Who makes the best springs?

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
springs are first of all a metal bar drawn and coiled, treated in ovens......their mechanical qualities are first and above all dependant of the quality of the steel and the heat and cooling processes they have been through. Unless you have a good knowledge of metallurgy and the physics of the coils themselves you will have to trust the seat of your pants.......

Basically it's up to you and the feedback you might or not trust.:idontknow:

SilverBack775

Best bet is to do the entire 3' enforcer kit comes with everything you need except shocks and a front drive shaft (can use spacers). $1289.99 You shouldn't need to do the drag link flip at that height.
Read this thread http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?8667-Enforcers-Unite!&highlight=enforcers+unite

If $750 is your budget then wait and save to do right and once. As Eddie said, Rancho is really good too. If you like a stiff ride for cheap there's always Rubicon express. You can get the whole lift @3.5 with shocks for about what you have to spend. That was the first lift I had on mine but I did add the Rancho control arm drop brackets and it handled nice. You may find a new definition for stiff springs though.

Ok great thank you very much. Yeah all I'm looking for right now is entry level kit. Quadratec has a 2.5-3.5 lift with fox shocks. For around 700. I thought about that one as well. What's your take on Quadratec springs? And you say rubicon express is stiff?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

SilverBack775

If you're talking about "quality" in terms of how well they are made as opposed to how they "ride", most coils are gonna do what they're made to do. With the exception of coils made in China as is the case with Teraflex, lift kit manufacturers simply order up springs using the specs they are wanting. If you like a stiff ride, few come close to TeraFlex. Rock Krawler is definitely a good option as well but most of their spring setups leave you with an ass low stance.

Pretty much EVERY 2.5" lift coil out there I have personally installed and tested has yielded 3"+ of lift and same goes for 3.5" as they have yielded 4"+ of lift. If you like a stiff ride, I don't think EVO is what you want.

Another good option would be Rancho. They are on the softer side but I think a bit more firm than EVO and not only are they affordable, they are also made in the USA.

Thanks again, it doesn't have to be stiff. As long as it's better then the stock ones then I'm good.

SilverBack775

If you're talking about "quality" in terms of how well they are made as opposed to how they "ride", most coils are gonna do what they're made to do. With the exception of coils made in China as is the case with Teraflex, lift kit manufacturers simply order up springs using the specs they are wanting. If you like a stiff ride, few come close to TeraFlex. Rock Krawler is definitely a good option as well but most of their spring setups leave you with an ass low stance.

Pretty much EVERY 2.5" lift coil out there I have personally installed and tested has yielded 3"+ of lift and same goes for 3.5" as they have yielded 4"+ of lift. If you like a stiff ride, I don't think EVO is what you want.

Another good option would be Rancho. They are on the softer side but I think a bit more firm than EVO and not only are they affordable, they are also made in the USA.

Aww yes thank you! That's what I was asking, the quality of the spring itself. So I'll stay away from teraflex

SilverBack775

springs are first of all a metal bar drawn and coiled, treated in ovens......their mechanical qualities are first and above all dependant of the quality of the steel and the heat and cooling processes they have been through. Unless you have a good knowledge of metallurgy and the physics of the coils themselves you will have to trust the seat of your pants.......

Basically it's up to you and the feedback you might or not trust.:idontknow:

Yeah that's kinda what I'm asking, Eddie said teraflex springs are made in China. So I'll stay away from those

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Ok great thank you very much. Yeah all I'm looking for right now is entry level kit. Quadratec has a 2.5-3.5 lift with fox shocks. For around 700. I thought about that one as well. What's your take on Quadratec springs? And you say rubicon express is stiff?

No experience with Quadratec springs but they do claim to be made in the USA. Seems like a good deal for the money with the Fox shocks. Should be better than stock. I do know the Rubicon Express eliminated the body roll during cornering, that is a benefit to stiffer springs but comes at the cost of ride. My only real problem was the feeling of spinal compression on large bumps and speed bumps. You almost couldn't go over them slow enough. Still have 4.5 RE springs (RE claims to be made in the USA as well) but may swap them for EVO's 4" plush (with a 1/4 to 1/2 inch spacer if it sits much lower). Right now I have the king shocks and it rides way better than it did on 3.5 springs and RE shocks. The front end feels pretty good but the back still hits kind of hard going slow over speed bumps, it would probably be fine if I had a hard top because if I have 2 passengers in the back seat, it doesn't seem to be a problem.

zimm

Caught the Bug
From someone who's basically bought an entire lift kit twice over, I would go with the 3" enforcer and call it a day.

Here's the rock krawler 2.5's. They rode good on the highway, but look how many coils are in a bind at rest. Plus I had to run 1" rear spacers just to try and keep level. Now on some other forums I'm seeing they just "re-did" their springs, and jeepers are complaining that the rear is 2" higher than the back!? It seems they don't have their spring rates/lengths ironed out.

32814756520_df5f0c7fcd_k.jpg

Here's the EVO 3" spring, it sits much straighter and has more coils

32352542594_ca57e22a23_z.jpg

zimm

Caught the Bug
Here's a shot of rock krawler 2.5 with 1" rear spacers on level ground.

31898049701_c452ecd418_k.jpg

Here's how she sits now with the 3" evo springs. Granted the soft top makes a smidge of weight difference, but the EVO springs were taller.

33517446515_f9efc3ee04_k.jpg

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
From someone who's basically bought an entire lift kit twice over, I would go with the 3" enforcer and call it a day.

Here's the rock krawler 2.5's. They rode good on the highway, but look how many coils are in a bind at rest. Plus I had to run 1" rear spacers just to try and keep level. Now on some other forums I'm seeing they just "re-did" their springs, and jeepers are complaining that the rear is 2" higher than the back!? It seems they don't have their spring rates/lengths ironed out.

32814756520_df5f0c7fcd_k.jpg

Here's the EVO 3" spring, it sits much straighter and has more coils

32352542594_ca57e22a23_z.jpg

^^^This^^^
Seriously, read the thread I linked about the EVO kits and you'll see it's worth waiting for. That's a bunch of happy customers in there.

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
I should add a footnote to something I said earlier. I said with a 3 inch you shouldn't need a draglink flip. This is not entirely true. I didn't need one at 3.5 but did when I bumped up to a 4.5. When I was on the lower lift I didn't do any trails that were remotely difficult because I was still running a Dana 30 with 37's. From what I understand, it can vary from Jeep to Jeep at the 3 inch height and you will probably notice some improvement in steering and handling regardless. I suppose my advice at this point would be to get it at the same time as the rest of the lift, or put in the lift and see if you need it for your style of driving and more importantly, how your Jeep feels on and off road. Like I said, I didn't need it at first but there are too many variables to just outright claim you don't need one. I suppose that's why I said you "shouldn't" need one originally, but that's a vague statement and I don't want to accidentally mislead anyone.

seansheds

Isn't it better to have some coils compressed at rest so at full flex the spring stays seated and still provides some down pressure to the tire? If at rest there's equal space between each coil then at full flex it's more likely to reach max length and come unseated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BaddestCross

Isn't it better to have some coils compressed at rest so at full flex the spring stays seated and still provides some down pressure to the tire? If at rest there's equal space between each coil then at full flex it's more likely to reach max length and come unseated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coils that are the proper length along with the rest of your suspension parts properly sized shouldn't come unseated in the first place.

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
Correct. My evo coils stay seated at full extension, but I have lower spring retainers anyways since they came with the rock krawler kit.

Top Bottom