So how many YJ owners are there here on WAL?

lenny65ss

Like it or not changing the motor will always effect it though not like some people will claim. Mostly depends on if the motor you put in is a good motor and the install is done properly. That said if you are using the jeep at all then thou will decrease the value. Jeeps are great and hold value better than most, but one thing yup keep in mind. No matter if it is a hot rod or a jeep you not likely ever get back three amount of money you spend on it. If you are planning to keep it then habe fun with it even if it doesn't go on tails you can still enjoy it. The engine swap is pretty much a preference. Me I would do the swap n the next guy you ask may not. When j had my last cj7 people thought I was insane for taking it off road, because it was on such good shape, and it was. But I still did out and enjoyed the hell out of that little jeep. Oddly enough when I bought my 2016 Rubicon people said the same exact thing about how they would never take it off road because it was way to nice of a vehicle. No matter what you do or don't do someone will always disagree with what you are doing lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thx for your reply,
I guess because I buy & sell used cars all my life it's always a concern of mine,VALUE VALUES... I have many cars , this jeep I bought to flip but after playing with it I have released that it's a fun thing!And besides I stole it!! So I guess I'm gonna just Drop a inline 6into it Not worry about Value , I'm thinking it will increase the Value because my guys will do the install and it will look better than factory and it'll fly IMG_0431.jpg
New picture with light bar and hood decals!!
[emoji736]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lenny65ss

Like it or not changing the motor will always effect it though not like some people will claim. Mostly depends on if the motor you put in is a good motor and the install is done properly. That said if you are using the jeep at all then thou will decrease the value. Jeeps are great and hold value better than most, but one thing yup keep in mind. No matter if it is a hot rod or a jeep you not likely ever get back three amount of money you spend on it. If you are planning to keep it then habe fun with it even if it doesn't go on tails you can still enjoy it. The engine swap is pretty much a preference. Me I would do the swap n the next guy you ask may not. When j had my last cj7 people thought I was insane for taking it off road, because it was on such good shape, and it was. But I still did out and enjoyed the hell out of that little jeep. Oddly enough when I bought my 2016 Rubicon people said the same exact thing about how they would never take it off road because it was way to nice of a vehicle. No matter what you do or don't do someone will always disagree with what you are doing lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

I agree with that,I'm going with the original inline 6 ... today I put a light bar and hood decals look
IMG_0431.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Back

I use to be active on this forum with my 2013 jk on 37s but sold it before I went to college for a mustang that a built and sold this past summer for a 2014 GMC sierra with a plan to buy a TJ as well. I ended up spending more then I wanted on the truck though so I purchased a YJ a few months ago instead that needed some work.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1450284474.503518.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1438876137.095140.jpg IMG_5490.JPG IMG_5491.JPG IMG_5492.JPG

brushfireboar

I have a 94 YJ and a 17 JKU. I absolutely love my YJ. I asked for a 4 inch lift kit for Christmas and I noticed some Rough county boxes in the garage yesterday. Woo hoo I got a project!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

laffman

I started wheeling with a YJ when the ex-wife bought a new '92 YJ 4 banger. I got my current '90 YJ back in '05 and will never get rid of it. I've done too much work on her to let her go. I'd never get the money back I've put into her.

IMG_20130809_102324_318.jpg

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Where did you get the axel, what lift did you get, and was it worth the price?

That axle is a Ford 8.8 which is found in multiple vehicles like mustangs, F150s and Explorers. The Explorer axle is the closest axle width to the stock D35. I bought it for around $125. $500 for the whole swap which included all new brakes, brackets and e brake cables. If you get out of a 2000 or newer one then you can get it with disc brakes and a LSD. The lift is a 4” Rough Country. I was very happy with the performance of that jeep and wish I still had it.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
With all the recent posts from YJ owners I have really started to miss my old 88. Thinking I might get ahold of one soon for a "stupid big" build. I really think the JK is about as big as I want to go to keep it street comfortable.

laffman

You want a '95-'01 Explorer 8.8. These have the disk brakes and LSD. Make sure the axle has the LSD. There are LSD and non-LSD versions. Yes it was worth the money and effort. Stronger axle, a LSD and disk brake upgrade for less than $800, definitely worth it.

clarkt444

You want a '95-'01 Explorer 8.8. These have the disk brakes and LSD. Make sure the axle has the LSD. There are LSD and non-LSD versions. Yes it was worth the money and effort. Stronger axle, a LSD and disk brake upgrade for less than $800, definitely worth it.

How difficult is the install?

laffman

How difficult is the install?

A weekend project if you or a buddy has a 220v welder. You need new spring perches and shock mounts. You'll need to redo the brake lines. Most likely the ones that come on the axle rusted beyond saving. You can tie them into your existing brake line 2 ways. Either use the Explorer brake hose coming down from the frame like my buddy did. This has the hose coming from the frame then does a "Y" with the driver side hose already attached. You run a hard line to the passenger side.

IMG953238.jpg

Or you can use your existing hose and weld brackets for the Explorer hoses to the housing like I did.

1222171527a.jpg

You also need a flange adapter because the 8.8 has a flat flange instead of a yoke for the driveshaft.

1222171526a.jpg

The is the kit I got. http://www.knowwhere2jeep.com/know-where-2jeep-complete-ford-8-8-install-kit-for-87-90-wrangler-yj.html. He has the best price for a complete kit, which includes a nice SOLID diff cover. But he's slow as hell to get you everything. You need to keep emailing about your order.

Last edited:
Top Bottom