TJ Transfer Case drop

USOWEN

I have a major crack in my transfer case and going to be swapping it out next week. I run a 2.5" lift so I planned on using Skyjacker TCL 103 to drop it.

Anyone have some word of advice on transfer case drops?

Also do I need a shifter bracket to compensate for the difference?

IMG_20170326_152508%7E2.jpg

jeff_in_rc

If it were me I would do the following:

1) install a SYE on the replacement t-case (slip yoke eliminator) and you won't need to drop the t-case.
2) get the Novak t-case shifter cable, eliminates the hard linkage.
3) get a new rear driveshaft with a double cardon u-joint for the t-case end.

Then go out and have some fun!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If it were me I would do the following:

1) install a SYE on the replacement t-case (slip yoke eliminator) and you won't need to drop the t-case.
2) get the Novak t-case shifter cable, eliminates the hard linkage.
3) get a new rear driveshaft with a double cardon u-joint for the t-case end.

Then go out and have some fun!

Couldn't agree more. A t-case drop will help prevent vibrations but you effectively lower what you paid so much to raise up.

If money is an issue, you shouldn't need too much of a drop with just 2.5" of lift. IF you have vibrations, I might install a few washers to minimize your drop and if needed, install a small motor mount lift to help make up the difference.

USOWEN

I barely even know about SYE besides I can't afford one... lol

Does a SYE kit like Crown Automotives RT24005 give both the front and rear a fixed yolk?

also I don't have lockers and I have Dana 30's. So if my wheels spin and suddenly get traction won't the Fixed yolk break? or thread?

so far I think with a 2.5" lift it seems to be a better option just to drop the transfer case 1"

Sent from my ONE A2005 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKbrick

Start soaking the inside of the frame now where those bolts are if you don't take these guys advice and go ahead and drop it. If those bolts spin the giant nutserts in your frame you are screwed

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeff_in_rc

I barely even know about SYE besides I can't afford one... lol

If you can wait I would get the SYE, it will help you in the long run. You take the t-case apart and replace a few parts, now you have a fixed yoke and not one the slips in and out.

Does a SYE kit like Crown Automotives RT24005 give both the front and rear a fixed yolk?

IIRC the front driveshaft has a fixed yoke on the t-case, not a slip yoke.

also I don't have lockers and I have Dana 30's. So if my wheels spin and suddenly get traction won't the Fixed yolk break? or thread?

Now why would you think that? Anyway, it does not matter if you have lockers or not and no you won't break the yoke under normal conditions.

so far I think with a 2.5" lift it seems to be a better option just to drop the transfer case 1"

It would be the cheapest and quickest but if you plan on keeping the jeep for a long time you might think about that first, know what I mean?

Sent from my ONE A2005 using WAYALIFE mobile app

See above for my replies.

Top Bottom