Which one of three?

RamP

I'm going on my first off road event in March at Rouche Creek PA. I've set aside about $400 for a nice mod for the trip. In your opinion which of these three would you get?
1. Evo skid plates. Oil, trans, crossmember.
2. Spider 1.5 spacers
3. Cobra cb radio.

I already have the bare bones recovery gear. This would just be a bonus. And it's for a 2013 Rubicon Unlimited.
I'm pretty sure what the choice will be but wanted to bounce this around first.
Thanks for the advice
Rich

Last edited:

RamP

I should also add that I'll be hitting blues and greens. NO REDS. My mechanical sympathy is still very high and the Jeep is still stock.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
CB. You have skids from the factory. If you do the CB you could do the wheel spacers as well and still have about $150-200 leftover.

Tackerdown

Banned
Are you stock? I'm not sure if the 2013 has a skid over the oil/ trans.green over there is easy stock blue you will do a lot more grinding . Our last trip we did a lot more blue and after a 2.5 BB lift I still had a bit of grinding , that said I don't have a skid on my oil / trans and didn't hit it but wish I did because I would have tried a few more fun lines. I also have stock 32' s . We use good 2 way radios just for the fact that not everyone has a cb yet .

C.O.D.

jkjurny

Are you stock? I'm not sure if the 2013 has a skid over the oil/ trans.green over there is easy stock blue you will do a lot more grinding . Our last trip we did a lot more blue and after a 2.5 BB lift I still had a bit of grinding , that said I don't have a skid on my oil / trans and didn't hit it but wish I did because I would have tried a few more fun lines. I also have stock 32' s . We use good 2 way radios just for the fact that not everyone has a cb yet .

C.O.D.

Skids. You may decide to push yourself just due to adrenaline. Best to have that safety guard on your critical components.

RamP

Thanks for the reply's. Yes it's stock. I don't think there is any major skid plates on the 13's. I don't remember seeing any when I did the oil change.
Overlander I thought about that too and it's super tempting.
That being said I am leaning toward the skids myself.
Oh And it's a manual.

Jersey_Devil

I'm going on my first off road event in March at Rouche Creek PA. I've set aside about $400 for a nice mod for the trip. In your opinion which of these three would you get?
1. Evo skid plates. Oil, trans, crossmember.
2. Spider 1.5 spacers
3. Cobra cb radio.

I already have the bare bones recovery gear. This would just be a bonus. And it's for a 2013 Rubicon Unlimited.
I'm pretty sure what the choice will be but wanted to bounce this around first.
Thanks for the advice
Rich

I should also add that I'll be hitting blues and greens. NO REDS. My mechanical sympathy is still very high and the Jeep is still stock.

I'll be there if ur talking about the EJS Easter run at Rausch Creek 3/28-4/1
U can definitely afford both the spacers and cb (and antenna) with money left over

Tackerdown

Banned
Thanks for the reply's. Yes it's stock. I don't think there is any major skid plates on the 13's. I don't remember seeing any when I did the oil change.
Overlander I thought about that too and it's super tempting.
That being said I am leaning toward the skids myself.
Oh And it's a manual.

I guess I never really answered your question directly .
Skidd imo . But I'm going with a bit cheaper setup,m.o.r.e skids that I found for 280.00

Sent from my PC36100 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Nicholas

The only reason I say forget the skids is I was stock for 3 years before doing any mods, crazy I know. i dragged, landed hard and got high centered on my skids without doing any damage to my engine, transmission or transfer case with stock skid plates.(now I jinxed myself, lol) your transfer case skid is solid and the gas tank skid is not too bad either.

Are you getting bigger or wider tires? If so, wheel spacers will help prevent rubbing but save your money if your not. IMO.

RamP

Lol. I like option 4 too.

Long term plan is to run 35's on stock wheels. So the spacers would be needed then. I hear what your saying about the stock xfer case and tank skids. Just can't help seeing all that un covered space under there. :crazyeyes:

JUNKYARD DOG

You will learn what you need only by wheeling your Jeep . Learn how to use it and all the features it comes with. Especially the Rubicon, which is by far more than most Jeepers even start out with. Good luck with putting it to the trails and take your time with mods.... If it is truly a Wayoflife for you as they say, the mods will come to you..... With out influence and what others say works for them. Go ahead push buttons, switch gears, attempt the rock that scares you. :rock:

Last edited:

Tackerdown

Banned
I've only been off road twice and it was at rausch and besides scratches from some branches my dif covers transfer case skid and the tank skid were the only thing that got abused oh and the control arms. They all defiantly got tested. I had to do allot more maneuvering than the other guys but managed. with all those pointy rocks I was always worried about hitting my pan. any how there is allot of blue you will be just fine on. cv, 2 , 4, were some I was on and managed ,there were some others but I can't remember them. If you go on 2 there are two hills you may want to gas it a little at the top as not to get centered .

Last edited:
Top Bottom