CB Wiring

Mikecal9985

A fuse tap is only about $5 and all you'll need to do is run a wire from the fuse box to where you want your CB to go. IMO easier, and cheaper. And you can either pick an always hot fuse (constant 12v), or a switched fuse (switched 12v) that way when you take your key out, your CB shuts off. That's how I have mine wired, because I used to forget it and leave it on all the time.

So with a fuse tap, the red wire would go to the fuse tap and the black I would just have to ground to one of the grounding screws under hood? Am I getting this correct? Also where might I find something that'll tell me which one of my fuses is hot or a switched one?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
So with a fuse tap, the red wire would go to the fuse tap and the black I would just have to ground to one of the grounding screws under hood? Am I getting this correct? Also where might I find something that'll tell me which one of my fuses is hot or a switched one?

Exactly. Red wire would be your positive, and black is ground. You could even ground the CB inside the cab somewhere that way you're only running one wire through the firewall.

You can get a tester light at autozone or alike for about $5, or you could spend a little bit and get a multi-meter that'll work as well. But sometimes just by looking at them you can tell... for example, your wiper fuse is switched because your wipers turn off with the key.

jeeeep

Hooked
Thanks for the great info guys...let's just hope when I take apart the whole dash the plug I need will be there [emoji16]

You don't need to take apart any of the dash just look under the dash from the passenger side at the console level.
If the wiring is there you'll see it right away.
If the plugs are still left in place the harnesses makes it easy to plug into it without any issues otherwise using a wire tap is just as easy all you have to do is locate an ignition hot wire.
I would recommend going with the ignition switched hotwire so it'll turn the cb off.

you don't want to leave the CB on and kill the battery

Seems the CB kills the battery fast

Mikecal9985

Ok I bought the CB and now looking at getting everything else I need...would you guys say a 9' of 18' coax cable for a two door? I'll be running along the roll bar all the way from the glove box, to the tailgate. I've seen plenty of guys running the 18' on a four door, but not sure about a two door. I've also learned that it's not good to loop the coaxial, so I'm not sure what I would do if it had a bit left over if I went with a 18'.

BaddestCross

Ok I bought the CB and now looking at getting everything else I need...would you guys say a 9' of 18' coax cable for a two door? I'll be running along the roll bar all the way from the glove box, to the tailgate. I've seen plenty of guys running the 18' on a four door, but not sure about a two door. I've also learned that it's not good to loop the coaxial, so I'm not sure what I would do if it had a bit left over if I went with a 18'.

18' for the 2 door... Depending on how you route it, there won't be much left over. Loosely coil the extra and you'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Clutch

Caught the Bug

Maybe 15', definitely wouldn't go 9'.

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

BaddestCross

I'm no CB guru by any stretch of the imagination, but doing my research before installing mine, the consensus was 18' is the minimum to use for the proper operation of the antenna regardless of how much you actually need. If there's extra, a loose coil doesn't harm the operation, but if you start using odd lengths things don't work right.

Mikecal9985

I'm no CB guru by any stretch of the imagination, but doing my research before installing mine, the consensus was 18' is the minimum to use for the proper operation of the antenna regardless of how much you actually need. If there's extra, a loose coil doesn't harm the operation, but if you start using odd lengths things don't work right.

Yea I've really only read about people using 18' but I saw on some sites they sold 9' and 18' so I was just checking.

Thanks again for the info guys.

I'll be asking for help when it comes to grounding the antenna hahaha. Watched some videos but still a lil confused on the placement

Jackal01

I have always flaked out extra cable under a floor mat or just leave slack in the entire run from the radio to antenna. Never had issues with getting a solid tune in my antennas.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom