Goodyear MTR Balancing

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes. I'd have to agree. The old MTR was better. It did chunk a little more in the rocks though. As for sidewall failure that's a crap shoot. When it's your time it's your time. The only sidewall I ever blew was on the old MTR but that was in a blizzard at 10k ft. During hunting season. The jeep fell into a deep rut and caught a sharp rock and the sidewall was sliced with ease. Kind of like your sidewall failure with the tree stump on the Coopers ( a really good tire imo). Those types of blowouts are hit and miss affairs.

I'd have to disagree with the sidewall failure. The Cooper failure I had was caused by a tree lancing a tire at full street pressure - kinda like a needle to a ballon and that caused it to rupture. The MTR failures I've seen including during the Nitto testing were all on aired down tires. Rather than pushing past a sharp rock, I have seen the sidewall catch on it and get pulled until it tore. I have seen this multiple times on the trail and it was one of the tests that we specifically did with Nitto while they were developing their K-spec 40. Granted, this has just been what I have seen.

Basscat

I'd have to disagree with the sidewall failure. The Cooper failure I had was caused by a tree lancing a tire at full street pressure - kinda like a needle to a ballon and that caused it to rupture. The MTR failures I've seen including during the Nitto testing were all on aired down tires. Rather than pushing past a sharp rock, I have seen the sidewall catch on it and get pulled until it tore. I have seen this multiple times on the trail and it was one of the tests that we specifically did with Nitto while they were developing their K-spec 40. Granted, this has just been what I have seen.

Glad that wasn't my experience with MTRs. Must be living right! Running the Cooper currently and like it very much.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Glad that wasn't my experience with MTRs. Must be living right! Running the Cooper currently and like it very much!

The only tires that I have ever run to NOT suffer a sidewall failure are Toyo MT's. I have found them to be virtually bulletproof especially in a 37x13.50. It's a big part of why I have gone back to them time and time again in the past. The 37x13.50 Coopers seem really tough as well but then, they're load range E tires much like the Toyos. The 40's I have now are only range C and are a lot lighter than the Toyos. Granted, they hook up a hell of a lot better on the rocks and are better in the snow and ice too.

Basscat

The only tires that I have ever run to NOT suffer a sidewall failure are Toyo MT's. I have found them to be virtually bulletproof especially in a 37x13.50. It's a big part of why I have gone back to them time and time again in the past. The 37x13.50 Coopers seem really tough as well but then, they're load range E tires much like the Toyos. The 40's I have now are only range C and are a lot lighter than the Toyos. Granted, they hook up a hell of a lot better on the rocks and are better in the snow and ice too.

Yes. That's coincidentally right where I am (Cooper 40s). My biggest take away so far on both the 37s and 40s is the pretty darn good performance in snow packed conditions on the road. That's where most all MTs fail miserably!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes. That's coincidentally right where I am (Cooper 40s). My biggest take away so far on both the 37s and 40s is the pretty darn good performance in snow packed conditions on the road. That's where most all MTs fail miserably!

Couldn't agree with you more! Of all the MT's I have run in the past, these new Cooper STT Pros hands down perform the best in snow. Nothing like a Duratrac but way better than any other MT I've run.

Basscat

I really think the newer style MTRs try to do so much with that very busy tread pattern that they lend themselves to cupping and little flat spots within that intricate tread pattern. That's what makes them get weird no matter how often you balance them. Stuff like that doesn't matter on a HUMV.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
While that may be true. I should note, the problems I had with my 37" MTRs started immediately on brand new 0 mile tires. They just weren't round, and had excessive runout. Discount tire warrantied three of them, but two of them were also bad. After that the tires were on national backorder with no ETA on shipment.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Colorado2003

I hate to see anyone try and run down how to balance the MTRs. I had 37s and had discount tire replace 3 of the tires. Then balance them 4 separate times before I had them warranty them out. They made my rig drive terrible on the road and the balance weight changed each time. Cut your loss and get rid of them on Craig's list! I absolutely love my 40" Toyo's and will never put anything else on my rig. Hope you can get them replaced!

Ausjeep113

It seems like its really hit and miss with the new MT/R, some people say they are the worst ever and then some people have never had a problem.
I've been running a set of 315/75R16 on my rig for just over a year now, they balanced up super easy. I've run them between 20-32 psi depending on how lazy I have been driving home from trails and they have never given me any grief. Some small chunking from jagged rocks but that's about it. I probably wouldn't buy them again though just because they are so hit and miss. Just glad I got lucky on these ones.

J

JKDream

Well - some good news has come out of today.
They are balanced - and the wobble is gone.
They still track like shit on the highway - but I have so much bump steer at the moment different tires wouldn't help much anyway.
Looks like new tires will be coming sooner than later anyhow as I got a great quote on some STT Pros.
I'm just happy they're driveable for the mean time. Now to just track down this floorboard vibration :crazyeyes:

Top Bottom