Your thoughts on running a 16" wheel or 17" wheel?

jeffself

I have a 2010 4 door Rubicon and I'll be installing a 3.5" lift in the next few months. I plan to run 35" tires on it but I'm trying to decide whether to stay with 17" wheels or go down to 16" wheels. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I have a 2010 4 door Rubicon and I'll be installing a 3.5" lift in the next few months. I plan to run 35" tires on it but I'm trying to decide whether to stay with 17" wheels or go down to 16" wheels. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

I ran 16's and then moved to 17's. honestly I noticed a bit more stability on the road due to the lesser exposed sidewall with 17's. on the trail I didn't notice a difference at all

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would highly recommend 17". They are a very common size and finding tires for them will be a lot easier and will be more cost effective. They will also be a better fit for when you decide to go 37 :D

Basscat

IMO this has really to do with the relationship between tire diameter and wheel diameter. In other words having enough "meet" in the form of sidewall height. I wouldn't want to run a 22" wheel with a 35" tire nor would I want to run a 15" wheel with a 40" tire. With your envisioned 35" tires you could run either wheel and be OK although I'm guessing you may have more wheel options in the 17" size.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

tdougherty81

I've ran 16" wheels for awhile but I would say 17" wheels are the way to go for the simple fact you have way more tire options.

bigcale

Caught the Bug
Already been said but there will be more tire choices with 17's. There will be enough sidewall that you can still air down, but on pavement there will be less sidewall deflection so handling will be better than with a 16.

woof359

17 for sure

go with the bigger wheel and get that extra 1/2 inch of clearance, you have more choices too when it comes to tires if you go with 17's, Im still on 16 inch wheels and kick my self all the time for not spending a few more bucks for the bigger wheels

black pearl

Hooked
go with the bigger wheel and get that extra 1/2 inch of clearance, you have more choices too when it comes to tires if you go with 17's, Im still on 16 inch wheels and kick my self all the time for not spending a few more bucks for the bigger wheels

Your center line is more about your tier size then rim size as a 35 on a 16 inch rim is the same hight as a 35 on a 17 inch rim and the rim is centered in the tier it puts the center line at the same hight

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

desrt4x

I have had 16" for years and will be going to 17" on the next set of tires. Tire availability seems to be better in 17" with a better selection, 17" will let me do the big brake kit, as stated before
Things are real tight at the caliper and rim

Top Bottom