CB Wiring

BaddestCross

That, and I remember reading somewhere that a CB needs 18' to work properly and if you need to add more, you have to add in 9' lengths or something crazy to tune the antenna properly.

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
18' for the 2 door... Depending on how you route it, there won't be much left over. Loosely coil the extra and you'll be fine.

That's incorrect. Coiling the coax cable is the second leading cause to a poor signal behind a bad ground. If the OP has extra cable left over, which he will with 18' in a 2-door, he should try to run the cable a different way (such as through the driver side roll bar padding).

Mikecal9985

That's incorrect. Coiling the coax cable is the second leading cause to a poor signal behind a bad ground. If the OP has extra cable left over, which he will with 18' in a 2-door, he should try to run the cable a different way (such as through the driver side roll bar padding).

Well I've ordered the 18' already so I guess I'll just have to figure out another way of routing it...you think I should have gone with the 9' instead? Or would that have been way to short routing it the way I showed in the pic above?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

chuck79

If it's good cable rg-6 for instance coiling it will not matter. It is shielded coax. I think the best thing you can do is buy a couple uhf connectors on eBay and watch a utube video on how to solder the connector. Then cut the cable to length plus a service loop. If you buy two you can call the first one a practice if it doesn't turn out well. They are cheep.

jeeeep

Hooked
I found my cb cable at a garage sale, 25'
put the excess in the tailgate no issues with sending or receiving.
my swr levels are low.
4' firestick...also from the same garage sale
If the cable is shielded just stick the excess somewhere out of the way

BaddestCross

Well, all I can say is that from my experience installing my CB in my 2 door, 18' got me from the tailgate to the glovebox running under the rollcage padding down into my glovebox and I only had about 1-2' left over. I run a 4' Firestik and my SWR is less than 2 across all channels. YMMV.

Mikecal9985

Well, all I can say is that from my experience installing my CB in my 2 door, 18' got me from the tailgate to the glovebox running under the rollcage padding down into my glovebox and I only had about 1-2' left over. I run a 4' Firestik and my SWR is less than 2 across all channels. YMMV.

That's what I needed to know!! What did you do with the left over 1-2'?

The Cock Father

I've seen a few posts about running it under the rollcage padding. Just out of curiosity, why? I ran mine under the carpet from the tailgate. Seemed like the easiest and most direct route...

Mikecal9985

I've seen a few posts about running it under the rollcage padding. Just out of curiosity, why? I ran mine under the carpet from the tailgate. Seemed like the easiest and most direct route...

Not sure why, the only reason I can think of is so it stays dry if you get some water in your Jeep or something along those lines. I don't know, just a thought

BaddestCross

TBH, it was what was recommended to me in several instances and I never considered any other way. If it's easy to run under the carpet, that would be shorter. Only thing I could think would be a problem is that you would then for sure have more left over from the 18' that may cause SWR issues when you have to bundle the excess.

BaddestCross

If you could that would be great!! Thanks man

When I said later, I didn't mean for it to be THIS later. Sorry... You probably don't need the photos anymore, but here you go:

20170506_155344.jpg
20170506_155400.jpg
20170506_155409.jpg
20170506_155447.jpg
20170506_155509.jpg
20170506_155546.jpg
20170506_155532.jpg

As you can see, there's barely any coax cable left in the glove box. The silver box you see zip tied to the bottom brace is the CB head unit.

Last edited:

Mikecal9985

When I said later, I didn't mean for it to be THIS later. Sorry... You probably don't need the photos anymore, but here you go:

View attachment 257367
View attachment 257368
View attachment 257369
View attachment 257370
View attachment 257371
View attachment 257372
View attachment 257373

As you can see, there's barely any coax cable left in the glove box. The silver box you see zip tied to the bottom brace is the CB head unit.

Awesome!!! Thanks man! I haven't started installing anything yet.

Top Bottom