My caster

Hey guys! I know this is a common thread type and I hate to put another thread out there about it but I have a situation I couldn't quite find and I need some help.

I recently installed 3 inch EVO plush rides w/ rancho 9000's some core 4x4 adj control arms, and a rear track bar relocation bracket from synergy and I had some synergy ball joints install a couple months ago. Now I followed EVO MFGs instructions with the enforcer lift to set my front lowers about 22 7/8" from eye to eye. I did that after getting the jeep on the ground and putting some miles on it I noticed that my jeep is super wandery and it his a bump and sends me into the next lane. I took it in for an alignment and the guy said I had 0 caster and I should lengthen my control arms about 3/8 of an inch. Before I do that I'm just curious if that sounds about right if I should get a second opinion?

It's my first time with adj arms and trying to set caster etc. I'm not sure where to go from here so I'm hoping for some friendly advice!
Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

madstiles

Uh why didn't the mechanic do it ? That's part of an alignment I'd find a new shop. There's a write up how to set caster. Use the search to find it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I would definitely do it yourself just so you know. My biggest reason for doing most of my own work on vehicles is that I want to know exactly what is done, I don't trust many shops anymore. Checking caster is very easy, then you'll know for sure. If you paid them to check the alignment, they should have done it.

Uh why didn't the mechanic do it ? That's part of an alignment I'd find a new shop. There's a write up how to set caster. Use the search to find it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

I would definitely do it yourself just so you know. My biggest reason for doing most of my own work on vehicles is that I want to know exactly what is done, I don't trust many shops anymore. Checking caster is very easy, then you'll know for sure. If you paid them to check the alignment, they should have done it.

I did the work myself we installed everything. But I took it down for an alignment I wanted to have that done professionally since I'm new to doing my own work etc.

I assumed that since the instructions told me to start there then it would work but I assumed so it won't happen again.

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug

So true. Don't know how some of these places sleep at night. The more you can do yourself the better off you'll be. There's a few good places still out there but not many.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Hey guys! I know this is a common thread type and I hate to put another thread out there about it but I have a situation I couldn't quite find and I need some help.

I recently installed 3 inch EVO plush rides w/ rancho 9000's some core 4x4 adj control arms, and a rear track bar relocation bracket from synergy and I had some synergy ball joints install a couple months ago. Now I followed EVO MFGs instructions with the enforcer lift to set my front lowers about 22 7/8" from eye to eye. I did that after getting the jeep on the ground and putting some miles on it I noticed that my jeep is super wandery and it his a bump and sends me into the next lane. I took it in for an alignment and the guy said I had 0 caster and I should lengthen my control arms about 3/8 of an inch. Before I do that I'm just curious if that sounds about right if I should get a second opinion?

It's my first time with adj arms and trying to set caster etc. I'm not sure where to go from here so I'm hoping for some friendly advice!
Thanks guys!

Sounds like a caster issue to me. The instructions for adjustable control arm length are just a starting point. You will need to dial them in to get the caster set correctly. Make sure you are doing it on a level surface or are adjusting your math if you're on a sloped surface. Start by lengthening 1/4 inch. Check caster. Lengthen or shorten in increasingly small increments as your caster approaches what you want it to be. I think 4.2 degrees is stock, but you may end up with a little less because you also want to keep your front drive shaft in line with the pinion as much as possible.

JK2DR

Just installed the same lift and had the same steering issues after setting the arms to the recommended length. Had some help from PHX JK and he set it on his alignment rack and had to lengthen the control arms

Just installed the same lift and had the same steering issues after setting the arms to the recommended length. Had some help from PHX JK and he set it on his alignment rack and had to lengthen the control arms

Did you measure the distance eye to eye by chance? Or do you have a picture of how far the control arms are out so I can get an idea? That would be awesome!

Top Bottom