Manual transmission fuzz

desertrunner

Just got done changing the oil on my 12 manual transmission and I know that fuzz on the magnet is normal but there were a few bigger pieces that have me questioning it a little. Just wanted to get some thoughts if I should be concerned at all? Most of the fuzz was what I am used to seeing but the few pieces that stuck around trying to clean it out are bigger than I'm used to seeing and looking at my oil catch pan there seemed to be a slight bit of glitteryness

20170420_152729.jpg

20170420_153030.jpg

20170420_160047.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Attachments

• 20170420_152555.jpg
    20170420_152555.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 105

desertrunner

Was the level low? Or gotten gear grind ? I know sometimes my foot is faster then my hand and I get a little grind and I'm always worried about chipping a gear

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Oil seemed to be full (hard to tell when it all comes rushing out and my 15 quart catch has more that just that in it) and the oil actually seemed really clean but i bought it used around 7k miles ago and it now has 47k on it so im guessing it was recently changed. Im sure i have been a little sloppy shifting from time to time but nothing drastically different from my 08 6 speed and i dont remember seeing pieces that big on that one. Im sure im just over reacting but i thought i would ask

Zstairlessone

I wouldn't be comfortable with the chunks, we used to joke about reading the part number on pieces that size. Remember, the magnet has some limitations. It only picks particles up that pass by it, it can only pick up so much before it is 'full', it doesn't pick up brass or aluminum and it can only pick up smaller particles.

WJCO

Meme King
That seems a little excessive but if you aren't having any abnormal symptoms, I would change the fluid and then do it again in 5k or 10k just to see if same amount of metal appears.

desertrunner

That seems a little excessive but if you aren't having any abnormal symptoms, I would change the fluid and then do it again in 5k or 10k just to see if same amount of metal appears.

That was my thought too, it doesnt feel abnormal at all seems to shift fine. I figured ill give it 5k miles drain it again and see what it looks like

srbell0585

Just changed mine recently. My magnet looked the same, maybe worse. But I had some bigger pieces I wasn't excited to see. Gonna do what WJCO said and drain again in 10k and see if there is more on the magnet. I too bought it used with 25k and wonder how it was driven the first 25k. Hopefully what damage is done and I won't keep getting bigger pieces. 20170414_140751.jpg 20170414_140729.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910T using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

Just changed mine recently. My magnet looked the same, maybe worse. But I had some bigger pieces I wasn't excited to see. Gonna do what WJCO said and drain again in 10k and see if there is more on the magnet. I too bought it used with 25k and wonder how it was driven the first 25k. Hopefully what damage is done and I won't keep getting bigger pieces. View attachment 254359 View attachment 254360

Sent from my SM-N910T using WAYALIFE mobile app

Dang yeah those pieces are about twice as big as the ones i had so sounds like i shouldn't be immediately alarmed but ill just keep an eye on it, change the oil again here in 5k and see what it looks like.

Top Bottom