Thinking of Rebuilding a Dana 44

Buwrestler

The current owner bent the axle and has removed the tubes to rebuild it but is now sell one it and I was wondering if it would be worth completing for my xj and what all I would have to do. It's out of a jk rubicon and there asking 350.
IMG_1216.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

srbell0585

Don't think I would pay 350 for that. For the right price and if you wanna take on a project like that it may be worth it. I have seen an xj with jk d44's and 37's and it was very capable.

Sent from my SM-N910T using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I don't know the answer, but why are you replacing a 30 with a 30? Are you just wanting to go high pinion vs low pinion? Why not upgrade to a 44 if you're doing all this work?

Buwrestler

I don't know the answer, but why are you replacing a 30 with a 30? Are you just wanting to go high pinion vs low pinion? Why not upgrade to a 44 if you're doing all this work?

Well I already have a Dana 44 in the rear from a jk with a 3.21 gear ratio and they don't make that ratio for the xj axles and I don't have enough money to spend on a good Dana 44 right as I'm in college and just had surgery yesterday.

Buwrestler

Why are you just now asking this question after already attempting to purchase axles?

I've been trying to purchase one but in the last post a lot of the guys it seemed like suggested not to get the Dana 44 that needed to be replaced. There was a complete Dana 30 I was suppose to get this weekend but with my surgery I just had I could travel to get it and the guy wouldn't hold it any long for me and he sold it to someone else then.

Frydaddy

Well I already have a Dana 44 in the rear from a jk with a 3.21 gear ratio and they don't make that ratio for the xj axles and I don't have enough money to spend on a good Dana 44 right as I'm in college and just had surgery yesterday.

You don't want an XJ with 3.21. I had an Xj with 31" tires and 4.10 and it still felt lethargic. My suggestion is to at least gear the 44 UP to whatever you already have. I would say 4.55 or more.

Buwrestler

I was thinking of 4.10 because it still is a daily driver as of right now. And it still does great with the 3.21 with rubicon wheels and tires. I have a 1998 5 speed Cherokee.

WJCO

Meme King
I've been trying to purchase one but in the last post a lot of the guys it seemed like suggested not to get the Dana 44 that needed to be replaced. There was a complete Dana 30 I was suppose to get this weekend but with my surgery I just had I could travel to get it and the guy wouldn't hold it any long for me and he sold it to someone else then.

That 44 in the other thread was a disaster. Just look for one ready to go. That thing had the tubes cut off the pumpkin and would have taken a ton of time/money on your part. This is a link from Dynatrac that I posted on a thread yesterday just to give you an idea of what would be involved in rebuilding that chopped up 44:

http://www.dynatrac.com/downloads/ProRock FAQ_revK.pdf

And here's a video that Eddie and Cindy made showing how an axle is made, there is a ton of work and knowledge in doing something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlCs35xzm5I

If I were you, find one that is already assembled and ready.

Buwrestler

That 44 in the other thread was a disaster. Just look for one ready to go. That thing had the tubes cut off the pumpkin and would have taken a ton of time/money on your part. This is a link from Dynatrac that I posted on a thread yesterday just to give you an idea of what would be involved in rebuilding that chopped up 44:

http://www.dynatrac.com/downloads/ProRock FAQ_revK.pdf

And here's a video that Eddie and Cindy made showing how an axle is made, there is a ton of work and knowledge in doing something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlCs35xzm5I

If I were you, find one that is already assembled and ready.

Ok thanks for all the info it's a huge help. I just called the local v3 jeep shop around my and they said the might have another customer wanting to sell a Dana 30 hub to hub with all the steering components also.

Top Bottom