Riddle thread

Ausjeep113

Got told this riddle at work today and it's got me stumped. So though it might be a good idea for a thread and anyone to share any good riddles they may have.

So a fella wants to buy a shirt but has no money, he borrows $15 off one of his mates and $15 off another mate. The shirt cost $27 so he has $3 left over. He gives $1 back to each mate and keeps $1 for himself. So effectively his mates have given him $14 each. 14+14=28, $28 plus the $1 he kept equals $29. Where did the other dollar go?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

GraniteCrystal

Didn't go anywhere. I borrowed $14 from one friend and $14 from another. I then have $28. I bought a shirt for $27 and kept the change.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
He borrowed $13.50 from each of them to pay for the shirt. That's $27. He borrowed an additional $1.50 from each of them. That's the $3.00. He gave them each $1 of the $1.50 back. He kept $0.50 from each of them which is the $1.

His $1 ($0.50 from each guy) plus the $27 for the shirt plus the $2 ($1 to each of them) equals $30.

Ausjeep113

Nope. He borrowed $15 from each friend and then returned $1 each.
Not $14 originally or $13.50. It's easy to make sense of it if you change the original amounts or don't use whole numbers.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Nope. He borrowed $15 from each friend and then returned $1 each.
Not $14 originally or $13.50. It's easy to make sense of it if you change the original amounts or don't use whole numbers.

I didn't change anything. You are letting the order of operations in math trick you. The point is whole numbers don't apply because the cost of the shirt is not divisible by 2 with a whole number as the quotient.

Ausjeep113

I didn't change anything. You are letting the order of operations in math trick you. The point is whole numbers don't apply because the cost of the shirt is not divisible by 2 with a whole number as the quotient.

Thanks Sharkey and I understand that but the point of the question is that the answer is impossible if you use whole numbers. It's easy if you use the order of operations. It's just a silly question [emoji23]

sipafz

Caught the Bug
This is retarded,

Borrowed 15 + 15 = 30
Bought shirt 30 - 27 = 3
Retuned 3 - 1 - 1 = 1
Kept the 1 dollar

There is no extra dollar - you can't add the dollar he kept to 28 to equal 29. It's already added in and part of the 28:

Shirt 27 + dollar kept = 28 not 29!

Ausjeep113

This is retarded,

Borrowed 15 + 15 = 30
Bought shirt 30 - 27 = 3
Retuned 3 - 1 - 1 = 1
Kept the 1 dollar

There is no extra dollar - you can't add the dollar he kept to 28 to equal 29. It's already added in and part of the 28:

Shirt 27 + dollar kept = 28 not 29!

That's it, it's just the way it's worded to confuse people [emoji1303] anyone got a good one?

sipafz

Caught the Bug
That's it, it's just the way it's worded to confuse people [emoji1303] anyone got a good one?

I'm not sure what the point was. Granite Crystal and Sharkey both solved the riddle. All I did was to point out the error of 29.

Here's one for you:

Can you tell me why the caged bird sings?

Yup, I watched "A Walk In The Woods" last night (not to mistaken with reading heavy literature [emoji38]).

Draconianwinter

two archeologists walk into a cave, and there they find two perfectly preserved bodies. One turned and said "we just found Adam and eve". How did he know?

sent from your basement

Top Bottom