Tahuya State Forest 4x4 Trails

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Tahuya is a trail system that is located about 30 minutes from my house and I visit there often. It offers many trails from novice to more extreme. Elfendahl Pass staging area is located at the trail head and about 10 minutes from the town of Belfair, WA. There is camping allowed at the staging area. A Washington Discover Pass is required.

The state forest is relatively low in elevation so the trails can be ridden year round without the fear of finding a snow packed trail. There are also many great views of the Olympic mountain range. IMG_3930.jpg IMG_2889.jpg The trails primary cut through forest or clear cut areas.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
The majority of the trails can be done in a stock jeep. They wind through the trees and you will encounter obstacles like smaller rocks, tree roots and the occasional stump. IMG_2876.jpg IMG_2884.jpg IMG_2874.jpg IMG_3178.jpg IMG_3913.jpg

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
You can find water and mud throughout the forest but most of it is no more than a foot deep with a rocky bottom. IMG_3211.jpg IMG_2820.jpg The is one area know as Mud Lake and you can quickly find yourself in a deep hole if not careful. Water is surrounded by stumps so there plenty of places to test your flex. IMG_3884.jpg IMG_3995.jpg

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Jus recently the trails have been re-worked to provide more challenge for those who seek it. Also a new trail has been made that acts as a gate keeper to keep those who don't belong away from the bigger rock gardens.

The West Loop can be reached by taking The South Loop trail. There is a small rock wall gate keeper that made me slide along my sliders to get over. IMG_4442.jpg IMG_4445.jpg

To make it to the bigger rock climbs you must first wind your way through tight switchbacks of uneven ground and numerous stumps. It would be extremely difficult for a four door on 35s. IMG_4492.jpg IMG_4491.jpg IMG_4470.jpg IMG_4489.jpg
The trail is a one way enter and one way out with no turnouts. A Scout had broke his driveshaft on a stump and had to limp out before we could get on the trail.

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Once you've maxed out your suspension flex a 100 times and avoided all the obstacles you arrive at the new rock hills. The smaller one was tackled with ease. IMG_4482.jpg IMG_4483.jpg IMG_4485.jpg
If you feel up to the task then you can try the much bigger one. IMG_4454.jpg IMG_4453.jpg
So far only rigs on 40s have been able to make it with the exception of 1 JKU on 37s. I attempted but could not get any traction to get much of anywhere. I decided to stop because I realized we were the only vehicle there and the staging area was a couple miles the other direction. Next time.

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
They also re-worked two other sections of trail. One is Yellow Jacket which is a rocky climb. Here's a photo of the hill earlier this year. IMG_2893.jpg More rock has now been filled in. IMG_4459.jpg
There is also a stretch of trail that caused you to articulate and flex every corner for the length of the trail. They now have dug it out and each hole can almost swallow a whole jeep. It's a little fun and you will be in some off camber situations. IMG_4488.jpg IMG_4486.jpg IMG_4487.jpg

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Tahuya is a great place to hone your skills or learn new ones. Great for beginners and has spots to challenge the experienced. I also forgot to mention that the majority of the scratches down the side of my jeep is from the brush that crowds the trail at times. IMG_4441.jpg

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Awesome photos! Ill check this place out when I get out there.
When are you making your way over?

Great photos! I need to go there sometime. All the trails I've been so far are to the East side along the Hwy 2 and 90 corridors.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Those are some of my favorite trails. I still want to do the Naches Trail and check out Liberty.

Sahara_Maverick

I've been to Naches. Very nice.
Others I went (and then back again): Walker, Twin Lakes, Fortune Creek, Iron Goat, etc... Also did part of the BRD trails. Beautiful place.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom