Exploring Wyoming

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Hi guys, I am planning another Jeep trip with the wife sometime in late august. Originally thought about going back to colorado and running all the trails in San Juan county that I didn't have time for a few years ago, but decided maybe I should go explore Wyoming. I was there once as a kid, only for a short time in yellowstone and part of the tetons, but I think there is lots to see and enjoy, especially with a Jeep. Would love to hear any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc, if you know of spots worth checking out, towns, trails, parks, best kept secrets, that would be most appreciated. Will be just the wife and I, so I can't do anything crazy like the morrison jeep trail, but open to most things. Thanks for any and all help you can throw my way, always appreciate the knowledge here!

pop2tu

It's been almost 25 years since I lived in Laramie Wyoming. Some interesting areas around there is The Virginian Hotel in Medicine Bow, it was built in early 1900s and derived its name from a novel that the TV series The Virginian was based on.
There is also Vedauwoo pronounced Vee-Duh-Voo, there is camping, hiking, and rock climbing. It's some beautiful scenery. Not much for off-roading.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverKill

I have not been there is joining the army, from Sheridan, near the MT border on I-90. There isa nice trail called Red Grade. Take the highway up the mountain, see fallen city, go to Bear Lodge, there are trails there. Stay at the lodge or stay at one of the cabins at Arrowhead. I think in August, Sheridan hosts all American Indian days. Check out the ghost towns of Atlantic City and South Pass City. South Pass is still occupied and maintained as it was in the 1800's. There are several old forts and Indian/Calvary fights, ft Phil Kearny, wagon box fight. If going to be in Sheridan, check out Trails End Museum. Was the home of John Kendrick, the founding father of the cattlemen association. Check the Sheridan Inn, frequented and owned by Wild Bill Cody. Go to the Mint Bar, the bar scene on Any Which Way But Loose was filmed and the guy was knocked out the front window. There is Custer's last stand just over the border in MT. Then there are all the interesting named towns, 10 Sleep (where the original 10 settlers slept and founded the town), Chug Water (yes the river sounds like it is chugging along). Go see Medicine Wheel, where the Native American believed it had some sort of mythical or magical powers. Go see Devils Tower. You can travel from north to south or vice versa and not be on pavement. Visit Thermopolis, world largest mineral hot springs. Tons of stuff to do, have fun.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

DELIVERANCE

Just an idea but I believe there are some of those transcontinental airway concrete arrows around Wyoming as well. Might be cool to check some of those out as well.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I have not been there is joining the army, from Sheridan, near the MT border on I-90. There isa nice trail called Red Grade. Take the highway up the mountain, see fallen city, go to Bear Lodge, there are trails there. Stay at the lodge or stay at one of the cabins at Arrowhead. I think in August, Sheridan hosts all American Indian days. Check out the ghost towns of Atlantic City and South Pass City. South Pass is still occupied and maintained as it was in the 1800's. There are several old forts and Indian/Calvary fights, ft Phil Kearny, wagon box fight. If going to be in Sheridan, check out Trails End Museum. Was the home of John Kendrick, the founding father of the cattlemen association. Check the Sheridan Inn, frequented and owned by Wild Bill Cody. Go to the Mint Bar, the bar scene on Any Which Way But Loose was filmed and the guy was knocked out the front window. There is Custer's last stand just over the border in MT. Then there are all the interesting named towns, 10 Sleep (where the original 10 settlers slept and founded the town), Chug Water (yes the river sounds like it is chugging along). Go see Medicine Wheel, where the Native American believed it had some sort of mythical or magical powers. Go see Devils Tower. You can travel from north to south or vice versa and not be on pavement. Visit Thermopolis, world largest mineral hot springs. Tons of stuff to do, have fun.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thank you for that, I have quite a bit to google lol

Just an idea but I believe there are some of those transcontinental airway concrete arrows around Wyoming as well. Might be cool to check some of those out as well.

I will try my best to get to at least 1. It will probably be only one because the wife will get mad if I keep bouncing around looking for arrows lol

Top Bottom