In the Market For a New 6-7 Passenger AWD/4x4 SUV: Durango or Explorer?

longarmwj

Well we pulled the trigger on the 13 Durango RT. Brought it home last night...[emoji846]. I don't think they would have gone much if any lower than they did (27.5 vs. the asking of 31.3). I was ready to walk based on being upside down in the Rogue but after doing some math figured I'd still come out ahead based on the terms and differences in the rates of hers and the "new" vehicle. Plus we got out of the shitty loan Lisa was in. I plan to take the amount I'm paying on my jeep once it's paid off next year and apply it to this to pay it off sooner and save on some interest. After driving he explorer and the Durango I was much more comfortable in the Durango. The mpgs aren't quite the same as the V6 but the power of the V8 is nice.

I know I know pics....haha. I'll get them posted later. We didn't get home until nearly 1am.

Thanks again for everyone's input and personal experiences. That's why this forum is great. It's a wealth of knowledge even beyond jeeps and off-roading.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Great choice. And you won't be sorry. Was it a Certified Pre-Owned?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Lisa and I are in the market for a new 6-7 passenger SUV as my truck just isn't working any more. The damn kids keep growing..haha. While I'd love to get a second wrangler my wife isn't to keen on the idea of still needing two vehicles to transport us all around. I figured I'd reach out to the community here looking for some real world experiences with this type of vehicle. We've narrowed it down to the 2017 Dodge Durango and 2017 Ford Explorer. We aren't opposed to buying used if its in good condition, low miles, and a good deal. We looked at the Chevy Tahoe and Traverse and both didn't appeal to us much especially considering the MPG's were a bit lower and the price tag was significantly higher (Tahoe). Any info, experiences, or opinions on these 2 choices or any others we may have over looked (we only looked at the big 3) would be much appreciated. Thanks for everyone's help!

Additionally the AWD/4x4 choice is merely for travels to visit family in Truckee during the winter and possibly mild off roading for camping trips.

While the Tahoe's not in the Winner's category, I'd suggest a close look. We purchased a Suburban for our family, seating 7 (4 bucket, rear bench). It makes for an outstanding tow vehicle. Their construction, durability, and robustness are flat-out impressive. We did numerous road trips with it, including a 10-day Michigan-Colorado trip. 5 of us, plus two dogs, and roof top box, and zero complaints. Not a one. Not one are we there yet, I'm bored, or can we go home. We still miss it. Unfortunately I just cannot justify a Suburban as a '3rd vehicle.'

I would recommend Suburban over Tahoe. The extra 3' (or so) behind the 3rd road seating is immeasurable. The relative mileage penalty between short and longer wheel base is negligible. If you're doing it for space, for the family, and that's the class vehicle you're considering, don't short yourself the space (one compared to the other). That extra space (we used to do rentals)...my wife went to the local Habitat for Humanity to get a replacement refrigerator for one of our homes. She, literally, got a full-size refrigerator in the back with a couple inches to spare. Couldn't believe what that thing could swallow. Heck, with a weight-distribution hitch, the 1500 (only 3% are 2500s) could tow your stock JK on a trailer :).

Depending on your needs, you might not be happy with the Durango. We had a first-gen Durango initially...moved to the Suburban...the Durango was just not big enough. It might say it seats 7, but you're not going to take 5, plus dogs and baggage, to Colorado (as) comfortably :).

Top Bottom