2003 Fuel Pump Shutoff

Azzy5779

I got rear ended about a week ago and ever since the crash my jeep won't start. It turns over but doesn't start. My fuel tank got pushed up nearly to my axle. Is there any kind of fuel pump cutoff that shuts off the fuel pump in an event of an accident?

I haven't found anything online but was wondering if there is a button to reset the fuel pump? That is if it does have an auto cutoff.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I don't think it has one, but I would check fuses and possibly swap the fuel pump relay and recheck. You can check and see if you have good power and ground at the pump first, you'll only have power there for about 2 seconds with key on, so having a helper is nice.

Azzy5779

I used to be able to hear the fuel pump before I started it and now I hear nothing. Is there a chance that the pump could have snapped off in the tank?

WJCO

Meme King
I used to be able to hear the fuel pump before I started it and now I hear nothing. Is there a chance that the pump could have snapped off in the tank?

Absolutely. I assumed the pump and tank were replaced already after the accident, sorry. The pump pickup screen is attached and sits near the bottom of the tank. So if the damage is as bad as you make it sound, it's likely that the pump is damaged.

Chad

Unfortunately no sound equals no fuel pump. Check the fuses first to make sure none are blown. Sadly, the next step is to drop the fuel tank, sounds like something got wacked out of place. Keep us posted please.

jeff_in_rc

OK if your tank was pushed up that far you have 2 possible problems.

1) The crash broke the fuel pump.
2) The crash pushed the bottom of the tank up so far it is siting on the bottom of the fuel pump blocking any fuel to the pump. NOTE: the tank is plastic, the skid is not.

You will need to take it apart to get to the root cause, time for a better gas tank skid!

Azzy5779

I have a gas tank skid, and today i got someone to help me and see if it really wasn't working, and the fuel pump didn't work with the ignition on but began working once I tried turning the jeep over... any suggestions?

WJCO

Meme King
I have a gas tank skid, and today i got someone to help me and see if it really wasn't working, and the fuel pump didn't work with the ignition on but began working once I tried turning the jeep over... any suggestions?

You only have power there for about 2 seconds with the ignition on and no cranking. Just long enough to pressurize the system. So is it possible without cranking that it shut off like normal? If so, I would drop the tank and see what's going on. If this started after the accident back there, like the pump is broken but still runs, so you're hearing it pump but it's not getting enough pressure to the engine. Could be bent, broken, or as suggested earlier, the tank is bent to a point where fuel isn't gathering near the bottom of the strainer in there. I honestly think you need to drop the tank and inspect.

Azzy5779

Alright, I'll get back to this post when I get the jeep back, the collision center took it away late this afternoon so it can go on the frame straightening machine, and a few other things that include a new fuel tank and skid. I'll ask them what the deal was once it's all said and done. Thanks for the help in the meantime.

Azzy5779

Finally, I got it back, but I took it back this morning because I didn't feel like dropping a tank. I got in it and went to let the fuel pump initialize but I didn't hear anything. So I tried starting it and it started after a few tries. I put a fuel pressure gauge on it and it doesn't initialize and after I turn it off the pressure on the line drops down to 0 after about 5 mins. So I'm thinking it's either a bad pump or bad regulator because there wasn't any visible fuel leaks.

Azzy5779

Yeah, the pump did actually break off in the tank and they dropped the tank and got a new tank, skid, pump, and regulator but the new pump or regulator wasn't initiating or holding pressure in the lines as I said before. Since it was working fine before the accident, the shop said the would do it free of charge and labor is free too (they had to drop a full tank too). But for now, that's all she wrote as they say. At least for the time being. I'll get back hopefully by tomorrow or early next week on how it went.

Top Bottom