Bolt J-Mount

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yup, a good bottle jack is what I carry with me and have used to change out a 40. Again, the nice thing about using a bottle jack is that you lift from the axle and the base of the differential or bottom of a control arm joint are great, steady and low points to work off of.

SDG

Caught the Bug
Yup, a good bottle jack is what I carry with me and have used to change out a 40. Again, the nice thing about using a bottle jack is that you lift from the axle and the base of the differential or bottom of a control arm joint are great, steady and low points to work off of.

You don't use the winch to a tree trunk with a snatch block to a snatch block on a limb then down to the roll cage? Seems easier [emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12]

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You don't use the winch to a tree trunk with a snatch block to a snatch block on a limb then down to the roll cage? Seems easier [emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12]

:doh: Well shit, why am I always the last to know about these great idea :rolleyes2: :crazyeyes: :cheesy: :D

JeepinDingo

Don't have a hi-lift yet, but I think the best place for them to go is on the roll cage in the back. It's out of the elements and all locked up in the jeep. And it also takes up zero storage space. (Stole pic off google)
View attachment 255725

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
I was torn, I really wanted this mount for the same reasons. But in the future I'd like to get a fastback style soft top, and this wouldn't fit under it. Plus it's a bit more time consuming to get in and out when you need it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

JeepinDingo

That thing would not last 10 minutes on anything more than a dirt road which you posted pictures of. I've already damaged my body from the mirror, last thing I want to do is add more shit to the side to hit.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Like I said, lots of negativity from people that haven't used it. My first trio on the trail was doing some pretty decent rock crawling and it did great. And I even made 2 other believers on that trip. If you're hitting large trees and stuff that close to your body, it's bound to get damaged regardless.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Like I said, lots of negativity from people that haven't used it.

Just because you don't like hearing what other people have to say doesn't mean there's any "negativity" going on. :naw:

My first trio on the trail was doing some pretty decent rock crawling and it did great. And I even made 2 other believers on that trip.

:cheesy: You make the product sound like some kind of religion.

If you're hitting large trees and stuff that close to your body, it's bound to get damaged regardless.

One of the biggest benefits of being able to remove the doors on a Jeep is that you can run trails without them. Add in a set of rocker guards that extend from the body and you'd be surprised at how much you can AVOID potential damage. But hey, I'm just a mall crawler. :yup:

Draconianwinter

Like I said, lots of negativity from people that haven't used it. My first trio on the trail was doing some pretty decent rock crawling and it did great. And I even made 2 other believers on that trip. If you're hitting large trees and stuff that close to your body, it's bound to get damaged regardless.

There is a difference between a dent that could likely be fixed versus a body panel that is ripped apart. Allot of people don't like those jacks because they are very dangerous to use. It's not line high lift invented them either. They have been around longer than anyone here. What I don't like is the mounting position. Your best place to mount that Jack is going to be the inside of your jeep. Second place would either be the front bumper, hood, or the tailgate area. There are places I wheel that are not even that difficult, hell you can wheel a stock jeep, but you add jack standing up like that on the side and I can promise you will spend as much time removing and replacing it as you will wheeling. That's if you didn't already catch it on a tree and rip it completely off.

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
A Hi-Lift jack is the WRONG tool to use to change a tire and I would NOT recommend using one...Even with a leaf sprung rig, you still have to lift it dangerously high in order to get the tire off the ground to change it...

The need to completely unload the axles before actual effectiveness takes place, is a challenge. Can be overcome...though the solution can have its own drawbacks.

Last year we were wheeling in western Kentucky's hill country. One chap had tried to straddle a fallen tree and got stuck. Picture a JK, pointed downhill, about 20 deg decline, straddling a telephone pole diagonally. Wet and slimy, he couldn't get his left-front tire over the pole.

By the time my brother and I walked up, the guides had been working with a hi-lift making repeated attempts to lift the jeep high enough to get some rocks under the wheel. Couldn't, because the the suspension kept unloading, leaving the tire on the ground. It really concerned me how they were lifting this thing to the jack's limit, with the jack reaching ~15 deg relative to ground, using a rounded rock to keep it sinking into the muck. I was just waiting for it to spit out the bottom with a fair amount of force.

Karl and I sort of eased in and got things moving. A lot of wheeling is application of common sense and leveraging what you have available. I asked if anyone had a ratcheting tie-down. Hooking to the upper spring perch, under the axle, and back up, was able to finally lift the jeep--and axle--to get some rocks under it. Otherwise, I think we'd still be there jacking the guys jeep up and down. pun intended.

Its the one thing that convinced me, if I get a hi-lift jack, always have a tie-down or two with me. As a motorcyclist, i've got a few anyway<g>.

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
i had it on for 3 months now and been to rock crawling and mud, still in tip top shape, no problems and easy access

One of the things I enjoy guessing at, is where someone's Jeep is most-often used. If you're open desert, no trees or overhangs around, a pillar-mount location is just fine it would seem. Nothing to snag on. In tree country, where I spend my time so far, I'm looking for nothing to snag on a tree, wheels that don't protrude any further than necessary, and so on. Big rocks? Longer axles, bigger tires, yaddi yaddi.

My typical outings have me saying Hi to every tree in the park it seems<g>.

This is part of why, when I change fenders, I'll stay with something flexible. Out west, Metal Cloak fenders appear to be very popular. I like their looks. Back in tree country, an inch can frequently make all the difference: I've seen 3 jeeps with them, at just one event this year, that had front quarters' sheet metal tweaked. Fenders had just a light graze on them. But they didn't give, so the sheet metal had to.

Just fun to watch how people's rigs vary based on where/how they wheel.

Last edited:
Top Bottom