Towing with JK--Brake Controller and 7 Pin Harness

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I pull a pop-up with whatever brake controller they installed at the dealer. It pulls fine, but I would be scared to pull a hard sided camper with my Jeep. The pop-up catches some wind and I can feel it back there. Mine weighs 2500#, but with stock gearing it SUCKS!

What Ddays posted earlier, is correct. It isn't just moving it or stopping it. It's more about stability. More speed magnifies instability.

Trailer brakes are essential for stability. If you've towed without trailer brakes, vs. with trailer brakes, they really help. That way, your trailer isn't moving faster than your vehicle, during stopping. I know that sounds funny, but in some sort of incident, it could keep the trailer from jack knifing. A load leveling hitch, and anti- sway bar is important, too.

When it's windy, you just have to reduce your speed. In other words, for any towing newbs, common sense goes a long way.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

notnalc68

Update. The Tekonsha P3 already had my interest. I found one on Amazon. I ordered an OEM wiring harness from Mopar Parts for Me. I still have the stock rear bumper, so I may see if I can rig the plug into the face of the bumper.

notnalc68

Installed Tekonsha 90195 P3, an Mopar 7 pin wiring harness. There is no Tekonsha adapter for Wranglers, so I had to wire everything direct.

This white wire is supposed to be the brake wire. I used a quick splice connector.
IMG_8785.JPG

I still have the factory rear bumper, and found you can locate the controller plug higher, by cutting the plastic, above the rear crossmember.

IMG_8783.jpg
IMG_8784.jpg

Everything seems to be working. I just have to test it, with the trailer.

Top Bottom