Proper Inflation Toyo 33x12.5R17 AT2

Jacalore

Open Country AT2
Moving to a bigger, wider tire on my 2DR JK
New tires/wheels ordered. Meanwhile, I'm trying to figure the proper inflation?

I tried the Open Country Inflation/Load document with assorted tables, but still can't figure what I should run my Jeep at. I know the Wrangler 2DR JK is lighter than most trucks, so how does this figure into inflation psi?

And I run the beach often, used to air down to 18 (from 35) on my stock 17" Jeep wheel/tires. These new tires are wider, I'm assuming better traction in loose sand.

Any advice, experiences, formulas, etc., much appreciated!

BdugJK

For normal driving try the chalk test. That way you get the best wear pattern for the tire which will be specific to your jeep. As far as airing down, trial and error. Maybe start at 20 and work your way down. See what's best for your driving style.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jacalore

Did the calc and it's way low for everyday driving?

Curb Weight: Wrangler X, Man. Trans. 3760 lbs

Toyo Inflation:
Max load x 4 = 10,140
Div Curb Wt = 37%
x max psi (65) = 24psi

Jacalore

I'll set all 4 tires at different psi, run the chalk test, see which is most even. Run them all that psi. Adjust from there.

GS-RON

I have 32/11 X 17 ATII's load range E on my daily driver which weighs about 4500lbs. 40psi in the front and 38psi in the rear has gotten me a nice ride, good grip on the road and 60K of tread life. Tires are a little more than 1/2 worn at 60K. I run them regularly at 20psi on dirt roads w/o any issues...
Hope this helps...

YMMV RON

Jacalore

Thanks, Ron, very helpful!
I've been told the chalk test doesn't work on these heavy sidewall tires. Gathering all the threads, distilling down, popular psi is around 28, which seems low. Even for a 2dr. But I'm sure these tires can handle it. Thanks.

I run my 33 tires at the jeep recommended psi of 35 on the highway and get up to 22 mpg. On a easy/moderate trail I go down to 28 so you can drive to a gas station and air up. On rocks about 22 psi and if a station is fairly close I still drive there to air up. Went down to 13 psi on one trail and I think that was overkill.

jesse3638

Hooked
Thanks, Ron, very helpful!
I've been told the chalk test doesn't work on these heavy sidewall tires. Gathering all the threads, distilling down, popular psi is around 28, which seems low. Even for a 2dr. But I'm sure these tires can handle it. Thanks.
Thinking how the chalk test wouldn't work on a heavier sidewall? You'd just need less air pressure to achieve the same of a lighter sidewall. That's the purpose of the chalk test as all tires in the same size are not equal.

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jacalore

I have zero experience with these tires, I'm just retelling things I've been told. They're good tires, I'll have to experiment.

Top Bottom