Mike's Granite JKU "B.O.D." Build Thread

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Just a couple shots of how the vhf/uhf antenna and mount looks. Using the EVO tailgate bracket. Thanks Granite_Head!

Getting really antsy for my 60s and long arms. I think it's starting to show to my wife and coworkers lol.

IMG_2364.jpg

IMG_2365.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I like it. Well done.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks Charlie

Educate me on uhf/vhf/cb/ham etc

So really, Jackal01, can give you everything you need to know on them. And he's the one that sold me on getting one for Exodus. But here's what I know this far - the range is much better on vhf/uhf. My unit is advertised on the box at up to 30 miles of range. You also do not have to tune these radios, i believe they come pretuned. CB's have a much lower range. The only downside is that uhf/vhf radios can only communicate to one another and cannot talk to a CB, which is mostly what everyone runs. So I run a small cobra 75 cb and the new dualband at the same time.

Jackal01

Thanks Charlie

So really, Jackal01, can give you everything you need to know on them. And he's the one that sold me on getting one for Exodus. But here's what I know this far - the range is much better on vhf/uhf. My unit is advertised on the box at up to 30 miles of range. You also do not have to tune these radios, i believe they come pretuned. CB's have a much lower range. The only downside is that uhf/vhf radios can only communicate to one another and cannot talk to a CB, which is mostly what everyone runs. So I run a small cobra 75 cb and the new dualband at the same time.
Pretty much summed it up without getting too technical. I'll get technical though...lol

I have been using UHF/VHF since I got in the FD 13 years ago. Granted there are tons of components to make the systems on our end work well (better than these radios) ie: repeaters but the overall function is the same. I would guess realistically we will get 5-15 miles in CO and in Texas probably double that with the model (RM50R) some of us bought. Rugged Radios has other models that are less wattage and thus less distance. I haven't used UHF/VHF outside of my area so I am not sure on distance. Regardless, I am confident the radios will work better than the best tuned CB. I sold my mobile CB and bought a Midland handheld that can be converted to mobile so that I can still communicate with those that don't have these radios. Some very general info on the comparison. The RM50R is dual band so it does SOME of the VHF and UHF frequencies. I am also dumbing it down since, it goes without saying, that other industries and technologies utilize VHF, UHF, etc radio frequencies: TV, AM/FM radio, phones, etc. Some of our guys didn't get the same radio, as it is quite expensive, however as long as their radio has some of the frequencies we should all be able to communicate.

CB:
4 watts max
frequencies 27s MHz
Few miles distance, can be more or less
Antenna tuning required

VHF:
Power ranges
Frequencies 150s-170s MHZ
few miles up to 20ish miles

UHF:
Power ranges
Frequencies low 400s to upper 400s MHz.
few miles and further than VHF potentially

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just a couple shots of how the vhf/uhf antenna and mount looks. Using the EVO tailgate bracket. Thanks Granite_Head!

Getting really antsy for my 60s and long arms. I think it's starting to show to my wife and coworkers lol.

That came out great and looks clean. If I didn't already have mine mounted on my tire carrier, I would definitely go this route. :thumb:

I got the call today from my shop that I had been waiting on for almost 10 weeks. My axles are HERE. Not just my axles, but EVO DD long arms too. Chamber pros are still on its way.

Driving out there tomorrow morning to check shit out because I simply cannot wait to see them any longer.

Install starts on 5/11 and should be done by 5/19 at the latest.

tdougherty81

I got the call today from my shop that I had been waiting on for almost 10 weeks. My axles are HERE. Not just my axles, but EVO DD long arms too. Chamber pros are still on its way.

Driving out there tomorrow morning to check shit out because I simply cannot wait to see them any longer.

Just in time for Topless.

Can't wait to see them.

Jackal01

And he didn't even send a pic to you? And if he did...you didn't post it?!

WJCO

Meme King

Congrats! Good news.

Just in time for Topless.

Can't wait to see them.

Heck yea. Little trip to the beach will be part of my break-in period.

And he didn't even send a pic to you? And if he did...you didn't post it?!

He asked me if I wanted one. I told him I was driving to the shop tomorrow morning because I wanted to see them myself. Pics to come tomorrow!

Congrats! Good news.

Thanks! Freaking fantastic news.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug

yes! yes... but first take pics... I wish I could "*cough cough* I'm not feeling well today" @ work... and go with you!! :eek:
:honey:

Top Bottom