Can't decide 4.88 vs 5.13 with 35s on Dana 30

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned early on, a 5.13 pinion on a Dana 30 is really really small. It will be a considerable weak point especially if you lock up your front. Aside from RPM, this is what I would be concerned with.

pedroj14

So I read a bunch forums but still undecided. I am running nitto 35s with 20x12 on my sport 2016 A/T on Dana 30, sorry not 33 typo, planning to maybe change to 37s someday.

I spend most of the time on pavement/highways until weekends. im still on stock gears with my sport 2016. getting annoyed

with the constant downshift. Suggestions would be nice. should I go 4.88 vs 5.13? I trust this forum so much. so I better hear

out people here.

I just started running 4:88 on 35s with a manual. The power is back! from the 3:21 that I had stock. It sits right around 2800rpm at 70mph and I am getting 20MPG on average from my 91 octane tune on my superchips and driving conservatively.

Nespoli1

Everyone why we are on the subject. I would like to run 37’s. However different forums say different things. I have a 15 JKU sport. Sounds like I don’t need more that a set of rubicon axels. So if I decided to change front axles what’s a decent one that will turn the 37s without an issue. I live in Florida and only have trails. No rocks or even hills. I don’t want to break the bank and it sounds like shoring up my Dana 30 and slapping in 4:88 will be a waste of money????

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Everyone why we are on the subject. I would like to run 37’s. However different forums say different things. I have a 15 JKU sport. Sounds like I don’t need more that a set of rubicon axels. So if I decided to change front axles what’s a decent one that will turn the 37s without an issue. I live in Florida and only have trails. No rocks or even hills. I don’t want to break the bank and it sounds like shoring up my Dana 30 and slapping in 4:88 will be a waste of money????

4.88 is a good gear for a 15 jku with 37’s. As for axles rubicon axles are the exact same as the d30, just a bigger pumpkin. If you add C gussets that will help your d30 last longer but it will eventually still bend or break.

If you really wanna be safe on 37’s and not ever have to worry about it I suggest getting a dynatrac pr44

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
4.88 is a good gear for a 15 jku with 37’s. As for axles rubicon axles are the exact same as the d30, just a bigger pumpkin. If you add C gussets that will help your d30 last longer but it will eventually still bend or break.

If you really wanna be safe on 37’s and not ever have to worry about it I suggest getting a dynatrac pr44
If you wanna be safe on 37s and NEVER worry about it I suggest a 60 :)

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
Let me put it this way. If I find out your running a D30 with 5.13s, you would be officially uninvited to any wheeling event I was planning. I’ve seen it way too many times. It’s gonna break with any slightly challenging trail and end the day prematurely for everyone else. Please don’t. Go 4.88 max on D30 or save your money and go D44. Please do yourself (and others) the favor.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Let me put it this way. If I find out your running a D30 with 5.13s, you would be officially uninvited to any wheeling event I was planning. I’ve seen it way too many times. It’s gonna break with any slightly challenging trail and end the day prematurely for everyone else. Please don’t. Go 4.88 max on D30 or save your money and go D44. Please do yourself (and others) the favor.

Glad to know your the type of guy that would turn someone away just because you don’t wanna help fix the jeep or tow them off the trail at the day. :naw:

Top Bottom