On board air JKU

Most of the time it's a small air compressor and sometimes a tank to hold the air. People use them to either air up tires after they've hit the trails as well as for air lockers. Most people that I've seen, use ARB and you'll occasionally see some Viar compressors

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
It's a compressor, an air pump. It moves air. ARB makes good ones. May want to check out some YouTube videos.

BaddestCross

I can't complain. Yeah, the twin is faster, but when I bought it, I couldn't justify another $200 for the twin to save a couple of minutes when I needed to spend money on other needed mods.

I think I bought a package deal that came with the hose, gauge, and other stuff... Don't remember what I paid right off, but I don't see why piecing together a setup from Lowe's or even HF would be a problem.

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Randy Tadevich

I can't complain. Yeah, the twin is faster, but when I bought it, I couldn't justify another $200 for the twin to save a couple of minutes when I needed to spend money on other needed mods.

I think I bought a package deal that came with the hose, gauge, and other stuff... Don't remember what I paid right off, but I don't see why piecing together a setup from Lowe's or even HF would be a problem.

I didnt want a twin ARB due to the extra cost, but glad i did. Asside from the filling of the tires twice as fast, i had one of the two chambers go out on me. I was still able to fill tires and still have lockers. I removed mine and it is now with ARB for warranty. Long story short, its essentially a back up. Something to consider. The extra money helped me out.

Sent from my SM-J320V using WAYALIFE mobile app

BaddestCross

I didnt want a twin ARB due to the extra cost, but glad i did. Asside from the filling of the tires twice as fast, i had one of the two chambers go out on me. I was still able to fill tires and still have lockers. I removed mine and it is now with ARB for warranty. Long story short, its essentially a back up. Something to consider. The extra money helped me out.

Cool. I wasn't aware that they could work independently of each other. I don't run air lockers on my rig so I don't need to worry about that. Anyhow, like I said, if I could've afforded it at the time I would've gotten the twin, but I needed a compressor and some other mods right away when I was first building up my rig. Bottom line, the single has done well by me and what I need it for.

Frydaddy

If you don't mind a little bit of hands-on, I built a true onboard air system for about $100.

Compressor hidden in the rear quarter panel, the engine bay is cramped enough as it is.
There's barely any noise from the compressor, and I don't have to lift the hood to hook up.
IMG_20161218_160403861.jpg

Tank hanging underneath, its nice to have air at the ready.
xrnhrjQ - Imgur.jpg

Chucks mounted front and rear, always close to where you need it.
9swiwrQ - Imgur.jpg

The extra hole on the chuck mounts is for an onboard water system... soon.

SSTM714

If you don't mind a little bit of hands-on, I built a true onboard air system for about $100.

Compressor hidden in the rear quarter panel, the engine bay is cramped enough as it is.
There's barely any noise from the compressor, and I don't have to lift the hood to hook up.
View attachment 255729

Tank hanging underneath, its nice to have air at the ready.
View attachment 255730

Chucks mounted front and rear, always close to where you need it.
View attachment 255731

The extra hole on the chuck mounts is for an onboard water system... soon.

Can you post a few more pics, showing where exactly the compressor is located? I am liking this idea.

Alkihaul

I just finished up a dual compressor setup to run light air tools and fill tires very quickly because. I am less concerned with cargo space then most but it fit nicely under under my tire carrier.

I used VIAIR pumps and a 5 Gallon air tank at 200PSI.

compressor1.jpg

compressor2.jpg

Last edited:

Frydaddy

Can you post a few more pics, showing where exactly the compressor is located? I am liking this idea.

I don't have any more pictures of the setup, but I can add some detail. Cargo space is a top priorit for me, i want to keep it clear as possible, to make more room for expedition gear. This is my main reason for trying to hide everything.

The compressor is behind the driver side tail light, you can see the fuel filler piping in the picture. I wanted to hang it off the right side, but was too lazy to tear apart the interior to make some proper holes. So i just drilled int the floor of the cavity, used the included rubber mounts. It is a Thomas 315CD compressor from a swap meet, decidedly low CFM, but with the tank, it doesn't bother me too much for the price. There is a one way valve on the output to help the reed valves, and the intake side has a moisture separator inside the cabin for clean air.

The chucks are on opposite corners for best coverage. 3/8" piping and 1/4" fittings, same as in most garages. I started by making a direct route between the two chucks along the drivers side. Then added the compressor and tank with T fittings onto the main header.

The tank is a Husky 2 gallon compressor i got off craigslist. I removed the pump and re-plumbed it to fit my needs. reused the blow off plug, header block, overpressure valve and pressure switch. Be sure to mount the switch at 90 degrees to the flow of air. This prevents the switch from tripping early and the pump from cycling too much.

The wiring was later heat shrunk and dielectric grease on the connections, not a big issue in Arizona but "An ounce of prevention...". The pump manual says it draws up to 25 Amps, so the pressure switch fires a relay that directly runs the pump. (there is also a switch in the cab to enable the pressure switch signal.)

If i were to change things, the switch should be on the top side of that header to prevent moisture buildup on the element. Oh, and look for a higher CFM pump, this one is a quality pump, just not for high volume jobs.

Last edited:

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug

Interesting.... never knew they could work independently either. But I suppose, essentially all the twin is, is two compressors mounted together. Hopefully mine doesn't go out :)

scrota76

How does on board air work? And which brand is best and can I see your setup? Thanks!
OIIIIIIIO

I am a true believer in the ARB system. I have filled tires in about 15 to 20 minutes. I believe the ARB I have has a 30 minute run time. I have the CKMA12 ARB compressor. The compressor is mounted under the hood on a Synergy mount.

Since 15 to 20 minutes is to long for me i added a Viair 2 gallon tank that mounts near the rear end. I have not used it yet, but im sure it will shave a lot of time off the air process. 20170221_152557.jpg I had it plumbed to the rear cargo area. 20170221_152643.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Owen19

20170218_132116.jpg i'm a little old school. But my york 210 fills up a 35 inch tire from 18 psi to 29 psi in a little over a minute. You can barely hear it running. Just giving you a different option. You can run power tools easily too with a 5 gal tank.

What are your thoughts on these two units? The high output ARB and the basic ARB?

Sent from my iPhone using [ IMG_0217.jpg url=http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=73415]WAYALIFE mobile app[/url] IMG_0218.jpg

Top Bottom