CB Radio

Rubicon310

Looking for a little guidance one a CB install.

I've read a few threads where guys have grounded their Coax cable from the antenna to the cb radio.

Is this really necessary?

I will be installing a 4ft Firestick 2 with a Cobra 75.

I will be mounting the antenna onto the LoD tire carrier by drilling out one of the two holes along the top that are originally designed for the 3rd light bracket.

Once the hole is drilled out, I will install one of these..
IMG_9069.JPG
IMG_9068.JPG

I purchased 20 feet of coax from Radio Shack. Other than needing the spring, anything else I may need? Is spicing the coax and grounding it necessary?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TRLJNKY

Mine is not spliced at all. 20ft from the back of the radio and the antenna mount is located on the spare tire delete plate. I will be moving it to my tire carrier soon though. I have a 4ft firestick and Uniden 505. Zero issues with performance. Be interestimg though if someone else chimes in with a different opinion on grounding

sent from my Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Don't modify you Coax. The grounding is achieved through the mount it's self. I good setup will have solid ground at the coax collar, and completely isolated at the inner socket of the antenna stud. The ground plane at the antenna mount is critical so the mount needs a good contact with a the body.

Rubicon310

Don't modify you Coax. The grounding is achieved through the mount it's self. I good setup will have solid ground at the coax collar, and completely isolated at the inner socket of the antenna stud. The ground plane at the antenna mount is critical so the mount needs a good contact with a the body.

I will be using the stud pictured above. This will be threaded into a 1/2 inch hole that I'll be making on my powder coated tire carrier. Would this be a problem?

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Mine is not spliced at all. 20ft from the back of the radio and the antenna mount is located on the spare tire delete plate. I will be moving it to my tire carrier soon though. I have a 4ft firestick and Uniden 505. Zero issues with performance. Be interestimg though if someone else chimes in with a different opinion on grounding

I tried using my bumper mounted tire carrier to mount mine originally. I had a very hard time keeping my SWR down to a usable level. It wasn't getting a solid ground through the carrier hinge I think because of the grease on the spindle. I got much better results after moving to the tailgate.

TRLJNKY

I tried using my bumper mounted tire carrier to mount mine originally. I had a very hard time keeping my SWR down to a usable level. It wasn't getting a solid ground through the carrier hinge I think because of the grease on the spindle. I got much better results after moving to the tailgate.

Good to know. I was actiually concerned about that as well. Ill have to play with it. Worst case, maybe justnrun a small ground strap right at the pivot point.
I will be using the stud pictured above. This will be threaded into a 1/2 inch hole that I'll be making on my powder coated tire carrier. Would this be a problem?

My antenna mount is powder coated also. No issues. If I did have issues, I would have just sanded a small area.

Rubicon310

Actually, I will be mounting the stud on the tailgate plate. Not the actual tire carrier portion of the bumper. This plate is attached to the tailgate with 8 screws I believe. IMG_9072.JPG

The red circle is where I plan to screw the antenna stud into.

chipper

Run it the way your planning on, and then check your SWR's. If they are to high , run a separate ground wire from your antenna mount to something close by that would have a good ground. DO NOT cut into your coax. Also sometimes the spring you attach your antenna to, will give you problems.

black pearl

Hooked
Actually, I will be mounting the stud on the tailgate plate. Not the actual tire carrier portion of the bumper. This plate is attached to the tailgate with 8 screws I believe. View attachment 251165

I had to run a small ground strap from the tub to the tailgate to get a good ground for my antenna Image1491147995.108059.jpg

scrota76

20 feet is a lot of cable. Make sure you spread out the extra cable, do not coil it up and tuck it somewhere. If its coiled up you will never be able to tune it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

You may want to sand the inside of one of the mounting holes so that the plate has a good ground to the tailgate. 16' is all you need so you will have 4' extra, make sure you space it out and don't coil it or you will cause yourself a major headache.

Andy5160

Hooked
You may want to sand the inside of one of the mounting holes so that the plate has a good ground to the tailgate. 16' is all you need so you will have 4' extra, make sure you space it out and don't coil it or you will cause yourself a major headache.

As stated make sure bottom of the hole is sanded down. Powder coating must be removed. To make sure i have wire going from the antenna mount through the gate to the body of the jeep. There is a bolt in the trunk attaching plastic part of the sub-woofer enclosure to the body of the jeep i grounded it to that bolt.

The Cock Father

Actually, I will be mounting the stud on the tailgate plate. Not the actual tire carrier portion of the bumper. This plate is attached to the tailgate with 8 screws I believe. View attachment 251165

Please let us know how this works. This is my exact thought for an antenna location. And I have wondered if it would work.

Thanks for being the test mule!

Rubicon310

Thanks for all the input. I installed the cobra 75 on my jeep. Works great.

I ended up using the hole closest to the gold color latch as this was more centered. Required a 1/2 inch drill bit to allow the antenna stud to slide in all the way.

The Cock Father

Thanks for all the input. I installed the cobra 75 on my jeep. Works great.

I ended up using the hole closest to the gold color latch as this was more centered. Required a 1/2 inch drill bit to allow the antenna stud to slide in all the way.

Nice!
What length and brand antenna? Did you use a SWR meter, and if so, what was your reading?

I'm new to the CB thang! Any insight would be great, as I have the same LOD Destroyer bumper and carrier...

Top Bottom