trail Ready wheels because of the backspacing on them.

kyle521

bring up an old thread, but wondering if anyone has any updates with more miles. Looking to get 37 x 12.5 and am undecided between the coopers stt and nitto TG. I am finding both for $350 each. Where has everyone been ordering from? Most of my wheeling is in the northeast.

wjtstudios

Hooked
bring up an old thread, but wondering if anyone has any updates with more miles. Looking to get 37 x 12.5 and am undecided between the coopers stt and nitto TG. I am finding both for $350 each. Where has everyone been ordering from? Most of my wheeling is in the northeast.

The Nitto 40” TGs are the best tires I’ve ever put under a Jeep from the standpoint of being perfectly balanced with out adding an ounce weight to balance them. I think you can’t go wrong with either on the trail, Eddie’s proved that over the years.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

wjtstudios

Hooked
The Nitto 40” TGs are the best tires I’ve ever put under a Jeep from the standpoint of being perfectly balanced with out adding an ounce weight to balance them. I think you can’t go wrong with either on the trail, Eddie’s proved that over the years. I ordered mine thru DT

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

-AINOKEA-

Hooked

I’m getting coopers mounted right now since the nittos were not in stock. Like wjt said, both have been tried and proven on here by multiple people with different driving styles and rigs.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Ddays

Hooked
The Nitto 40” TGs are the best tires I’ve ever put under a Jeep from the standpoint of being perfectly balanced with out adding an ounce weight to balance them. I think you can’t go wrong with either on the trail, Eddie’s proved that over the years.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Curious - did you happen to notice the radial pull? I never did on my Ridge Graps.

desertrunner

Anyone else? Its a tough choice since they are a $4 difference in price on amazon.
I have not had a set of TGs myself but I have the Cooper's on mine now and my buddy in college I rode with all the time had a set of TGs. The Coopers IMO are better on snowy roads than his TGs were if that matters. Also Eddie made a really good point about the width, load range and sidewall strength in post #2. I have been very pleased with my Cooper's (37x13.5) as most people on here have. Don't think you can go wrong either way but my choice this round was the Cooper's and I'm not disappointed

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

bmkrinne

I was in your same boat several months ago and ultimately decided on the Coopers because of the discussions about the radial pull on the TG’s. Eddie made a comment awhile back about the 35” and 37” TG’s being a totally different tire than the 40” and quite a few other posts here and other forums talk about the left pull. This was enough to push me towards the slightly cheaper 37x12.5 Coopers. One complaint I was worried about was the premature chunking of the Cooper tread. A few of the guys here can chime in on their newer Coopers having this problem. I bought the Discount tire certificates for the piece of mind and have been happy so far!

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
I absolutely love my 37x17x13.50 cooper stt pros! Best tire I’ve ever ran so far.

Top Bottom