JEEP TRAIL OFFROAD GPS: What GPS is everyone running?

woof359

cheep

just cheep, Michelle's work supplies her a cell with unlimited data, saved our butts many a time when were out of town

Taz81

GPS Devices

Okay so i'm sorta poking around and looking at GPS's or even programs just to load onto a Tablet whatever. For general road use is ok but mainly for like Offroad trails and stuff of that nature. 4x4, hiking, etc. Can anyone recommend what y'all think would be considered in y'all opinions about them? Hope i made sense just now, tired from just getting off work lol.

MDK210

If you get a specific "off road" nav they'll just be preloaded with routes and costs you a ton of money plus their updates are questionable. I did a lot of research on this 6 months ago and most of the folks reviewing those products recommend sticking with Google Maps and downloading an offline version of the area you are going. For example, I have the entire area of Moab downloaded as an offline map that updates atuomatically every 30 days or whenever I tell it. In addition, I have a 4x4 App from FunTreks (not free) that has pre-loaded routes from their books and it highlights the route in pink and uses my GPS to determine if I've gone off route but it's not turn by turn nav or anything.

An app called Alltrails is pretty good and free but isn't really nav. I've not seen any nav system that does turn by turn off road so at the end of the day it's just pre-loaded routes if you get a nav systems or an app that just gets you to the trailhead then stops working after you lose reception. Google Maps allows you to create maps with different waypoints but it doesn't know who to connect them all together if it's offroad so that's no use. Magellan makes the most recognized off road nav but it's a lot for a little. Bottom line, do your research and watch some YouTube vids.

WJCO

Meme King
Merged thread here.

I have a Garmin etrex20 for hiking and download Garmin's satellite maps. I think it's $35 per year for the map description. I love everything about it except that the screen is really small.

For my Jeep, I use and ipad and have Gaia maps on it ($40 per year) and plug a BadElf GPS chip into it. That works great for the Jeep on trails.

Last edited:

MericaMade

Trails website and best GPS?

Hey guys, been trying to search but keep getting an error on the website. What websites do you suggest to help find trails in SoCal like San Bernardino, Riverside, and Orange County.

Also is there a prefered GPS most people like to use?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I-Eat-Mud

Before you get a response on this, this subject is treading a fine line that the forum doesnt like to discuss. https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...S-Coordinates-or-Trail-Directions-on-WAYALIFE

For an actual GPS, I use my phone and the app motionX GPS. I've played with Gaia, but motion X is my go-to. I don't always have a GPS signal, but most of the time I am surprised at how good it is.

As far as websites to find trails, i'll stay silent on that discussion, and refer to my link above.

MericaMade

Thank you. I read where it said no GPS coordinates and directions to trails but if this is a wobbler question mods can close.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you. I read where it said no GPS coordinates and directions to trails but if this is a wobbler question mods can close.

There no need to close this thread. All we ask is that people NOT post GPS coordinates or directions to trails here on this forum. We'd prefer that people NOT direct others to where information like this can be found as well being that would be just as bad. Unfortunately, there's way too much information online as it is and sadly, I'm sure you can find all of it with little effort.

MericaMade

There no need to close this thread. All we ask is that people NOT post GPS coordinates or directions to trails here on this forum. We'd prefer that people NOT direct others to where information like this can be found as well being that would be just as bad. Unfortunately, there's way too much information online as it is and sadly, I'm sure you can find all of it with little effort.

Thank you, I appreciate the heads up and clarification.

desrt4x

I use Gaia GPS on my phone and IPad along with Leadnav.
Gaia to me is very user friendly and it is easy to download maps.
Leadnav is easy to use but takes a little more time to download maps.

Rivertoys

I spend a lot of time looking at Google Earth to find cool stuff. Then I create paths in Google Earth, and import them into Gaia. I'm using Gaia in my iPhone, but plan to get a Garmin external GPS antenna and switch to my wife's old iPad soon....

Top Bottom