Where to begin

Zach_in_Black

20170418_162339.jpg just got this 97 se with a 2.5 in it. I'm so used to driving a 6 cyl that this thing feels like a golf cart. (Don't get me wrong, I love it.) I want to start improving my jeep little by little. Where do you guys with experience think I should begin?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Congrats to you on your new to you TJ! If you're planning on wheeling it, I'd start by removing the bumper end caps and picking up a set of tow points for the front and rear. Those tube steps may look nice but you'll destroy them on the trail. I would recommend looking into real rocker protection. That alone will get you going and having fun and the budget you have beyond that will determine where you go from there.

ob_tj

Congrats to you on your new to you TJ! If you're planning on wheeling it, I'd start by removing the bumper end caps and picking up a set of tow points for the front and rear. Those tube steps may look nice but you'll destroy them on the trail. I would recommend looking into real rocker protection. That alone will get you going and having fun and the budget you have beyond that will determine where you go from there.

I have to agree with Eddie those tube steps will fold up like a Taco if you lay them on a rock. I know from experience... I would also invest in a slip yoke eliminator. IMG_0133.jpg

Zach_in_Black

Thanks! And do you have a link of some good replacement tow points for the end caps?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks! And do you have a link of some good replacement tow points for the end caps?

You just remove the end caps and leave them off. This will give you better approach and departure angles like a stubby bumper would provide. Tow points can be found just about anywhere like Amazon and the like and for cheap. They would get attached to the frame rails.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Welcome to WAL!

That's a good looking TJ. As mentioned above, I would remove those tubes and put some real rocker protection in. TJ Rubicon take-off rocker guards aren't the best but offer decent protection at a low cost. I would also take the plastic "milk jugs" off your bumper, along with tow points. Next, I would recommend a good, heavy duty engine skid; I run a Skidrow 4x4 engine skid and it has taken some pretty serious abuse, yet it is holding up great. After that, a decent set of tires and you'll be golden. I have done so much in my mostly-stock TJ. I'm always amazed at how capable Jeep Wrangler's are straight from the factory.

I look forward to seeing your build! :yup:

Top Bottom