New Cumming Crate Engines

DP1120

A lot of people seem to forget that torque and horsepower range means more than the overall numbers. If your motor is putting out 300ftlbs of torque at 2700 rpm versus 6000rpm that's a big difference. When was the last time you revved up to 6k in the rocks? Diesel JKs would be great.

I'd rather have 300lbs of torque in an area I'm consistently driving opposed to my overdrive passing gear.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

This is true but for most diesels 3000-3200 is redline. I have no idea where they would set it on this particular motor but most diesels do not have the ability to go to rpm like that so its still not really optimum in my opinion. Just a consideration as well.

MotoCult

Torque: 267 lb-ft @1500-3000 RPM*

161 hp @ 3600*RPM

I heard this motor alone will be $9000 and then you need adapter for the tranny and motor mounts etc etc. I have been watching and waiting for this engine to come out but for
that price I think I will do an LS swap when the time comes.

J

JKDream

This is true but for most diesels 3000-3200 is redline. I have no idea where they would set it on this particular motor but most diesels do not have the ability to go to rpm like that so its still not really optimum in my opinion. Just a consideration as well.

It was posted in the photograph on page 1 :D
I think diesels are a much better fit for JK's (at least for us wheelers).
We don't need high horsepower, rather torque off road.

Torque: 267 lb-ft @1500-3000 RPM*

161 hp @ 3600*RPM

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
It was posted in the photograph on page 1 :D

Personally I prefer both because I live in a region where there are lots of mountain passes to get to the trails and I don't trailer my jeep that's why my 3.8 sucks and I will ultimately go with an LS. The 3.8 has plenty of power on the rocks just sucks on the freeway.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Benito

Caught the Bug

That makes sense if all your Jeep is used for is off roading, I wouldn't want it in a daily driver that needs to be on the highway 90% of the time, but on that note it's pretty impractical to have 37s on a DD that is 90% highway too.

On another note, at work recently we've been getting more and more diesels and I hate the smell, I would not want to be near one all day, they smell horrible and are annoying. I can see why people like them but it's not for me. Give me a LS3

Last edited:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
That makes sense if all your Jeep is used for is off roading, I would want it in a daily driver that needs to be on the highway 90% of the time, but on that note it's pretty impractical to have 37s on a DD that is 90% highway too.

On another note, at work recently we've been getting more and more diesels and I hate the smell, I would not want to be near one all day, they smell horrible and are annoying. I can see why people like them but it's not for me. Give me a LS3

I agree. I'd still rather have a V8 gas burner.

J

JKDream

That makes sense if all your Jeep is used for is off roading, I wouldn't want it in a daily driver that needs to be on the highway 90% of the time, but on that note it's pretty impractical to have 37s on a DD that is 90% highway too.

True - really depends on the motor though. Some diesels make great horsepower.
All a matter of opinion I suppose.

I agree. I'd still rather have a V8 gas burner.

I would too, but I doubt they'd ever offer one from the factory.
Given the choices, I'd expect to see a factory diesel JK & the V6 as options before a V8.
If that was the case I'd almost certainly go diesel for reliability.
500,000+ miles out of a motor sounds good to me.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
WAYYYY too small for a JKU, much less a JKU with full steel everywhere, big tires, etc. The JKU needs the 3.0L diesel with 406ft/lbs not this little 106hp and 206tq munchkin. This would be better for the older smaller stuff.

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Agree with above. Too small for a built JK. I think if I ever actually bothered with this diesel motor it would only be for dropping it in a Willys or maybe an older CJ.

Desertman

Everyone must have missed the point, that this is designed to meet 1999 and prior years emission standards, so it isn't for the JK, anyway.

Yes I watched the video and did some research it made me look for an older jeep to fit the engine in. I used to drive a series 2 light weight military jeep at work with a cummins engine and it was fun.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked

We have 4 2011+, 3/4-1ton pickups at work. 1 Ram and 3 Fords. With the new emissions regulations they don't smell at all. Aren't crazy "rattly" like the old diesel motors. They make great horse power and torque. Unfortunately I doubt you could get the 6.7L Super Duty engine in a JK...haha. The only downfall with these motors is how restricted they are with all the emissions junk in them. If you took it off I bet it'd free up another 100HP.
Everyone must have missed the point, that this is designed to meet 1999 and prior years emission standards, so it isn't for the JK, anyway.

This. Maybe one day they'll offer a conversion that meets 1999+ emissions with a bit more HP and torque.

Here in Victorville there are 1000's of diesel VW's sitting in purgatory after their emission scandal. It's too bad.

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Yes I watched the video and did some research it made me look for an older jeep to fit the engine in. I used to drive a series 2 light weight military jeep at work with a cummins engine and it was fun.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

This. Maybe one day they'll offer a conversion that meets 1999+ emissions with a bit more HP and torque.

Here in Victorville there are 1000's of diesel VW's sitting in purgatory after their emission scandal. It's too bad.

Yes. I knew everyone didn't miss it, but I'm sure some did, because this particular engine is irrelevant to a JK Jeep.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug

I'm not saying it's necessarily the most practical either. But when set up right the 37's and my DD arent really impractical besides cost of the tire, but then again my 37" coopers are still cheaper than many high performance street tires. I still get about the same mileage as my girlfriends stock jk and has the same power as hers.

We have 4 2011+, 3/4-1ton pickups at work. 1 Ram and 3 Fords. With the new emissions regulations they don't smell at all. Aren't crazy "rattly" like the old diesel motors. They make great horse power and torque. Unfortunately I doubt you could get the 6.7L Super Duty engine in a JK...haha. The only downfall with these motors is how restricted they are with all the emissions junk in them. If you took it off I bet it'd free up another 100HP.

somebody put a 5.9 in a Jeep. I want to say it was MotorTrend. Getting rid of the Emissions crap on a 6.7 is way more than 100hp. Just putting in a K&N air filter is 50 HP. I loved my deleted 6.7

**Edit i looked it up and it was Fred from Dirt Everyday

Last edited:
Top Bottom