REVERE THE STEER - Rubicat Going Wide with 72.5" Dynatrac XD60 / PRO 1550 Front Axle

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Our earlier Pro60 wheel end that is still available will also accept most 5.5" BS x 17-inch wheels. Some wheels and some steering configurations may not apply, so this is not a blanket answer for everyone. But if you you have a ProRock 60F (XD or Gen-1) with our earlier Pro60 wheel end with our crossover steering for a JK, most wheels should not be a problem.

Even with the 5.5" BS wheel the Pro60 does not offer the reduced scrub radius of the new 1550 wheel end.

Thank you for chiming in and offering some clarification :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
While Cindy and I were doing some additional filming for the video we're working on, I happened to notice something that was worth documenting and sharing with all of you. Specifically, while parked and with the engine running, I turned Moby's steering wheel from a full lock to a full lock - back and forth multiple times and after the fact, I saw the following footprint left behind.
IMG_4226.jpg

As you can see in these close up shots, you can really see just how much his tires were scrubbing around the steering axis inclination, basically creating arcs around a point and leaving behind a blurry footprint.
IMG_4221.jpg

IMG_4222.jpg

Now, here's what the footprints looked like from Rubicat doing the exact same thing.
IMG_4225.jpg

As you can see here, her tires were clearly pivoting in place and leaving behind distinct and well defined prints of her lugs, twisting around a center point.
IMG_4223.jpg

IMG_4224.jpg

The proof is in the prints :cool:

Wow....that is impressive. At first, I thought air pressure could play a role in the marks. It has nothing to do with pressure. The marks in the middle of RubiCats printing truly stay in the center and don't look as marked("scrubbed") as Moby's do. Thats awesome.

SoCal_JK

While Cindy and I were doing some additional filming for the video we're working on, I happened to notice something that was worth documenting and sharing with all of you. Specifically, while parked and with the engine running, I turned Moby's steering wheel from a full lock to a full lock - back and forth multiple times and after the fact, I saw the following footprint left behind.

Very clever :thumb:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

It's all in the science
IMG_7510.JPG

MonkeyLeo13

Thank god that I got second kid that delay my jeep project a little bit longer and found out all about this, my mind just blew away! It like, "Hmm, that's true..." then I read more, "Ohh that make sense!" Until last part i saw example of steering turned/tires on floor: Ohh!

Thank you Wayalife/Dynatrac for all details here and make awesome products become reality!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wow....that is impressive. At first, I thought air pressure could play a role in the marks. It has nothing to do with pressure. The marks in the middle of RubiCats printing truly stay in the center and don't look as marked("scrubbed") as Moby's do. Thats awesome.

Yeah, psi was the same in both tires. Also, they were both Cooper STT Pro's with a 13.50 wide tread. Moby is running a 40 and Rubicat a 37 but that was the only real difference between the two and really, the PRO 1550 knuckles are optimized for a 40. In other words, the minimal scrub you see with Rubicat's prints would be EVEN LESS if she were running 40's. :yup:

It's all in the science

Indeed it is :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is that knuckle what the xd 60 comes with or do you have to throw down a little extra?

Sorry I missed this earlier. The PRO 1550 comes standard if you get the Elite XD60/PR80 package but if you get the XD60 by itself, I believe it is an upgrade to the Pro 60 knuckles that come standard.

Thank god that I got second kid that delay my jeep project a little bit longer and found out all about this, my mind just blew away! It like, "Hmm, that's true..." then I read more, "Ohh that make sense!" Until last part i saw example of steering turned/tires on floor: Ohh!

Thank you Wayalife/Dynatrac for all details here and make awesome products become reality!

:cheesy: Glad this post was useful and informative for you :yup:

Sorry I missed this earlier. The PRO 1550 comes standard if you get the Elite XD60/PR80 package but if you get the XD60 by itself, I believe it is an upgrade to the Pro 60 knuckles that come standard.

:cheesy: Glad this post was useful and informative for you :yup:

Wayalife has it right. Our Elite package has all the same benefits, includes the new 1550 wheel end and comes in a great package at a lower price than configuring custom assemblies. If you have a JK with a lift kit that keeps the factory style of coil springs and separate shocks, the Elite package is for you. The Elite package is what I have on my 2013 Commando Green JK. The 1550 wheel end and not the wider axle is what provides the low-scrub, steering and handling benefits.

The wider axle is only required if you are running coil-overs, bypass shocks outside the frame, AND installing the 5.5" BS wheels with 40-inch tires. The wider axle keeps the tires from rubbing the bypass shocks in extreme articulation positions.

Lower backspace wheels, or smaller tires may provide enough clearance without the wider axle. At this time we simply do not have enough cars, wheels, and tire combos to check all the possible combinations.

rockwell

Our earlier Pro60 wheel end that is still available will also accept most 5.5" BS x 17-inch wheels. Some wheels and some steering configurations may not apply, so this is not a blanket answer for everyone. But if you you have a ProRock 60F (XD or Gen-1) with our earlier Pro60 wheel end with our crossover steering for a JK, most wheels should not be a problem.

About to pull the trigger on some Hutchinsons with a 5.28" BS (4.75" hub bore) for my ordered 60/60 package. Seeing that most 5.5 BS should work, these should work in theory too correct? Especially since there is a little less back spacing. Sorry to ask again but it's a big nut if they end up rubbing.

cmireles

Maybe I missed it in the thread somewhere but why not give moby the upgrade and give rubicat the old 60? Obviously both rigs are very capable but I always assumed moby gets the better upgrades since it's more or less a street legal version of EVO1.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Journeyman

Maybe I missed it in the thread somewhere but why not give moby the upgrade and give rubicat the old 60? Obviously both rigs are very capable but I always assumed moby gets the better upgrades since it's more or less a street legal version of EVO1.

All though I believe evo and moby share a lot of the same parts. I think evo 1 is completely different now. Total race rig with things like the engine set back for better balance etc.
So you would disassemble two rigs to upgrade one and not show any love of new parts to the 44 front end that was under rubicat [emoji855]

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
Top Bottom