Home Ownership sucks sometimes

jesse3638

Hooked
Damn that sucks. At that point if it was stripped down it'd be easier to fir it all out than use that much mud.[/]

I had a big bucket and didn't feel like it but in hindsight there was better ways. Patch is holding up I did thin coats with days between to keep it all dry so no cracks. But they don't build houses like they used to. That's for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Amen to that. I was a laborer during the housing boom in the early 2000's. I didn't know any better and looking back the guy I worked for was a hack and cut corners anyway he could.

JDDK

i fix leak issues like this everyday at work. it happens a lot. glad to hear you removed all wet materials. mold can be nasty...

PM me for custom quilts anytime

Wethy

Sounds like you know your stuff so I'll take your word for it. Didn't know there was water hammer arrestors in residential plumbing. ]

In a house built around that time, there probably isnt any water hammer arrestors but if the bathroom has been renovated, who knows. what i like to do when putting shower valves together is just outside the cartridge is to put a Tee facing up and then put a piece of copper about 12-15" long with a cap on it. It creates an air pocket that acts as an arrestor. But water can get trapped in lots of places unfortunately.

Andy5160

Hooked
Yeah man i know how it is. Deal with similar issue on daily basis in multifamily management.

It is over and lets hope it is fixed for the next 10-15 years.

JKbrick

In a house built around that time, there probably isnt any water hammer arrestors but if the bathroom has been renovated, who knows. what i like to do when putting shower valves together is just outside the cartridge is to put a Tee facing up and then put a piece of copper about 12-15" long with a cap on it. It creates an air pocket that acts as an arrestor. But water can get trapped in lots of places unfortunately.

In our area since pex took over the only hammer arrestors we have to use now are built into the ice maker box and on the laundry box hookups. Dishwashers don't seem to be an issue

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Been there, done that. It really sucks to have water in the house. I feel your pain bro. Hope you get it resolved without too much dent to the wallet. Last year we spent $15k fixing our roof. I can finally enjoy the rain again.

jeeeep

Hooked
I feel your pain...but good you got home before it got worse and as mentioned...it wasn't sewage

2 weeks before EJS I was getting my EJS wish list together - #1 on teh list was get a deal on a new rear axle. Well...I get home about a week before leaving and saw weird shadows under the eves, as I got closer I realized there were holes all over the place!!

Damn squirrels had gotten in my attic and chewed ventilation holes all over, #$^#$^#%$# rat bastards. Spent my axle budget and then some on getting the attic completely redone before I left, didn't want those bastard squirrels possibly chewing through the ceiling into the house while I was gone.

Had all the nests and old insulation (it was nasty with shit and all) removed, attic sterilized, new insulation blown in, all the holes repaired and all vents fitted with new heavier wire mesh to keep them out.

It never ends :doh:

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Been there, done that. It really sucks to have water in the house. I feel your pain bro. Hope you get it resolved without too much dent to the wallet. Last year we spent $15k fixing our roof. I can finally enjoy the rain again.

Haha, yea it sucks cringing every time it rains. We went through that a couple years ago. Won't hurt the wallet much. Except for the sheetrock, I already have everything here I need.

I feel your pain...but good you got home before it got worse and as mentioned...it wasn't sewage

2 weeks before EJS I was getting my EJS wish list together - #1 on teh list was get a deal on a new rear axle. Well...I get home about a week before leaving and saw weird shadows under the eves, as I got closer I realized there were holes all over the place!!

Damn squirrels had gotten in my attic and chewed ventilation holes all over, #$^#$^#%$# rat bastards. Spent my axle budget and then some on getting the attic completely redone before I left, didn't want those bastard squirrels possibly chewing through the ceiling into the house while I was gone.

Had all the nests and old insulation (it was nasty with shit and all) removed, attic sterilized, new insulation blown in, all the holes repaired and all vents fitted with new heavier wire mesh to keep them out.

It never ends :doh:

Holy shit that sucks man. Especially when you gotta blow axle money on it! We're you gone awhile or how long did it take them to chew through? That's crazy. Sorry to hear it.

jeeeep

Hooked
Haha, yea it sucks cringing every time it rains. We went through that a couple years ago. Won't hurt the wallet much. Except for the sheetrock, I already have everything here I need.

Holy shit that sucks man. Especially when you gotta blow axle money on it! We're you gone awhile or how long did it take them to chew through? That's crazy. Sorry to hear it.

I don't know how long they had been in the attic, from what the "expert" told me they had to have been in there at least 2 weeks and once they spread their pheromones around it attracted even more squirrels.

I was only away for a couple of days when they chewed. I'm glad I saw it before I left for EJS and not after - otherwise they would've had 11 days to really cause some destruction.

Top Bottom