Hi Lift Jack

SunWolf

Oh yeah - no thanks. As I had said in the J-Bolt thread, I still own 3 Hi-Lifts but never carry one with me on the trail. The only time I ever see people use them is to incorrectly and dangerously use them to change a tire and a bottle jack can do it faster, better and safer.

Very good to know this. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Brute

Hooked
I've used mine three times in 37 years of wheeling, so as others have noted, not a high use item. I also carry a 5 ton bottle jack, but on at least one occasion, the bottle jack would not have worked. One of the taller jeeps on a run in Moab bent a drag link going over the Crack (not running a drag link flip), so we removed the drag link, stuck it in the rear bumper receiver on my jeep, clamped the drag link to the high lift jack, braced the jack against a spare tire and used the winch on another jeep sitting at a right angle to my jeep to straighten the drag link. The high lift jack was used to keep the drag link from rotating when pressure was applied with the winch. We noodled that fix for a while before we came up with a method to straighten the drag link. We even tried to drive over it with another jeep, but no love. Didn't help that it was almost midnight and we had been on the trail since 7 AM.

It's cheap enough that it's worth keeping affixed to my tire carrier, but as noted by others, buy a GOOD winch first, then a lot of other stuff before you get to the jack. I've had the same high lift since I was 21, and I got it for free, so they don't wear out. I think mine is over 50 years old and still working just fine.

Oh yeah - no thanks. As I had said in the J-Bolt thread, I still own 3 Hi-Lifts but never carry one with me on the trail. The only time I ever see people use them is to incorrectly and dangerously use them to change a tire and a bottle jack can do it faster, better and safer.

These are very valid points...the only time I saw a legit use was to help in a high centered situation that simply taking a strap or winching off was going to result in damage to the rig...they can be very unstable, and if you forget to put the handle in the up position while in use, it can result in a concussion or broken jaw...

WJCO

Meme King
These are very valid points...the only time I saw a legit use was to help in a high centered situation that simply taking a strap or winching off was going to result in damage to the rig...they can be very unstable, and if you forget to put the handle in the up position while in use, it can result in a concussion or broken jaw...

I think we all need a King Racing jack. ;)

3dpilot

Hey Chief, maybe you'd like to donate one my way, it'll make my tire carrier look more "offroady" lol

Sent from my SM-G920P using WAYALIFE mobile app

J'Sun

I've been tossing around the same thought myself. Jack or Bottle...I believe I'll go with the bottle unless I'm on the trails. Who knows, it may save me in a pinch. Thanks guys!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using WAYALIFE mobile app

RUBEERCON

I used mine to get my open diff Tundra off a big rock wedged the shock mount. Jacked up truck in a steep loose gravel ravined hill and stacked some rocks under the tire, lowered it and I drove away. The entire time I was terrified of the jack and the situation I was in. It worked but a winch would have been so much safer.

Also changed a flat with jack fully extended on my jeep and some good guys chimed in from Wayalife and told me to strap my axle to the frame next time so I wouldn't have to lift it so high.

Anyway got a winch on the Jeep and I need to grab a strap and small jack for the future. My High lift can go back in the shed after that.

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Reading thru the thread, I'd forgotten about bumper jacks. Only saving grace was you didn't have to get on the ground to use. Never liked using them though. Had to jack the car to Heaven before the wheel came up even in good conditions. Just made the decision for me.

Kenthejeepguy

I have a problem with my highlift Jack, and that is that it does not like to go down. I have had two Smittybilt and one HiLift brand, and they all do the same thing. I try to keep them lubed up, but the device that allows it to go down gets sticky after a while and I have to pull it out with pliers with every stroke. Anybody have an idea on how to fix this?

Stotch

Caught the Bug
I have a problem with my highlift Jack, and that is that it does not like to go down. I have had two Smittybilt and one HiLift brand, and they all do the same thing. I try to keep them lubed up, but the device that allows it to go down gets sticky after a while and I have to pull it out with pliers with every stroke. Anybody have an idea on how to fix this?

Lube it more and/or keep it indoors? Never had this problem with mine.

Ddays

Hooked
Yeah, probably. I'll try diff lube product. It's externally mounted on the rear all the time. Maybe I'll look for a cover for it.

Better yet, ditch that hi-lift and get a $40 20 ton bottle jack from HF & be much more safer. Might not look as cool but it won;t bust your chops either. Keep it in a bag in the back of the Jeep and it'll stay nice & clean! :thumb:

bottle jack.jpg

Top Bottom