Modified Carrich's iPad mini mount install - powered and cooled

GraniteCrystal

Shit - Carrichs coupon expired on 3/31. I just ordered all the pieces. I was looking at Brutes' Alpine system with envy. Its a great system but man, $3500 is a tough nut.

Thanks again for the great write-up! It convinced me to do this.

Edit: Found this on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Tadibrothers...sr=8-8&keywords=iphone+backup+camera+wireless

This would be perfect for guys with EVO carriers. Can also be expanded with a front facing camera.
Yep, something like this definitely coming at some point. No wires for backup camera would be awesome.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hope you don't mind but a great write-up like this is completely lost to everyone on the forum UNLESS they are following your thread. Needless to say, now that people have moved on, I have moved the post along with all the responses into a thread all its own so that others can more easily find and benefit from your hard work :yup:

Blackhawkip

Great write-up. I'd love to do this mod to my JK. Has anyone used an app that is equal to a Garmin GPS with topo maps etc? I like my Garmin but that screen is too small to be worth anything in a car. It'd be great to have an iPad mini with topo or 1:50K maps to run Forest Service or logging trails.

GraniteCrystal

Great write-up. I'd love to do this mod to my JK. Has anyone used an app that is equal to a Garmin GPS with topo maps etc? I like my Garmin but that screen is too small to be worth anything in a car. It'd be great to have an iPad mini with topo or 1:50K maps to run Forest Service or logging trails.
I do this with Gaia. Topo, satellite, etc. Maps can be downloaded for offline use. Can map tracks beforehand, import to Gaia, and follow along the path. Makes it pretty darn difficult to get lost.

Used it just on Thursday for the Foster Kids run. Kids in backseat loved watching us move and following along.

IMG_20170611_164519.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
This is one of the coolest and useful mods I've done to my Jeep. I'm still playing around figuring how to use the maps portion. Using Pandora and Amazon music is the bomb and I love having this size display.

I did a couple things differently that someone may want to look into. Since I don't have power mirrors I had a power outlet where the mirror adjuster goes and a stupid worthless hook on the other side of the panel. I bought two USB outlets and ditched the hook. I found an aux power outlet harness on Quadratec that allowed me to relocate the power outlet to the passenger footwell. Its really handy having the extra USB outlet as well as the power outlet just in case.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

I also used a KC bar clamp to mount my GPS antenna and left it just a tiny bit loose so I could rotate it down to see the functions.

0530171902_resized.jpg

Attachments

• 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 60

WJCO

Meme King
My Gaia app hasn't been tracking lately so I haven't done this yet. Anyone else experienced that?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

As in not leaving the track line as you move? Just had that happen this weekend. The only thing we could figure out is to delete the old track from days prior. I think it was settings, then 'saved' near the bottom, then next to the old track at top of screen there is a down arrow. Click that and then click delete.

Then while still in settings, go to 'trip' at bottom and record a new track. We couldn't figure out any other way to get it to work again.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
As in not leaving the track line as you move? Just had that happen this weekend. The only thing we could figure out is to delete the old track from days prior. I think it was settings, then 'saved' near the bottom, then next to the old track at top of screen there is a down arrow. Click that and then click delete.

Then while still in settings, go to 'trip' at bottom and record a new track. We couldn't figure out any other way to get it to work again.

It won't even show current location. I have to force quit the app then reopen it and it will show location but the track will be messed up. I have it on my phone as well so it's not the end of the world, I just enjoy the iPad with it mounted to the dash.

GraniteCrystal

It won't even show current location. I have to force quit the app then reopen it and it will show location but the track will be messed up. I have it on my phone as well so it's not the end of the world, I just enjoy the iPad with it mounted to the dash.

They released a new iOS app that's subscription based. If you have the old one, you get the first two years free since you already paid for that. Maybe you need to switch to the new app?

Top Bottom