JEEP TRAIL OFFROAD GPS: What GPS is everyone running?

GraniteCrystal

Not an apple person, but do they do screen mirroring? If so, why not use the gps in your phone and mirror the output to the ipad?

Sent from my SM-G900P using WAYALIFE mobile app
You can actually do one better and use your phone as a GPS to transmit to the iPad, just as the Dual would do. Cons: drains phone battery and (this is the one that stopped me) Apple devices (iPad mini) don't allow Android devices (my phone) to Bluetooth connect. I hate how Apple pulls this crap and doesn't play well with others.

TonyT

Caught the Bug
Just to clarify, I'm not looking for app or tablet recommendations. I'm looking for external GPS recommendations to use with my iPad mini. See OP.

These are the 5 I know of (had this list saved, the prices may have since changed.)
I was torn between the Bad Elf Pro and the Dual XGPS150A. I bought the Dual simply because it was half the price. Seemed to work okay, but shortly after I started using it I bought a New iPad mini with the Verizon Cellular chip and had no use for the external GPS.

-- Bad Elf Pro (uses Bluetooth) ... ... MSRP $179
-- Bad Elf (plugs directly into bottom of iPad) ... ... MSRP $129
-- Garmin GLO (Bluetooth) ... ... MSRP $99
-- Delorme InReach (Bluetooth) ... ... MSRP $249 plus monthly subscription
-- Dual XGPS150A (Bluetooth) ... ... MSRP $100

GraniteCrystal

These are the 5 I know of (had this list saved, the prices may have since changed.)
I was torn between the Bad Elf Pro and the Dual XGPS150A. I bought the Dual simply because it was half the price. Seemed to work okay, but shortly after I started using it I bought a New iPad mini with the Verizon Cellular chip and had no use for the external GPS.

-- Bad Elf Pro (uses Bluetooth) ... ... MSRP $179
-- Bad Elf (plugs directly into bottom of iPad) ... ... MSRP $129
-- Garmin GLO (Bluetooth) ... ... MSRP $99
-- Delorme InReach (Bluetooth) ... ... MSRP $249 plus monthly subscription
-- Dual XGPS150A (Bluetooth) ... ... MSRP $100
Want to sell me your Dual you no longer need?

WJCO

Meme King
I've been using the Garmin Etrex 20 for years now as a primary backpacking GPS. I do use it in the Jeep as well, but it's not ideal for that. The screen is really small, that's my only gripe with it and the reason I wish I had a bigger one for the Jeep.

black pearl

Hooked
I've been using the Garmin Etrex 20 for years now as a primary backpacking GPS. I do use it in the Jeep as well, but it's not ideal for that. The screen is really small, that's my only gripe with it and the reason I wish I had a bigger one for the Jeep.
That is one of the ones I was looking at. I would be using it mainly as a reference more then Constant navy so I'm not to worried about a smaller screen

I picked up one of these to use with my iPad install. (refer to GraniteCrystals Carrichs iPad install for that - that's where I got the idea from)

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B006M49G80/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I literally installed it last night so I can't tell you how it works yet. It does come with an armband for walking/hiking/biking use.

Not too costly - it's $83 on Amazon

Edit: Works with Apple & Android software

That is a good price but am trying to get away from using my phone as my navigation system

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
Off road GPS

I use an iPad Air with the plug in BadElf. I bought the Gaia app for my mapping GPS source. I pre download maps and never have to worry about having a cellular signal.

Tanktitan

I too have mounted a Carrich over my 430N (a piece of junk for off road navigation IMO). Then I use and old iPad with the Gaia app. Then I use a Dual GPS that syncs to the Gaia topo and plots my tracks. The Gaia system has great coverage of off road trails. You download map sections when you have Wifi and then you are self contained, not needing cellular while on the trail.

WJCO

Meme King
That is one of the ones I was looking at. I would be using it mainly as a reference more then Constant navy so I'm not to worried about a smaller screen

With the etrex 20, you can pay 30 bucks for Birdseye satellite images, download as many as you can within that year and don't renew. They'll be there forever.renew if you want more maps.

I use an iPad Air with the plug in BadElf. I bought the Gaia app for my mapping GPS source. I pre download maps and never have to worry about having a cellular signal.

I too have mounted a Carrich over my 430N (a piece of junk for off road navigation IMO). Then I use and old iPad with the Gaia app. Then I use a Dual GPS that syncs to the Gaia topo and plots my tracks. The Gaia system has great coverage of off road trails. You download map sections when you have Wifi and then you are self contained, not needing cellular while on the trail.

I just got this setup today from a member on the forum. I downloaded all the Gaia maps I want for now. Question: with the bad elf receiver, does Gaia automatically detect it or do I need to change a setting?

Tanktitan

With the etrex 20, you can pay 30 bucks for Birdseye satellite images, download as many as you can within that year and don't renew. They'll be there forever.renew if you want more maps.

I just got this setup today from a member on the forum. I downloaded all the Gaia maps I want for now. Question: with the bad elf receiver, does Gaia automatically detect it or do I need to change a setting?

I can't speak for Bad Elf GPS, but the Dual is Bluetooth. You simply connect thru settings and Gaia receives the Lat/Lon and plots it. My guess is that BE works the same.

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug

You will download the BadElf app that is free. When you plug in your GPS receiver you launch the BadElf app and it starts receiving a signal. After launching Gaia, Gaia WILL automatically connect and use the BadElf receiver.

Top Bottom