Expedition to See the Life Blood of Walker Lake Flowing Again

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Open as in the lake or open as in the water flow? The lake is always open although, not too many people visit it anymore. As far as the water goes, it'll only flow if the Weber reservoir upstream is full. This is the first time in 6 years that's happened.
Open as in water flow. I just wasn't sure if they used to open it regularly before this 6 year drought. No pun intended

benatc1

Hooked
Open as in the lake or open as in the water flow? The lake is always open although, not too many people visit it anymore. As far as the water goes, it'll only flow if the Weber reservoir upstream is full. This is the first time in 6 years that's happened.

The difference was definitely noticeable and if predictions are correct, they may see as much as a 15' rise by the middle of summer. That would b HUGE! As far as water rights go, a lot of effort has been made to acquire some and the NFWF has gotten involved to help out as well. There's a lot of work that'll need to be done with the farmers out in Mason Valley but theirs hope.

It should be a lot and there's even talk about re-introducing some native Lahontan Cutthroat Trout into the lake this year if things pan out.

Seriously! It's crazy to see Washoe Lake being a real lake again!

LOL!! But, there's nothing to see out here :crazyeyes:

Oh man, that might be the exact reason to NOT do a book :D

That's crazy there is that much water heading that way! I believe it though because there is still an incredible amount of snow to melt. I remember seeing all kind of signs for water rights doe there so it would be good if they could get some help

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

SDG

Caught the Bug
Looks like a super fun time out exploring. You guys found some great stuff!

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Way Cool! I have never really been to Nevada outside of Las Vegas and Laughlin. I have to change that and check out some of the historical sights there. Maybe get in a trail or two.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Way Cool! I have never really been to Nevada outside of Las Vegas and Laughlin. I have to change that and check out some of the historical sights there. Maybe get in a trail or two.

It's funny because I think when most people think of Nevada, they think of Vegas or the Laughlin area. Tons of cool history there too but it's totally different up here.

I'll have to try and did up some old photos to compare. Use to run around that area alot.

That would be cool. Here are a few that I found on the Save Walker Lake site. This first one is at the Cliffhouse Hotel in 1984 and then in 2015
07b6b0e9d0fea13414a1395dbb11f015.jpg

cf66633bb100713569881148a6017189.jpg

This map shows just how much it's disappeared in just a short amount of time.
d46b825470bee561e52a83180cbecca3.jpg

SilverBack775

This winter has been great for us. I've been in Nevada over 30 years. I've explored all over and have family that ranches in Winnamucca and Elko. Check out the Ruby Mountains. Some of the most beautiful mountain ranges around. I grew up chukar hunting in Nevada and seen some awesome places. Jarbridge, Paradise valley, a couple of my favorite places. Did you know Nevada has more mountain ranges than any other state? Also Nevada means snowcapped in Spanish. Anyway, nice pics Eddie! Glad to see you exploring Nevada! Such an amazing state. I've been all over the US and explored many states. Still nothing compares to the wide open, continuous mountain ranges, and beauty Nevada has. Home means Nevada! Battle Born!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom