Color matched paint

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Let's say I wanted to paint the engine cover on my 14 Jk to match the jeep would the normal color match paint from a spray can stick to the cover or would I need a different type of paint?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Does the plastic snap on cover get that hot? I know the engine compartment gets pretty warm but I wouldn't think that piece would get that hot.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

GraniteCrystal

I've seen people do it. Personally, I think there's better use of time and resources, but if you like it, go for it. High temp paint probably not a bad idea but if the plastic were really getting that hot, it'd melt.

MTG

Caught the Bug
You intend to paint the plastic engine cover on the interior of the engine bay? :thinking: :naw:

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
Would need a high temp paint. Plus, I would be worried about the rattle can paint cracking or flaking during any future cover removal (the cover is pretty flexible). Like others have said, your time and money would be better spent elsewhere (just an opinion).

zimm

Caught the Bug
I was going to recommend Krylon fusion, which is made for plastic, but according to their specs, they say it's only good to 125 degrees, and would fail in "under hood conditions". I guess you could try automotive primer, then spray on touch up, followed by clear. I'd skip any kind of hardener if you're mixing your own paint to spray.

Top Bottom