Do 40" Tires = Weekend Trail Jeep Only?

LO_Rex

I am in the process of finalizing my build list and have started considering 40" tires. My original plan was to go with 37" tires but with my decision to go with the PR60/Pro60 combo I am starting to wonder if I should go straight to 40s. It would seem that many of the items needed to go with 37's properly would be the same as 40's. The one thing that I am unsure of is if 40's will bump my jeep into a weekend warrior only class? I have other cars but I do want to be able to use the jeep for some daily driving chores.

What am I missing in my list and how much extra cutting is involved to fit 40" tires properly?

Note: once the items in red are acquired the coilovers and tires will be installed.

JK.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I run 40's on Moby and use him as a daily driver. I also drive him everywhere I wheel and have even driven him clear across the county, wheeled him there and drove him back. Do it right and you won't even notice you're on 40's.

GraniteCrystal

I wouldn't want to drive 37s on 5.38 gears. Glad your thinking thru it now and deciding.

Also, I'm not on 40s but why would it make it not able to do some chores in? Your gas mileage will go down but that sucks on a Jeep anyway.

LO_Rex

I wouldn't want to drive 37s on 5.38 gears. Glad your thinking thru it now and deciding.

Also, I'm not on 40s but why would it make it not able to do some chores in? Your gas mileage will go down but that sucks on a Jeep anyway.
The gear decision is what has got me thinking about going with 40s. I want to get it right the first time.

Sent from my SM-G930P using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

If you're not running a ram assist, they can be extremely difficult to maneuver into a tight parking spot. Also, if you're running a 60 without PRO 1550 knuckles, they can have the turning radius of a full size truck.

LO_Rex

I run 40's on Moby and use him as a daily driver. I also drive him everywhere I wheel and have even driven him clear across the county, wheeled him there and drove him back. Do it right and you won't even notice you're on 40's.
Thanks for the encouragement. Do you see anything that I am over looking to " Do it right"?

LO_Rex

If you're not running a ram assist, they can be extremely difficult to maneuver into a tight parking spot. Also, if you're running a 60 without PRO 1550 knuckles, they can have the turning radius of a full size truck.
The plan is to run the PSC ram assist. Can you run Pro 1550 with a PR60 and Chamber Pro wheels? I saw your thread where you had to go with TRs due to back spacing.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the encouragement. Do you see anything that I am over looking to " Do it right"?

You're build looks solid. If you had the budget for it, the only things I would change is getting a DTD and running XD60's with PRO 1550 knuckles. But, they're far from required to do it right.

Are those available for purchase already?

They've been available for a while now. The 72.5" wide XD60 is the only thing that's new.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The plan is to run the PSC ram assist. Can you run Pro 1550 with a PR60 and Chamber Pro wheels? I saw your thread where you had to go with TRs due to back spacing.

No. The PRO 1550 is specifically made for the XD60. If you were to get an XD60 with PRO 1550 knuckles, you could run Chamber Pro II's just fine. I just chose to run Trail Ready's to maximize the amount of back spacing I could run.

LO_Rex

No. The PRO 1550 is specifically made for the XD60. If you were to get an XD60 with PRO 1550 knuckles, you could run Chamber Pro II's just fine. I just chose to run Trail Ready's to maximize the amount of back spacing I could run.
Well I guess I will have to live with the poor turining radius since XD60 is out of my budget.[emoji1]

2011jk

I would never run 37" after having 40" trail or street...

The PRO 1550 knuckles upgrade...I didn't go with this option as I wanted the upgraded brakes which are not available with the knuckles.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would never run 37" after having 40" trail or street...

The PRO 1550 knuckles upgrade...I didn't go with this option as I wanted the upgraded brakes which are not available with the knuckles.

LOL! I don't know about that. While I love my 40s on Moby, the 37s on Rubicat aren't terrible and she can hold her own. :yup:

As far as the PRO 1550s go, I don't know what brakes you were wanting but I'm pretty damn happy with what I got. Way bigger and better that stock. :)

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeffj

Caught the Bug
I'm running 40's on my new to me jeep with a pro rock 60 and psc ram and absolutely love how it handles on the road. It is done right and it makes me want to push the speed all the time. This weekend will be my first wheeling trip so Ill let you know on that.

Mizippi

I am in the bucket of "to each their own" for sure!!!

That said, if your Jeep can turn 40s like yours will be able to I am 110% in the 40s bucket. (I am upgrading to 40s very soon!!).

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

woof359

diff ratios

are Moby and Rubi running the same gear ratio ? what kind of RPMs are they turning on the hiway @ 65 ?

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
I am in the process of finalizing my build list and have started considering 40" tires. My original plan was to go with 37" tires but with my decision to go with the PR60/Pro60 combo I am starting to wonder if I should go straight to 40s. It would seem that many of the items needed to go with 37's properly would be the same as 40's. The one thing that I am unsure of is if 40's will bump my jeep into a weekend warrior only class? I have other cars but I do want to be able to use the jeep for some daily driving chores.

What am I missing in my list and how much extra cutting is involved to fit 40" tires properly?

Note: once the items in red are acquired the coilovers and tires will be installed.

View attachment 255243
I don't have the experience running 40's on a Jeep yet... I have been running 40x15.50r20's on my '04 Ram 1500 for almost three years now and have not regretted it a bit. Everybody kept telling me you can't use that as a daily driver with the lift and everything I have done to it but I have done it. It's my daily driver and my weekend toy and I wouldn't change it a bit! Like Eddie said, if you're going to do it...do it the way you want the first time so you don't have to do it twice. I was going to go with 37's or 38's and came across a deal on my 40's 3 years ago, and I'm glad I did it!

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
One thing I will say in addition is look at the price difference between the 17's vs 20's. There is considerable difference. Or at least this is what I have found.

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom