Back seat removal?

So on my last camping trip I realized how much space the back seat takes up in my '15 JKU. Has any body removed theirs and come up with some kind of storage solution for better utilization of that space?
In my '97 TJ I was able to build something that had shelves and also had a flat space for the Ausie to ride and would like to see what others have come up with.

Thanks, Steve.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Build a shelf for the back. That is probably one of the BEST things I could have done on my TJ. Lots of really nice ones on here, let me see if I can find a link.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
This is a Tuffy security deck, quite a few people run this too. It's metal, a little more secure than making one yourself but if you build one yourself, it's way cheaper. The security deck is about $350.

Picture taken from mudmobeeler.... hopefully he doesn't mind I'm sharing this picture here :)

attachment.php

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Instead of removing the rear seats, why not just fold them down so you can keep a flat floor? If you take them out for purposes of building some kind of storage, you'd have to come up with a way of supporting a shelf (or whatever) across that gap where the seats would normally be folded into.

Funny I know

It sounds funny to want to remove the rear seats on a JKU, but with two people, dog or two, and a week on the trail I can use use a little more space and the seats calculate to to 8 cu Ft.

In my TJ I made a platform that covered that hole behind the front seats. It had two trap doors on the top and two access doors one on either side. It was a very handy to keep stuff that I wanted to keep in the Jeep full time and the top had some thick carpet that was padded in order to be dog friendly. It also had two 6x9s with an amp that was a vast improvement over the stock TJ dash speakers.

I thought that it would nice to see what other folks here have come up with, and it they don't mind "borrow" their ideas.

Steve

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Yeah I know you wanted to remove the rear seats but figured a shelf in the back can help, as you can store stuff above it and below it.

Two people and a couple dogs in a JKU should fit just fun. You must be taking half your house :crazyeyes: lol

Not the entire house

The second person is my wife and she likes to travel well accessorized if you know what I mean. It is more work, but worth it to have her along with me and the dogs enjoy her company too.

Steve

ZachJKUR

As far as building a platform, you should look at @Sharkey shark tank build. Sorry I'm new and not sure how to link to threads from the Android app.

Edit: it's approximately the first 15 or so pages

Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
It sounds funny to want to remove the rear seats on a JKU, but with two people, dog or two, and a week on the trail I can use use a little more space and the seats calculate to to 8 cu Ft.

In my TJ I made a platform that covered that hole behind the front seats. It had two trap doors on the top and two access doors one on either side. It was a very handy to keep stuff that I wanted to keep in the Jeep full time and the top had some thick carpet that was padded in order to be dog friendly. It also had two 6x9s with an amp that was a vast improvement over the stock TJ dash speakers.

I thought that it would nice to see what other folks here have come up with, and it they don't mind "borrow" their ideas.

Steve

Take a look at this then: https://www.goose-gear.com/collections/jeep-jku-4-door-2010-2014/products/jeep-jku-100-sleeping-platform-for-floor-plate-2007-2016-4-door-jeeps

They made trap doors to access the space underneath the false floor, but it gives you a flat surface from the trunk up to the front seats.

Jeep_JKU_100_Delete.jpg

WP_20160722_17_42_35_Rich.jpg

jeeeep

Hooked
Take a look at this then: https://www.goose-gear.com/collections/jeep-jku-4-door-2010-2014/products/jeep-jku-100-sleeping-platform-for-floor-plate-2007-2016-4-door-jeeps

They made trap doors to access the space underneath the false floor, but it gives you a flat surface from the trunk up to the front seats.

View attachment 261060

View attachment 261061

I'm working on something similar, I used to fold the seats down but it's wasted space.

I'd leave the seats up so I could store things under and on-top but I think removing them is easier - last time I had more than the driver and a passenger was.... :thinking:

wow! just saw what they were asking for their system... :eek:

Last edited:

matthewd5

I really like to hold everything down when I am bouncing down a rocky trail...

So I came up with a 3/4" plywood board cut to fit perfectly in the back of my 2 door JK

I started with a rubber mat I had in the back of the Jeep, it was a perfect match to the contours of the back without the seat installed

Then I used for bolts with hooks on the end and I aligned holes in the board to hook onto the four loops meant to hold the back seat in place

On the board I found these neat rails that are totally adjustable, so I space them out to fit my off-road emergency kit and assorted tools, I even put two small ones on each side of my yeti cooler

Best thing is that you can just takeout a couple of wood screws and reconfigure the whole thing

I've got a couple of good pictures, I should have taken more in the early steps, but basically take a sheet of good plywood (I'm a big fan of Baltic birch) take a rear cargo mat and flip it over on top of the plywood and just trace the mat and then use a skill saw/jig saw and cut out the outline

This site isn't letting me post any photos...

Matthew

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug

View attachment 261060

View attachment 261061

nice lockable trap doors which become so useless from the looks of it once you take off the doors :eek: .......

am considering this as well only my thought is to put the slide for the fridge in behind the drivers seat then build up and over it before dropping back down to a raised platform for the remainder to stow all the camping gear and other things that remain in the jeep pretty much 24/7 , cover the top in order to make it a bit more weather proof than just plywood , add in a few drop doors where the doors would be so things remain secure when the doors are off ...

Top Bottom