DIY JK Trunk deck and security enclosure

JAGS

Hooked
I think I actually have all this stuff in my shed. I just have 1/2" plywood so I may build a frame for it to sit on. Maybe I'll give it a go in the coming weekends. Baseball and gymnastics take a lot of time now..haha

Ha ha I hear ya. That's why it took me close to a month, but three actual days. Kids' activities are out of control.

One thing I contemplated about was just a U frame of sorts. But then I lost a lot of storage capacity for longer items like chairs and such. I needed/wanted the full width of the trunk space. So I came up with the support legs idea and structurally using the mid section tie down bolts.

Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
Nice write up. I may do this but make it taller. Is the reason why you made it the height you did was to fit the Arb fridge in there?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

You could make it taller. One reason for this height was the fridge. The other reason is if you go too high, you may lose the ability to secure larger stuff on top and maybe not tall enough to shove a cooler underneath.

Taller, and you may want to re-think the supports as well as the cut of the top as you'd then have the wheel well space to deal with. And the supports may be less stable if taller, at least the way I did "posts/legs" for support.

I batted around many ideas/heights and had come up with ways to build most of them. This was simply the best solution for my needs. [emoji106]

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
You could make it taller. One reason for this height was the fridge. The other reason is if you go too high, you may lose the ability to secure larger stuff on top and maybe not tall enough to shove a cooler underneath.

Taller, and you may want to re-think the supports as well as the cut of the top as you'd then have the wheel well space to deal with. And the supports may be less stable if taller, at least the way I did "posts/legs" for support.

I batted around many ideas/heights and had come up with ways to build most of them. This was simply the best solution for my needs. [emoji106]

Probably wouldn't go too much taller. But would have to, to clear the smitty tool bags in the tail gate.

JAGS

Hooked
Probably wouldn't go too much taller. But would have to, to clear the smitty tool bags in the tail gate.

If you go to the top of the tailgate, that's roughly 17-18 inches. You'll be building essentially a security deck similar to those out on the market like tuffy.

It can certainly be done as I almost went that direction. You'd have to change quite a few things I did.

holliewood61

Looks good man, i did something very similar for my cj. Luckily with the way the wheel tubs are made i could set mine on top the the wheel tubs and nut & bolt it down without having to make legs. I also added 4 d-ring style tie downs in order to ratchet strap the spare down.

Sent from my LGLS991 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JAGS

Hooked
Well done, looked like a fun project.

Hey Mike, thanks! It was a fun project.

sweet project! great job jags! i have a lot of extra wood that i think i may build this soon thanks for sharing! :)

Go for it. [emoji106]

Looks good man, i did something very similar for my cj. Luckily with the way the wheel tubs are made i could set mine on top the the wheel tubs and nut & bolt it down without having to make legs. I also added 4 d-ring style tie downs in order to ratchet strap the spare down.

Sent from my LGLS991 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Cool. No such luck on the JK. And if mine was much taller, I would have had issues stacking the fridge. I do plan to add some tie downs or hooks for my cargo netting.

JAGS

Hooked
Used the trunk deck all weekend for the new year run. Worked out great. Certainly packed in pretty tight and this was without camping gear.

IMG_4112.jpg

Top Bottom