Kings coilovers shocks

awdel87

I'm new to this, so I'm trying to save money to do coilovers in my 2004 Rubicon, but I want to know what's is? and how does it works? a spring rate.
I was checking kings website and they ask for spring rate. What would be the difference between 200lbs in rate and 500lbs as an example???

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

IBSMSHN

Don't know this would help but I ordered mine from off-road evolution and they were ready to go with the right spring rate and specs of my jk. Since they do a lot of jeeps already I'm pretty sure that they have it down to a science to what you're putting them on.

dillard09

Don't know this would help but I ordered mine from off-road evolution and they were ready to go with the right spring rate and specs of my jk. Since they do a lot of jeeps already I'm pretty sure that they have it down to a science to what you're putting them on.

I thought the same thing too but he has a TJ. Not sure they have something for a TJ like they do the JK. But might be worth asking

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

dillard09

Can't wait for my bypasses.. dillard09, I want to look like yours[emoji1360]Quick question, how is your ride?

HAHA, That's a silly question. Do you think that lots of people would go to the DTD if it didn't ride like butter. Last time out we went to Cougar Buttes and I was in the lead. When we hit the dirt till we got to a good spot to air down, I had 1 tire aired down working on second and had the upper half doors off by the time the others showed up. So hows the ride? Awesome! :thumb:
You will love them!

IBSMSHN

Yeah you was hauling, yes I did everything except the bypasses DTD the front and rear. Well I just figured I'll save some money so I could do my axles but now I think I'm going to get my bypasses, do axles when I break[emoji51] but thanks for the feedback.

dillard09

Yeah you was hauling, yes I did everything except the bypasses DTD the front and rear. Well I just figured I'll save some money so I could do my axles but now I think I'm going to get my bypasses, do axles when I break[emoji51] but thanks for the feedback.

Sorry to derail OP, Ill DM you

tgoss

Google search: coilover bible

Read, then read again.

It's beyond informative and will give you everything you can actually read about them. Best way to learn is to get yourself as "set-up" as possible calculating your spring rates based on corner weights and what you'll likely use your vehicle for then start playing with them yourself.

jesse3638

Hooked

I see you breaking axles and being in need of them pretty quickly after you get your bypasses as you'll be wanting to go that much faster..;)

Basscat

I'm new to this, so I'm trying to save money to do coilovers in my 2004 Rubicon, but I want to know what's is? and how does it works? a spring rate.
I was checking kings website and they ask for spring rate. What would be the difference between 200lbs in rate and 500lbs as an example???

EXAMPLE: a 200 lb spring means it takes 200 pounds to compress the spring 1". What you'll need to do is either weigh each corner and determine what suspension height or uptravel you want then order the appropriate spring/s.

OR

Use a reputable spring to begin with and calculate your corner weight based on spring compression (in other words if your "squat" or spring compression is 4" on a single 200 lb spring then you're looking at a 800 lb sprung weight on that corner). Obviously since most coil overs are dual spring you'll have to do this x 2. You then need to decide how much up travel or lift height (exposed shaft) you want in order to match up spring compression with ride height and select the correct spring rate for each spring. Then comes the shock itself and compression / rebound tuning! That's all about selecting the appropriate shim stack pattern (the order in which you stack your shims on each side (compression/rebound) of the piston and the shim (disc) thickness which dictates the resistance of the hydraulic fluid flowing from one side of the piston to the other.

Here's the good news! Folks like EVO already do this for you based on what the average guy on this forum does with his jeep! So when you Buy a coil over package you likely don't have to mess with it much if at all.

Always a good idea to call folks like EVO or King or Fox or Filthy Motorsports so they can explain it way better than I.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
Top Bottom