2.5 lift kit

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've been hearing this about the Teraflex springs, how harsh they are compared to the EVO and Metalcloak springs. Why do you think they make them that much stiffer?

It's easier to make a coil hold more weight or give more lift by making it have higher spring rate. In other words, by making it firmer. The down side to soft coils is that they will sag when loaded up and can bow if they are too tall. Never heard Metalcloak being as soft as EVO but, everyone has their own opinion about how something feels.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

SilverBack775

So you know, MOST 2.5" coil lifts will yield well over 3" of lift. At that height, you will need to address things like your sway bar link if the kit you're looking at doesn't come with new ones and brake line extension brackets at least for the rear. Even if the kit comes with new rear links so that you can install your factory rear links up front, you need to be aware that the later can still be too short especially on a Rubicon. When disconnected and flexing, short links can hyper extend and fold over your tie-rod. Also, unless the shocks you're getting are short enough to help prevent your front drive shaft from making contact with your exhaust cross over, you will ruin the slip shaft boot. Of course, this is the least of your problems as your taller stance will put your front drive shaft in a steep enough angle to cause your CV boot at the output shaft to be in a constant state of pinch. Sooner than later, this will cause the boot to fail along with the bearings inside.

With all that said and assuming you're on a budget, I would recommend getting a 2.5" coil spacer lift as that will get you to the exact height you're wanting, address most of the problems listed above and can be had for cheap. Otherwise, I would recommend you look at more complete 2.5"-3" coil lift.

Thanks Eddie, I want coils.

f14framer

I've been hearing this about the Teraflex springs, how harsh they are compared to the EVO and Metalcloak springs. Why do you think they make them that much stiffer?

Teraflex uses a single rate spring and that may have something to do with it but I am not sure as I am by no means an expert or even a novice lol.

OneT

I am running the 2.5" JKS J-Spec lift that includes Fox 2.0 shocks valved specifically for those coils. Very happy with the lift. I have tweaked it a bit by adding Teraflex adjustable lower control arms in the front. I am also on 37" tires.

Lloydsmale

yup like others have said go into it with open eyes. I did the rubicon express 2.5 with bilsteen shocks. I also had to buy an exhaust spacer, front and rear adjustable track bars (unless your don't mind your tires not being centered). The rear track bar bracket included still didn't center the axle so its sitting on the shelf right now after I bought the rear adjustable bar. Brake line extensions, and after it was all installed my jeep was a bit nose high. Not a big deal but it bothered me s I bought 3/4 in spring spacers for the rear. So if you want to do it RIGHT look at those kits closely as to whats included because the cheapest might not end up being the least expensive in the long run.

SilverBack775

yup like others have said go into it with open eyes. I did the rubicon express 2.5 with bilsteen shocks. I also had to buy an exhaust spacer, front and rear adjustable track bars (unless your don't mind your tires not being centered). The rear track bar bracket included still didn't center the axle so its sitting on the shelf right now after I bought the rear adjustable bar. Brake line extensions, and after it was all installed my jeep was a bit nose high. Not a big deal but it bothered me s I bought 3/4 in spring spacers for the rear. So if you want to do it RIGHT look at those kits closely as to whats included because the cheapest might not end up being the least expensive in the long run.

I hear ya

Swindl

So you know, MOST 2.5" coil lifts will yield well over 3" of lift. At that height, you will need to address things like your sway bar link if the kit you're looking at doesn't come with new ones and brake line extension brackets at least for the rear. Even if the kit comes with new rear links so that you can install your factory rear links up front, you need to be aware that the later can still be too short especially on a Rubicon. When disconnected and flexing, short links can hyper extend and fold over your tie-rod. Also, unless the shocks you're getting are short enough to help prevent your front drive shaft from making contact with your exhaust cross over, you will ruin the slip shaft boot. Of course, this is the least of your problems as your taller stance will put your front drive shaft in a steep enough angle to cause your CV boot at the output shaft to be in a constant state of pinch. Sooner than later, this will cause the boot to fail along with the bearings inside.

With all that said and assuming you're on a budget, I would recommend getting a 2.5" coil spacer lift as that will get you to the exact height you're wanting, address most of the problems listed above and can be had for cheap. Otherwise, I would recommend you look at more complete 2.5"-3" coil lift.

Hey, first post but, can you provide links to what you're describing in your recommendation? I'll be 95% pavement, 5% off road so I want to buy something that gets me that more aggressive look, higher ride without the worry of having to add more modifications to avoid damage.

Thanks in advance!

Draconianwinter

Hey, first post but, can you provide links to what you're describing in your recommendation? I'll be 95% pavement, 5% off road so I want to buy something that gets me that more aggressive look, higher ride without the worry of having to add more modifications to avoid damage.

Thanks in advance!
Well first thing you will want to do is decide what size tires you will be running. As for the budget boost Eddie mentioned you can look them up on any site that sells lift kits. I run a 35 inch tire on my jkr so I went with a slightly modified evo leveling kit. Changed out the .75 inch rear spacer for a 1.75 inch spacer then cut my fenders. But most lift systems will be decided on what the tire size is you plan on running.

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Swindl

Well first thing you will want to do is decide what size tires you will be running. As for the budget boost Eddie mentioned you can look them up on any site that sells lift kits. I run a 35 inch tire on my jkr so I went with a slightly modified evo leveling kit. Changed out the .75 inch rear spacer for a 1.75 inch spacer then cut my fenders. But most lift systems will be decided on what the tire size is you plan on running.

Hey Man, looking to run 35s.

Is this what I would need? Anything else I would have to add?

https://www.quadratec.com/products/16190_0006_07.htm?gclid=CLOV7NW83NMCFd24wAodUAEKjw
Apologies for hacking this thread...

Draconianwinter

https://www.quadratec.com/products/16190_0006_07.htm?gclid=CLOV7NW83NMCFd24wAodUAEKjw
That would work. You will still need to cut your fenders unless you are running aftermarket fenders already. Personally though I would go with the Rancho 2 inch lift for the jku will have shocks and everything needed. You will stool be cutting your fenders but would get a better ride all around I think. Ass for terra flex from seeing so many bad reviews, not just on here, I wouldn't trust their products. It will work, but you will also want to replace the shocks you have.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

The budget boost you're looking at is something I have personally installed and run on my own Jeep and can tell you that it'll get the job done. As mentioned, you will still need to trim your fenders to clear 35's at a full flex.

That would work. You will still need to cut your fenders unless you are running aftermarket fenders already. Personally though I would go with the Rancho 2 inch lift for the jku will have shocks and everything needed. You will stool be cutting your fenders but would get a better ride all around I think. Ass for terra flex from seeing so many bad reviews, not just on here, I wouldn't trust their products. It will work, but you will also want to replace the shocks you have.

Totally agree with you about TeraFlex. That being said, it's really hard to screw up coil spacers and this may be the ONLY thing they sell that I could give a pass on. Granted, there are a lot of other companies like Rancho that do make great alternatives.

Draconianwinter

The budget boost you're looking at is something I have personally installed and run on my own Jeep and can tell you that it'll get the job done. As mentioned, you will still need to trim your fenders to clear 35's at a full flex.

Totally agree with you about TeraFlex. That being said, it's really hard to screw up coil spacers and this may be the ONLY thing they sell that I could give a pass on. Granted, there are a lot of other companies like Rancho that do make great alternatives.
This is very true.

Top Bottom