Drilling Right Knuckle for Drag Link Flip

PHX JK

I'm gonna be drilling a 7/8 hole to install the Currie Currectlync Steering with flipped drag link next Saturday.
Kinda a Nubee question for a Mechanic of 23 years however here it goes
Have you guys had any luck using a Uni Bit Step bit to drill the 7/8 hole? I've had one in my tool box
at work for 11 years bought originally to drill Mercedes Sheet Metal to mount Satellite Antennas.
I never used one of these bits for anything but Body Panels but there are guys on this site you say "It cuts like butter"
I suppose I could play it safe and buy a 7/8 drill bit too. I have a limited time at work to have this Jeep of mine apart.
I do a lot of heavy line work at a Dealership and have only 2 hoists and one almost always occupied with a heavy line
job.

So what are your suggestions on Drilling the 7/8 hole for the tapered insert for the draglink flip. I noticed Synergy
actually included a bit like the Irwin Stepped Bit in the kit.
Thanks in advance
PHX JK

Last edited:

JKbrick

I'm gonna be drilling a 7/8 hole to install the Currie Satellite Steering with flipped drag link next Saturday.
Have you guys had any luck using a Uni Bit Step bit to drill the 7/8 hole? I've had one in my tool box
at work for 11 years bought originally to drill Mercedes Sheet Metal to mount Satellite Antennas.
I never used one of these bits for anything but Body Panels but there are guys on this site you say "It cuts like butter"
I suppose I could play it safe and buy a 7/8 drill bit too. I have a limited time at work to have this Jeep of mine apart.
I do a lot of heavy line work at a Dealership and have only 2 hoists and one almost always occupied with a heavy line
job.

So what are your suggestions on Drilling the 7/8 hole for the tapered insert for the draglink flip. I noticed Synergy
Thanks in advance
PHX JK

The step bit was a lot easier than a regular drill bit in my experience

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
I used a step bit to start but mine was larger than 7/8 so I finished with a regular 7/8 bit. Go slow and hold on tight other wise your wrists may regret it. Had my step bit been 7/8 I would imagine it would have been a lot easier.

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
I'm gonna be drilling a 7/8 hole to install the Currie Satellite Steering with flipped drag link next Saturday.
job.

Thanks in advance
PHX JK

I used a step bit on a friends no issue - so long as the max at the top of the bit is 7/8. it will be a hair short but a bit adapter did the trick and yes, it cuts much smoother than a drill bit.

Also have a dremel handy, you may need to enlarge the hole just slightly and the dremel with the grinding stone works great.
the tapered insert should fit snug not tight...it should slide into the drilled hole without force.

Last edited:

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
I just got a whole set of large bits for like 14 dollars at Harbor Freight that had a 7/8's in it. Never needed that size before or since so I didn't want to spend on a really good bit. It went through in a few seconds like butter. Did need the larger chuck drill which I already had.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Cutting oil is your friend. When you get white smoke, stop and let it cool.

I want to say the step bit that I used went up further than 7/8 so I started it with the step bit and then had to go buy a 7/8 regular bit to finish it off.

Frydaddy

Its super easy, and to quote my comment from your other thread

Yea, your step bit will work fine. Its a thick chunk of metal, but its iron, real soft metal to drill through. I used a stock right-hand-drive drag link (52126058AD) but ran into a small problem with the synergy adapter.

See, the stock nut is almost too narrow for the new 7/8" hole. I recommend drilling ALMOST the whole way through. Measure the adapter and drill just a little bit further. This leaves a shelf for the nut to grab on to. If this doesnt work, you will need a washer to keep the small nut from drawing into the hole, and there's barely enough bolt to grab onto at that point too.

Top Bottom