NEW EVO Sport Cage for Rubicat - TONS OF PHOTOS

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What mods did you have to make to the trektop door surrounds if any? I have the RH cage in mine and after seeing how much better the visibility is I'm really considering it.

The front door surrounds do require that you clearance them a bit where bolts go through the factory roll bar. It isn't much and was easy to do. Over all, the EVO cage has a MUCH better fit with a Trektop because it doesn't have big clamps.

This is one tough looking build! Love the color combo and the new sport cage looks great. How do you like the grab handles on it versus the RH placement?

Honestly, we like them a lot as they're completely out of our vision and because of their orientation, they make it a bit easier to hoist yourself up into the Jeep.

Other than the grab handles it the Evo cages doesn't appear to give you significantly better visibility.

As I have noted, it is impossible to get a lens of a camera to show what your eye actually see when you're sitting in our Jeep. Of course, I can only go off of what I see and of course, what Cindy sees and according to her, it's a significant improvement.

The biggest question that has not been addressed is how the Evo cage will hold up in an accident. The Rock Hard has been proven time and again. It would be nice to see if Evo has done any computer modeling or actual crash testing.

Actually, EVO has done such modeling and we were quite interested in seeing what they showed. Granted, there's a lot to be said about real world testing and like you, I've personally seen Rock Hard cages prove themselves. It is a big part of why we've run them in the past and still run one in Moby. With any luck, we'll never have to test our new EVO cage.

SDG

Caught the Bug
The front door surrounds do require that you clearance them a bit where bolts go through the factory roll bar. It isn't much and was easy to do. Over all, the EVO cage has a MUCH better fit with a Trektop because it doesn't have big clamps.

I would also add, (at least as far as I can tell, have not swapped to the softop yet and inspected) the evo cage does not require any clearance cuts in the freedom panels.

Sent from my SM-G900P using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would also add, (at least as far as I can tell, have not swapped to the softop yet and inspected) the evo cage does not require any clearance cuts in the freedom panels.

Sent from my SM-G900P using WAYALIFE mobile app

This is correct. Mel runs this cage on Spicy Chicken and runs a hard top. No modifications were needed.

RSQCON

Actually, EVO has done such modeling and we were quite interested in seeing what they showed...
It would be nice for them to put out that information. I know Mel makes some great products but when it comes to safety I'd like to see more than just relying on their name.

As many others mentioned thank you for the detail pictures.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It would be nice for them to put out that information. I know Mel makes some great products but when it comes to safety I'd like to see more than just relying on their name.

As many others mentioned thank you for the detail pictures.

Maybe they will. If not, you should just buy a Rock Hard cage. Although they've never put out any info, you've apparently seen how they've held up.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
I realize this may not impact you as much, but since this was a significant cut into the factory sound bar, how much difference in sound can you notice now?

20170423170415-f0cc4143.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I realize this may not impact you as much, but since this was a significant cut into the factory sound bar, how much difference in sound can you notice now?

I have not noticed a depreciation in sound but it should be noted, we had one of the few older cages installed. The design of the cage has since been changed and cutting of the sound bar will no longer be required.

JAGS

Hooked
How did the door frame hold up since you were working with existing RH holes?

Does the EVO cage also have spacers for the side supports or no issues with the door closing and clearing the new bolts. Maybe with the half doors, this is less of a problem?

tgoss

Awesome write up and photos as always! I really want to add those grab handles now but I guess I'm unsure if I can install them on with the a-pillar braces still installed. I don't want to take those out again for any reason lol.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How did the door frame hold up since you were working with existing RH holes?

Does the EVO cage also have spacers for the side supports or no issues with the door closing and clearing the new bolts. Maybe with the half doors, this is less of a problem?

No issues with the door frame. No spacers were needed and no problems with the doors closing but as you've noted, we have half doors. I can check to see if there are any problems with our full doors when I get back.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome write up and photos as always! I really want to add those grab handles now but I guess I'm unsure if I can install them on with the a-pillar braces still installed. I don't want to take those out again for any reason lol.

You can install the handles with the a-pillar supports installed. You will need to do some drilling though and that can be a bit tough being they're made of chromoly. Newer cages that are sold will have the holes pre-drilled.

Flat Top

Thanks for all the pictures, I will hopefully be installing the EVO cage early this summer.

This the full cage option with the B&C pillars, correct?

Top Bottom