Jeep JL Wrangler 3.0L EcoDiesel May be Delayed or Nixed

madstiles

Don't even think of ripping out the Emissions controls...we've tried here in Europe and it's a f@@king headache: you have to delete DPF and cat, delete EGR, modify all the ECU programming for the variable geometry turbo, the diesel injection timings, etc etc.... nobody wants to go there unless he has a deep knowledge and equipment for reprogramming the whole computer.
Haha the rednecks here in the USA would have that shit figured out a week after its released!! [emoji1]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Don't even think of ripping out the Emissions controls...we've tried here in Europe and it's a f@@king headache: you have to delete DPF and cat, delete EGR, modify all the ECU programming for the variable geometry turbo, the diesel injection timings, etc etc.... nobody wants to go there unless he has a deep knowledge and equipment for reprogramming the whole computer.

Right, but it seems to be pretty easy....the diesel GC guys seemed to have done it without too much trouble. Once there is a tuner market for it, it's done easily, and cheaply. Chrysler just makes their computers a b!tch to work on, so it takes a longer period of time to come out with the stuff.

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
Right, but it seems to be pretty easy....the diesel GC guys seemed to have done it without too much trouble. Once there is a tuner market for it, it's done easily, and cheaply. Chrysler just makes their computers a b!tch to work on, so it takes a longer period of time to come out with the stuff.

The Italians did it with the 177 Hp version of the 2.8 no problems (no dpf then), but not with the 200 hp that came out after because of the DPF......some how they can't seem to work it out (must be an afterburn problem). Otherwise there are plenty of chips around to boost to 266+ hp and 40% more torque but it will kill the engine on short notice......

Recurve

Lol , like others have said on here. Most my friends have diesel trucks , the first week of owning one they delete the egr , cat an put a tune on it. It's pretty common practice here in the states , especially how popular diesel trucks are.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
Lol , like others have said on here. Most my friends have diesel trucks , the first week of owning one they delete the egr , cat an put a tune on it. It's pretty common practice here in the states , especially how popular diesel trucks are.

and then its not street legal anymore and can't pass the emissions tests etc etc...that's why the DPF makes it a real headache.:doh:

Recurve

and then its not street legal anymore and can't pass the emissions tests etc etc...that's why the DPF makes it a real headache.:doh:

I've never been to an inspection station that checked the emissions of my vehicles. Modified cars I've owned were usually one straight pipe. In my area they are not that strict when it comes to inspection.
It's different state by state. Granted it's still illegal but the amount of trucks an cars that run around my area with no cat or emissions it doesn't really matter.

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
I've never been to an inspection station that checked the emissions of my vehicles. Modified cars I've owned were usually one straight pipe. In my area they are not that strict when it comes to inspection.
It's different state by state. Granted it's still illegal but the amount of trucks an cars that run around my area with no cat or emissions it doesn't really matter.

Lucky you. France & Europe has become a headache for emissions controls:naw: ..... and as much as its easy to bypass tire width, lifts etc you can't get away with emission control failure, or DPF and cat mods......:mad:

JamesWyatt

I'd be disappointed to not get a diesel option but not surprised given the VW fiasco. I was fine with the current engine until I moved to New Mexico, and now I feel the need for more torque. It's annoying to have the trans kick down and scream at high RPM just to keep up interstate speeds between ABQ and Santa Fe. The TDI Touareg I had for a while (don't judge) would not break a sweat at altitude no matter the load. Same with my wife's BMW with a little twin turbo - pulls like a mofo uphill loaded down so heavy it almost wasn't safe. Seems to pull hard and doesn't lag like the VW turbos. If they could twin turbo the current Wrangler engine, I'd be all over that, but I will miss the extended tank rage a diesel would offer.

Last edited:

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
I'd be disappointed to not get a diesel option but not surprised given the VW fiasco. I was fine with the current engine until I moved to New Mexico, and now I feel the need for more torque. It's annoying to have the trans kick down and scream at high RPM just to keep up interstate speeds between ABQ and Santa Fe. The TDI Touareg I had for a while (don't judge) would not break a sweat at altitude no matter the load. Same with my wife's BWM with a little twin turbo - pulls like a mofo uphill loaded down so heavy it almost wasn't safe. Seems to pull hard and doesn't lag like the VW turbos. If they could twin turbo the current Wrangler engine, I'd be all over that, but I will miss the extended tank rage a diesel would offer.

Chrysler and mack are most probably going to produce a twin turbo V6 to replace the aging hemi......will it EVER make it to the Wrangler? I doubt it but it could become a crate engine (2020).
FCA probably delayed the Wrangler because of the emissions pb with the Eco diesel but the future will tell whether or not it is released in the US.

Riflefan

I think the diesel would have been the one option that I would have sold my JKU for. I have a friend that has a 1500 with the diesel and loves it. He can pull a camper and still get better MPG than my JKU. It is quite and efficient.

I wondered if Jeep would have needed to buff up the frame and axle housings to handle the weight and power of the diesel in the wrangler.

cuongdyna

I have a 2017 Colorado 4x4 2.8L Turbo Diesel. I love this truck. I'm getting 26-27 mpg consistently. To get that kind of MPG is crazy on a 4X4 truck! People that own this truck are tell me after the break in period the mpg goes up to 28-29. So yes it would be disappointing if they dont put a diesel in the new JL. I wish this motor was in my JKUR.

TGPJKUR

I have a Ram 1500 ED that is leveled and running 34" E rated tires. This is from my trip to the west coast last summer, I have a cap and the bed had a few hundred pounds of luggage, my Iced down Pelican cooler and an ever-growing amount of beers I collected across the country. I ran highways, lots of city roads, a lot of national park roads and even a semi rugged trail out to Point Sublime at the North rim of the Grand Canyon. I continually hand calculated the MPG per tank and it always remained within a few tenths, the trip computer on this trip was actually pessimistic most of the time. I am quite pleased with this truck. I need to note that I am tuned with a hot tune, I still have all emissions intact however the EGR is turned off. The JL would benefit greatly with this motor, if I ran more miles on my JK I would consider selling it and moving to the JL and starting a new build. Right now the plan is to add a sprintex to help it down the highway but thats another subject. I haven't checked in on whether they have released the 17 Ram EDs lately but I hope it does make it into the new Wrangler.

Attachments

• IMG_1125.jpg
    IMG_1125.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1126.jpg
    IMG_1126.jpg
    473.5 KB · Views: 95

ichthus

Nice beer collection...that's definitely a good reason to drive a truck.

Unless a buyer makes the perfect offer between now and then, my 14 JKU will stick around until the moment I can lay my hands on a 4 door Truck (is it the JL-T or the JT?) with a diesel and manual. I can imagine I may have to sacrifice the manual to get a diesel, or the diesel to get a manual

Last edited:

TGPJKUR

Yes, be interesting to see if they offer the 6m with the ED. While I do enjoy rowing the gears in my jk the 8sp auto works really well in the truck. I would likely choose it over the 6m. Would love to get the jl with a bed but it's too small for my needs at the moment.

Top Bottom